Where to put furnace thermostat?

Hi everyone,
I have a simple forced hot air furnace. The house is a 200 year old post-beam cape with the front two rooms original, while the back half of the house is a 30 year old addition. The thermostat is located in a front room that we seldom use and is drafty. It would seem to me that the thermostat would perform better if located in the central part of the house away from doors, windows and drafts.
I'm about to purchase a programable thermostat and I'd like to run it to the furnace from a dirrerent location.
-Jeff

the
the
Stats are typically located near the return air grill. 60 inches above finished floor.

and exactly where did you get that tid bit of info? Bubba

room
thermostat
from
WTF, since when??
~kjpro~
Simple enough- where you want the air temp held near the set point. Obviously that should be somewhere in the airflow loop from/to furnace, i.e. not in a closed-off room. John