Where to place shed door?

Door is going to be on the 10 foot wall of a 10x8 shed. Are there any practical considerations as to whether it's in the center of the wall or offset to the side almost to the end of the wall? Would one cofiguration result in a better use of available space? Thanks...
al wrote:

Seems it would depend entirely on what you use the space for, what kind of door and how it opens. If you use it as a shop, you don't want the door to hit you if someone else enters. If you have a monster lawn tractor to drive in, then perhaps the door should be at the end where you park it. Hanging, sliding door might give you more useable space.

Put it in the middle. If you put it to one side, the 8' wall just in front of the door is less usable. You'll also have to put a turn in the center aisle to get to the back corner.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement
al wrote:

In that case, center.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

- - If there's a hurricane, porch chairs would go in there.
I don't live in hurricane country, but that last statement just sounds wierd to me. With all the newsclips of hurricane damage that we see, the visual of you calmly storing your porch chairs as cows, cars and rooftops go flying past is pretty strange.
I assume that the shed itself will be built to withstand hurricane force winds. Otherwise, what's the point of storing the chairs in there?
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Perhaps you haven't lived where the wind blows regularly... :)
It can blow sufficiently hard enough to blow stuff like lawn chairs, trash cans, etc., around sufficiently that putting them inside is wise long before even a small shed will actually be destroyed...living in W KS despite no hurricanes, I can fully comprehend the concept.

18 gauge G-90 (whatever that is) galvanized steel framing with a wind loading of 3 second gusts of 150 mph. Wood frame models have T-wall bracing and hurricane clips and straps from the floor joists to the roof and everywhere in between. Might be better built than my house.
al wrote:

What keeps the whole thing from just flying away intact, though? :)

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Cows, cars, and the like don't go flying about in a hurricane.
The winds are steady at 74+ mph; one can walk around during a hurricane. Lawn chairs and trash cans traveling at 80mph, are, however, a hazard.
I have an 8x8 garden shed, soon to be replaced by a 12x22 minibarn. The 48" door of the shed is centered, and I believe that is the most efficient arrangement.
FWIW, the minibarn will have a 5' door centered along the long wall, with "loft" door on one gable end.
IMO, centered is more aesthetically pleasing as well.
-Steve

al wrote:

In swing or out swing?
--

dadiOH
al wrote:

Put it over to one side. Then if you have to run a long ladder through the opening, you can stick more of it inside before you have to swing the back end. It might make the difference between whether a long item fits inside or doesn't.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

If your door opens to the outside, it matters little.

On that size, it really wouldn't matter. Personally, I'd center it on the ten foot side. This will keep a lot of wall space, and let you have a straight shot to take items in and out.
Steve