Where to get shelf hooks like this?

Hi,

I have a set of shelves hanging from the joists in the basement (from a previous owner). They are simple wooden shelves resting on the metal supports that you can see here:

I can't seem to find these metal pieces anywhere. If someone recognizes them, perhaps they could let me know where to buy them (or at least what they are called).

Many thanks in advance,

Pavel

Reply to
SamTakoy

I don't know, but when you find out, I want some.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Try

Here's how I found 'em:

  1. Did a Google search for shelf hangers,
  2. Switched to "Images",
  3. Found a picture resembling yours,
  4. Right-clicked on the picture, and looked at the "Properties" line,
  5. This provided the URL of the picture, imbedded in which was the name of the website.

8" deep are $3.00 a pair, 24" are $5.80 a pair. In-between sizes have in-between prices.

Best of luck.

Aside: I'll bet with a sturdy board (say, 2x12) and a couple of metal studs driven in the board (say, 1/2" apart) you could take something a bit heavier than coat-hanger wire and bend up your own. Be an interesting (and possibly rewarding) project.

Reply to
HeyBub

Once you find the image you can click on the image then on the "Website for this image" on the right hand side too. I tried something similar but used different search words.

Reply to
JimT

Don't you ever tire of providing intentionally misleading , inaccurate or in this case dangerous information to folks?

Reply to
George

Too bad AHR doesn't have a FAQ, with pictures hyperlinked to it. (or would that make it into a website?) Anyway, ISTR the quest for those hangars pops up on here at least once a year or more. Remember them well from my childhood, in many basements and garages. Most every hardware store had them. Haven't seen them retail in decades.

I'm dubious about rolling your own. Bet they go through a heat step after bending, like chain. I think if you rolled your own, they would either be saggy, or the tight corners would be brittle.

Note that that form of shelving is not real good for home canned veggies- any tremors in the house, and they do act like a rope ladder. It sucks when glass jars walk off a cliff.

Reply to
aemeijers

Of course not ! That's why I'm here - to share knowledge, ideas, dreams.

Why are you here?

Reply to
HeyBub

Perhaps you could elaborate on your thoughts about Hey Bub's concept, its potential flaws & failure modes.

I'll agree that spec'ing the wire size at "a bit heavier than coat- hanger wire" is vague. Needs to be more like 1/8" or 3/16 but that's still not very heavy & easily formed by hand.

But I'd more more worried about:

1) QuickShelf's suggestion of those wimpy & short 5/16" screw eyes. 2) Overloading the floor (or ceiling) joists or trusses.

However the concept of making a wire forming "shop aid" out of a couple metal studs (maybe lags) in a 2x12 seems like a pretty good quick & dirty way to form these things.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

I wasted my time building garage shelf units with 2" x 3" studs and cutting up old Luan doors, which I had replaced with raised panel doors, for the shelves (I still have two 30" luan doors leaning against a wall waiting for more shelf construction).

Reply to
willshak

Is this a trick question? Unlike you I don't provide intentionally misleading, inaccurate or dangerous information.

Reply to
George

And easily unformed since the wires are in tension from what could be a significant load. Two or three 3 2x10s and a bunch of household stuff such as depicted weigh just a tad more than say a 2 oz mobile hanging in front of the kitchen window.

The company who makes the "quickshelf" system chose heavier gauge material and *spring steel* for obvious reasons.

Reply to
George

Exactly, thats why they used substantial material and then heat treat and temper it so it can't "unroll".

Reply to
George

If I was the OP & decided to make my own. I'd go for 1/4" and stop at harborfreight on my way to the iron store-

I don't remember what 'one job' I bought mine for, but I've been looking for an excuse to dust it off for a few years.

Me too. I'd go for U hangars and through bolts- and not go far from the wall to hang from the joists.

And by that time-- I'd probably just use 2x4 uprights and crosspieces. But those metal things look cool.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I don't think Heybub is trying to hurt anyone.

If I wanted free hanging shelves like this I might use some lengths of chain attached with bolts.

I once made hanging shelves but I didn't want them moving around so I used 2x4s.

Reply to
despen

I'd bet any amount those components were not heat treated.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

There you go. Me too. But good chain is expensive.

They look good enough for some special purpose when the floor isn't available, but when you compare hanging weight on a joist to putting the weight on the floor, or on studs transferring the weight to a floor, they seem a bad idea. Maybe that's why it's hard to find them. About 7 years ago I added 2 22' joists to my garage because they skimped when it was built 50 years ago. Still averages about 3' apart. Put 5/8" plywood on about half of it to store stuff. Had 6 tire/wheels stacked 2 high up there spanning 2 joists about 6-8' out from the wall. After about 3 years I noticed the joists sagging a bit under the tires. Took the tires down and put them on the floor. Some joists aren't meant to take a lot of weight. I'm no carpenter, but I can spot sagging joists. Wait....maybe it was a neighbor who noticed the sagging.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

There isn't anything exotic or expensive about heat treating and it gives a good result using lighter gauge spring steel. They do include this in the description:

"Made from hardened galvanized spring steel rod,"

Of course it might be fun for the whole family (and they could save $20 too) to build hangers from cold formed wire as suggested by Heybub. For example the family could share priceless moments digging grandma or one of their kids out from underneath the debris when the hangers failed.

Reply to
George

I, too, was dubious of Heybub's claim. So, I wrote an e mail to the website, don't know if I will hear anything from them. Heat treating these would have a minimal cost, and immense liability protection. I'm sure if they were pieces of garbage that we might have heard of them before now, or there would be some trace of litigation on the Internet.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B