Where to get Road Stencils (huge white letters)?

Yeah, I'm not all that mean looking, especially with two young kids at my side when the bicyclist (mountain bikers) refused to turn back.

Reply to
Henry Jones

Mountain bikers. Bicycles. Very dusty bicycles since the trail is 5 miles from the nearest road on the one end of the private road. :)

Reply to
Henry Jones

The harm is that they *could* get a prescriptive easement. If they did, certainly the government would make requirements to maintain the safety for them. That could cost tens of thousands of dollars depending on what the improvements mandated by the government would be.

So, the biggest harm is that another easement would be in place, which lowers the value of the land tremendously and which increases the costs.

Why do you think a potential cost of many tens of thousands isn't harm?

BTW, there is also the potential harm from personal injury lawsuits, and if you don't think legal fees are harmful to the property owner, then you've never dealt with a lawyer. (They always win, even if you lose.)

In addition, do you want your kids playing outside acres within their own property where trespassers can ride right by them as they're learning how to skate a thousand feet inside their property line?

The bikers are a relatively clean lot when it comes to littering, but I have found co2 cartridges scattered about, where I think people repaired flats (what else would a brand new punctured co2 cartridge be used for?).

In addition, I had a guy yell to me that I could take my private road and shove it up my you know what, right in front of my kids. Who wants to deal with people like that when you don't have to?

The harm is everywhere you look.

Reply to
Henry Jones

That's not our local rural post office for sure.

Reply to
Henry Jones

I agree with you that trespassing needs to be stopped even if it existed prior.

You don't want trespassers if for no other reason that just liability (what if someone falls and breaks their leg for example).

Also we all have kids. Why would we want unknown trespassers on our lands at any point in time?

Reply to
Henry Jones

That's a crazy question. Let's say I bought a house with a leak in the pool or the fence in the wrong spot.

Am I never supposed to fix that leak or move that fence just because the house came with the leak and fence?

Huh? Where are you going with that.

All the signs are on my property, and they have been there since the beginning of time (from my perspective).

The entire property is mine, so, I can change any sign I want that isn't in the county ROW. But that's not the point because I am expressly asking the county of they'll put up the required signage for us (I'll let you know if they agree).

Reply to
Henry Jones

Not in my town, at least not the "use their own car, wear no uniform" part.

I can't speak to their employment status (part vs. full) but they sure dress like USPS employees and they get to drive those red, white & blue right-hand drive trucks.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

How do you know what order I read the posts in, if I red that post at all?

What are you, my SAT tutor? (not that I studied for them)

Henry can answer the question for himself, and he did.

Reply to
Micky

Where do you live? I'll fix that right up.

Reply to
rbowman

Why would you read posts in any order other than the order they were posted? Had you followed that standard, you wouldn't of had to waste your time asking a question that had already been (essentially) answered, nor wasted Henry's time by having him answer it (again). Henry's busy knocking people off of their bikes; he doesn't have time to answer questions for people who don't bother to read posts in a normal manner.

How'd that 600 work out for you?

That's because Henry's a nice guy...nice enough not to have said "If you had read my earlier posts, you'd already know the answer to your question.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yes, really. What do you think I said it for.

It wasn't a truck, it was a white or cream colored car. It might have said amzn** on it, on a magnetic sign, or maybe nothing.

**But I might have only seen amzn in the tracking. when Amazon delivers, the tracking says amzn.

And I talked to the driver and he said he worked for Amazon. Satisfied now?

How this goes with what the mailman told me, I'm not sure. Maybe two separate situations.

Reply to
Micky

No, not really. However, if you tell me that you live in one of these areas, I might be:

Los Angeles San Diego San Francisco San Jose Oakland Seattle Chicago Dallas Austin Phoenix Philadelphia New York metro area

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That's easy to avoid without closing the whole road off.

You can do what the owners of skyscrapers do with the plazas around their buildings, plazas that are used by anyone walking by most of the year, which are used as short cuts for people who don't want to walk all the way to the corner to turn the corner.

You post "private road; travel at your own risk" You pick one day a year (though that is more than is needed. Once every N years, depending on the state is sufficient) to close off the road. You take pictures of it, complete with something to show what date it is. That will work better than the gate which will be shut as planned for six months and then open all the time when no one is wiling to tend it.

I understand that the road is well paved. If they fall off their bike and hurt themselves, it's unrelated to any negligence of yours. And is anyone going to fall off his bike under those circumstances? I've falled twice in 20 years and each time it was a big chuckhole filled with water, not a well paved street.

Do you own the road or not? If you do, they are covered by your homeowners insurance, just like the sidewalk from the driveway to your front door is.

If not, then we can drop this whole talk.

Oh, please. The road doesn't require any improvements and you know it, and if it did need repaving, you and your neighbors would see to it anyhow, for reasons unrelated to these bicyclists.

I think it's mythical.

That's the way the vast majority of the US and every country lives. Your property is over 1000 feet in one direction? You've let money go to your head.

That's bad, but by your own words that was after you told them they couldn't use the road, after it being used that way, and he was angry. And by the way, "up your ass " is on the very mild end of foul language. When you first said foul, I thought you meant much worse.

So you'd exclude everyone because of that one guy?

Reply to
Micky

Because we're part of a society.

Are you the adherent of a religion? Maybe your clergyman can answer why it would be good to let the bicyclists ride their bicycles.

Reply to
Micky

And note that the previous owners and all the other current owners allowed this. Maybe they know good reasons but they're afraid to anger you by telling you.

Reply to
Micky

I got 1540 out of 1600.

Reply to
Micky

And you're lucky you don't have ATVs. Be happy with that.

Reply to
Micky

That's the real question, isn't it. If there are other people living on the road, my guess would be no.

Reply to
rbowman

You mean like an easement already in place on the road that Henry is ignoring?

Reply to
rbowman

The PDF explains that there are two situations: a) When you are absent (notice is needed every 30 days) b) When you are present (notice is needed every six months)

The police told me that "I" shouldn't block people. I should tell them to get off the property. And if they don't get off, then I should call them.

The problem, from a practical standpoint, is that the police will never get here in time unless the trespassers stick around.

I'm not really worried about the people who will flaunt the law no matter what, simply because I can trap them at will with a little bit of planning.

What I'm mostly working on is signage which will keep most people away.

We can trap the transgressors easily enough since I can show the police plenty of places to hide and I can install trip cameras.

My only problem is lack of cash - so if you know of cheap trail cameras, I'd be interested.

  1. People have stolen my tools (I don't know *who* did though)
  2. People make noise and tell me to shove my road up my derriere which ruins my quality of life
  3. People litter and can get hurt and can sue me
  4. An implied easement lowers the value of the land and increases the cost
  5. I'm already restricted in what I can do (see mailbox issues) with my own land - the last thing I need are more restrictions on my own use of the land (such as putting up a gate). etc.
Reply to
Henry Jones