Where to get Road Stencils (huge white letters)?

Page 3 of 9
On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 21:17:32 -0600, rbowman wrote:

This is all Fransciscian sediments. No granite whatsoever. No rocks. Just hard clay. Digging 3 feet "should" be possible, but backbreaking.
I'm gonna see if I can rent or borrow a hole digger.
On 07/30/2016 09:51 AM, Henry Jones wrote:

A power auger mounted on a tractor helps a lot. Even that isn't foolproof as we found out when trying to plant trees at the local rifle range. I don't think the kind that are sort of mini pile drivers have enough stroke. They're great for driving metal fence posts but the posts are only 6 to 8 feet or so. Beats the hell out of
https://www.amazon.com/901147A-Steel-Fence-Driver-Handles/dp/B000A1AB7G
although long term use of one of those will give you pecs and triceps like Schwarzenegger.
Be happy you're dealing with bicyclists. When I was with the FS I went out checking gates before hunting season. A lot of the gates are locked then to level the hunting field. Someone took exception to one of them. It was a standard Powder River gate. The posts were 3" steel pipe set in buried 55 gallon drums filled with concrete. I don't think a Warn winch could have done the job. They must have used a log chain and got a running start. The gate was bent into a V shape and the drums were half out of the ground. They didn't get through though.
Must have been kids with too much beer. Real men would have thrown the portable oxy rig in the pickup for those little annoyances.
Then there's the signs... They make great 100 yard targets for sighting in...
On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 20:04:41 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03 wrote:

Moving the mailboxes would be a *final* resort, because it would only be done if there was a locked gate, which is also a final resort.
So, it's on the table, but technically, it's trivial to move the mailboxes and have a gate built - so that was never the question.
I think the question is answered though, which is that the road signs and road stencils will work nicely to provide the notice that the police suggested.
So I think the solution is at hand.
I was thinking 10 foot posts, but they cost twice as much as the signs.
Even this 8-foot u-shaped post is over forty bucks each! http://www.homedepot.com/p/Brady-8-ft-Steel-U-Channel-Sign-Post-97204/100676656
On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 19:59:13 -0600, rbowman wrote:

The neighbors like their mailboxes being a half mile closer to their house than if they were at the junction with the public street.
If life were as simple as just telling them to screw their mailboxes, life would be easy indeed.
I have no need, nor desire, to make them move their mailboxes. It's not the goal.
The goal is to prevent trespassing. That has nothing to do with mailboxes.
On 07/28/2016 11:55 AM, Henry Jones wrote:

I don't know the back and forth with some of the cluster boxes around here. I live pretty much at the end of pavement although the road goes on for about 20 adventure filled miles before it comes back out on a maintained road. It's not private it's just rough. There's a cluster box a little past where it turns to dirt. I don't know if the residents thought it was a good idea or if the USPS said 'You want mail? This is as far as we're going." It's a contractor that does the deliveries.
It works for me. I drive by the cluster going in and out almost every day so there's no inconvenience and it's not like I'm sitting on the porch waiting for the next batch of bills and political flyers to arrive.
I can understand the resistance though. 'It's my mailbox, it's always been there' and by God it's going to stay there.'
On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 22:24:18 -0600, rbowman wrote:

Yup. I don't have any goal of antagonizing the residents who have the easement on my property.
The goal is to keep out the trespassers.
So the mailboxes will stay put unless the post office doesn't want to travel past a no-trespassing private road no public access sign.
I am almost afraid to ask them their rules.
On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 05:27:28 -0500, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Exactly!
Better to pay for signs now, than to be sued later.
They can still sue for anything, but if I've been having them arrested, they have less of a case (but it all depends on how a judge thinks).
On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 03:51:48 -0700, Taxed and Spent wrote:

I agree with you that trespassing needs to be stopped even if it existed prior.
You don't want trespassers if for no other reason that just liability (what if someone falls and breaks their leg for example).
Also we all have kids. Why would we want unknown trespassers on our lands at any point in time?
On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 17:07:23 -0000 (UTC), Henry Jones

Because we're part of a society.
Are you the adherent of a religion? Maybe your clergyman can answer why it would be good to let the bicyclists ride their bicycles.
On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 00:03:01 -0400, Micky wrote:

Up until now you were pretty much logical. But now you're not.
If the public wants to use my land, they can *pay* me for the costs incurred.
I'm not asking for that, but they're not offering to pay either. So it makes no sense for me to have my tools stolen when they're sitting on my yard, and to have my kids accosted by foul-mouthed strangers, and to have my peace and quiet disturbed, and my costs for maintenance and my risk for liability and my inability to close a road, etc., if they're not willing to pay for their fair share.
Nobody is offering - and I'm not asking - but anyone who wants to use my land should compensate me for the loss and that compensation is so high that any one individual isn't willing to shoulder that cost.
Are you?
On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 04:58:31 -0000 (UTC), Henry Jones

You don't consider the goal of behaving with love for your neighbor** to be logical? Wow.
**Neigbhor in the Bible doesn't refer to the people who own the lot next door. It refers to people in general. If you don't claim to have a religion and you don't find the Bible holy, than I woudln't be on this topic, but I first asked if you adhered to a religion and you didn't answer, so I'm talking as you affiliate with one that holds the Bible holy.

There have been no costs incurred.

Have any of your tools been stolen? Were your kids exposed to bad language at any other tmie than the while you were arguing with the bicyclists? I think you shoudl do what the police said to do.

You haven't lost anything yet, and you won't.

You don't have anything I want and I don't even like you.
On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 02:16:45 -0400, Micky wrote:

What on earth are you talking about?

I'm too logical not to be an atheist.
Religion started as a science, and it fails at being a science. However, very clever people learned how to subvert that science to the point that it because a lucrative set of political controls.
I know too much about both science and recorded history to be controlled by religious zealots.

Man invented god simply because, at first, man needed to explain why lightning killed people. Then man invented a variety of spirit gods to explain why trees fall down on people. Finally, a cunningly enterprising man invented a political god who acted just like a king (fancy that) with all the evils and mean spirited thoughts that people have.
And that is the man-invented political god we have today, in some form or the other, who is used as a tool to control people just as a homeowner association is another government upon a homeowner.

Are you willing to pay for the signs? They'll cost something like $100 to $150 each, installed. There will be about 10 of them overall on my property.
You can send me the check any time.

Of course. I don't know *who* stole my tools, but they were stolen when they were left near the road. I doubt my neighbors stole them, but I don't know who stole them.

My kids have run up to me telling me there are strange people on our property, and I go down and tell them to leave immediately.

I am.

Again, you can send me the check for the signs I'm putting up, each one will cost around $100 to $150 installed.
On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 17:07:23 -0000 (UTC), Henry Jones

And note that the previous owners and all the other current owners allowed this. Maybe they know good reasons but they're afraid to anger you by telling you.
On 07/25/2016 10:04 PM, Micky wrote:

You mean like an easement already in place on the road that Henry is ignoring?
On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 22:33:24 -0600, rbowman wrote:

I'll stop responding if you continue down this disrespectful tack.
You can write what you want on Usenet; but you should also be a tiny bit logical when you write stuff.
Did you see the picture of the roadblock?
http://i.cubeupload.com/9GFo0Q.jpg
That was up for two entire days, from 7am to 5pm, and the police were called by an irate biker and they showed up and explained that I need better signs.
Do you think they would have let me block a public road? Do you think whomever you are intimating has an easement would let me block them from passing?
While I do understand that this is the wild west of Usenet, you have to be somewhat logical in your accusations.
My title company knows of no easements other than the other property owners. That's all I can tell you. There is nothing being ignored.
On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 05:07:12 -0000 (UTC), Henry Jones

What was disrespectful. You snipped what he was replying to, so it's harder to tell what he meant, but I went back and looked and he's referring to what the other homeowners on your road might not be telling you.
He ends his sentence in a question mark, so he's plainly suggesting a hypothesis. What is disrpectful about that? That he suggests you would ignore it? Well maybe they haven't told you about it, or for all he knows, they told you once and you dont' believe them, but I dont' see how either is disrspectful. Things like that happen.

And it was logical too.

Sure. If no one was complaining, or in this case, no one but people who had already passed through.
"The police are not there to cause disorder; they are there to preserve disorder." ;-)

You mean "whoever". He was clearly suggesting the bicyclists had an easement, and they did not "let you block them". They rode through despite your objection and then called the police.

That applies equally to you.

They are referring to easements that have been registered with the county clerk's office, not those that havent' been adjudicated yet.

On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 02:25:49 -0400, Micky wrote:

If you're talking about unknown unwritten unrecorded easements, that *can* happen, but none could apply to *my* property unless the previous property owner of my property gave that unwritten unrecorded easement.
All I can tell you is that I don't know of any unknown unrecorded unwritten easements on "my" property that the title company can find.
Nobody else can sell an easement on my property; so it doesn't matter what easements the neighbors have.

Thank you for clarifying that it was "who he is" not "whom he is".

The title company is privy to recorded easements. There are no recorded easements for the general public. The recorded easements are for the few homeowners served by the road.
I am unaware of any unwritten or unrecorded easement for the general public to use the road for any purpose.

You are correct. If there is any easement, recorded or unrecorded, written or verbal, for the general public, neither my title company nor I are privy to them.
On 07/25/2016 11:07 PM, Henry Jones wrote:

That would break my heart. I would have loved to have heard the complete conversation with the bicyclists. What did you say to them before they told you to shove your cones up your ass sideways?

Yeah. That impresses me as much as the people who put chairs out on a public street to mark 'their' parking space.

That was the same cops that said it wasn't marked as a private road on their map?

The bicyclists? Yeah, you stopped them right in their tracks.

Accusations?

Have you contacted the county?
On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 07:37:35 -0600, rbowman wrote:

I agree that the roadblock was symbolic. It wouldn't stop a determined terrorist for instance.
But what else would you suggest to get the word out?

Yes. So that's a bit disconcerting. Why would their map be wrong? I don't know the answer to that question.
If they want it to be a public road, then the county is gonna have to put a few hundred thousand dollars into it. So that might be a good thing. But it's not gonna happen.

It's hard to talk to "the county" since all you get is a person in a department, but the Road Dept. said they don't maintain the road.
On 07/26/2016 03:32 PM, Henry Jones wrote:

That's par for the course in this county. Some are Forest Service, some are old logging roads that are indifferently maintained. The land ownership goes back to when the Federal government was giving land to the railroads in a checkerboard pattern. Most of the railroad lands passed to the lumber companies who built roads. The companies like Plum Creek have went into the real estate business and are subdividing some of the sections. This leaves the road ownership a touchy subject since there were a lot of easements to provide public access to the state or federal sections on the checkerboard.
Even the FS gets into the game. Some landowners have refused the Forest Service access to FS lands. Maybe legal, maybe not but the FS takes the unofficial position of "when the forest behind your house burns, call somebody who cares.'
As I mentioned. the Republican gubernatorial candidate tried to block fishing access and lost. Being a billionaire doesn't impress people in this state. Now he has the chutzpah to run political ads inviting people to go fishing at the site. It ain't his to invite.