Where to get Road Stencils (huge white letters)?

Page 2 of 9
On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 18:47:21 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yup. Thanks for everyone's help finding good suppliers. The local signmakers want over $100 per sign! So I have to go online for sure.

I agree that I was doing things backward. Instead of buying barriers, I should have invested in signs!
Once the signs are up for six months or so, the barriers make more sense to get the word out to the ones who are ignoring the signs.

Thanks for that idea of signing the MIDDLE of the road!
I'm always worried about trucks such as moving trucks because I can't block utility access to the residents.
So, with that in mind, I realized from what you said that we could put a pipe in the road, where the sign can be temporarily removed though!

I have the police in mind for sure since they are the ones who most clearly said they'd have a hard time arresting people if we don't put up the proper signs.
It turns out the police maps were wrong. The police maps were wrong because the county geographic information services maps were wrong. The GIS maps were wrong because they incorrectly interpreted the assessor's maps. The assessor's maps were correct because they correctly interpreted the deed.
So, I worked my way painstakingly to the source!
Don't even ask me how difficult it is to get Google to change their maps!
On 07/25/2016 10:58 PM, Henry Jones wrote:

You actually own the road? Your neighbors have an easement so they can use your road or else their property is landlocked? You built and maintain the road?

Police offend very easily. They're particularly offend by having to do extra paperwork for some homeowner's dispute with the public.
On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 07:46:49 -0600, rbowman wrote:

The road was built long ago. I own the land the road is on.
Some of the neighbors' properties butt up against mine. The road branches to each of their properties as their property lines split the road longitudinally (whereas mine split the road perpendicularly).
They have an easement to use my portion of the road for 3 purposes only: a. They have the right (and obligation) to maintain the road b. They have the right of transit for themselves & their guests c. They have the right of transit for their utilities & deliveries
That's it. There is no other use for the road.

Actually, it was the other way around. The public had a dispute with the homeowner. And, they declined to write up the report (they told me). Dunno what that means in a legal sense.
On 7/25/16 6:33 AM, Micky wrote:

Implied consent? Attractive nuisance? I wouldn't want to get sued even if only just because of the inconvenience. There are better ways to spend time than talking to attorneys or sitting in court.
If it's really your road with no easements and not owned by a HOA, can you put up a gate?
On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 13:47:29 -0700, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

Of course we can put up a gate.
I can unilaterally put up a gate at each border with my property, but that wouldn't be responsible without the consent of the other residents.
The other residents are fine with a gate. The main problem is the post office doesn't do gates.
That's really the main issue.
NOTE: Someone suggested putting only one mailbox outside the gate where opening *that* mailbox opens the gate! :)
On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 1:16:29 PM UTC-4, Henry Jones wrote:

I said it before, and I'll say it again.
Perhaps the "main issue" is that some residents don't want to move their mailboxes.
Which do you think it would be easier to to do? Change USPS policy or change the minds of those residents?
On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 12:54:04 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03 wrote:

I saw that but antagonizing the people down the road from me isn't my goal. So, the goal is to put up signs first. Only if the signs aren't enough, we'll gate it. But if we gate it, we have to figure out how to let the post office through. But that's the *last* thing we'll do.
The first thing is it simply put up the signs. Apparently the fence posts costs as much as the signs do: http://www.lowes.com/pd/Freedom-Pre-Assembled-White-Vinyl-Fence-Blank-Post-Common-5-in-x-5-in-x-8-ft-Actual-5-in-x-5-in-x-8-ft/4009495
At Lowes, the 8 foot fench post is $25 + about 10% tax for around $27 or $28 each!
If I sink the 8 foot fence post in 3 feet, that only leaves 5 feet sticking out, which seems kind of short, don't you think?
On 07/27/2016 11:16 AM, Henry Jones wrote:

Like I said, look at cluster boxes. The USPS is fine with them. That's what you see around here at the entrance to private roads where there's more than one family living on the road. I get my mail from a cluster and even the big Amazon parcels fit into one of the large lockers. The mailman just leaves the key to the locker in your box if the parcel doesn't fit.
On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 9:57:39 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:

He can look at cluster boxes all day long, but apparently it ain't up to him. He's said numerous times that "some" of the residents don't want to move their mailboxes from the current location - right by their houses.
It seems to me (and I think to you) that "remote" mailboxes and a gate is the best solution. Everything else is just poking and hoping.
On 07/27/2016 09:04 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm thinking 'some' of the residents aren't all that interested in his crusade and a gate won't fly. The local range has a actuated gate with a card reader. I'd guess it works about 50% of the time. When it doesn't you have to back up, get out, remember the combination to unlock the manual gate, open it, drive through, get out, close and lock the gate. That all makes waving to a few bicyclists as they go by look good.
On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 21:49:16 -0600, rbowman wrote:

Everyone wants a gate but nobody wants to move their mailboxes, and, one doesn't want to incur the cost of the gate at this time. So the gate is and was always the final (i.e., last) resort.
The *first* resort is to put up signs. I'm thinking 10 foot 2 inch pole, sunk in concrete.
Does that guess sound about right? I've never put in a sign post before in my entire life.
Looking up prices at Home Depot, the pole at $50 costs twice the sign! http://www.homedepot.com/p/2-in-x-10-ft-Galvanized-Steel-Pipe-568-1200HC/100565809
On 7/28/16 12:55 PM, Henry Jones wrote:

sure on the weight. They're clumsy and are all one guy can lift into place. The posts last for years. They're probably bigger than the signs you're thinking about and would have about the same stress from wind and so on. We dump bags of premix concrete into the holes and just tamp it in using a ground rod. What about SuperStrut or its equivalent? Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/b/Superstrut/N-5yc1vZ44i Fastenal also carries it. They're usually pretty proud of their stuff though.
On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 05:24:25 -0500, Dean Hoffman wrote:

I like the idea of wood posts because it seems like it would look more rustic, while still being "professional" enough to be taken seriously and being hard enough to just remove (since I suspect our foul-mouthed bikers wouldn't mind stooping that low).

It does get windy out here. Very windy. We're on the top of a mountain. So, I hadn't thought of that until now.

I haven't every poured concrete yet, so I appreciate that hint. I presume I dig a 3 foot hole about a foot wide (or whatever) and then fill it with water and then dump the concrete and hold the pole until it sets?

They look much better! They're only $20 for ten feet for the superstrut 12 gauge
I'm not sure if the 14-gauge $17 strut will be strong enough. I never used a "gauge" when dealing with posts (I never dealt with posts before).
Googling, I find this chart: https://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/scales/sheetmetal.html
14 gauge is 0.0747 inches thick for steel 12 gauge is 0.1046 inches thick for steel
That doesn't really tell me what gauge I need for a sign post though...
On 7/29/16 11:08 AM, Henry Jones wrote:

No water. Just dump it in dry a bit at a time and tamp it. No need to let it set. We set the panels immediately. Mother Nature will take care of the rest. She gets impatient sometimes and sets the concrete in the bags if it isn't kept in a really dry place for storage. There are also some post setting foams. Sika is one brand. Fast2K is another. I've never used any so that's all I know about them.

Not much help there.
On 07/29/2016 10:08 AM, Henry Jones wrote:

Can you dig a 3 foot hole? The FS likes 8 foot wooden posts to have 3 feet in the ground. The joke around here is you dig as deep as you can without the use of explosives and saw enough off so 5 feet of the post is exposed. Not that I've ever done anything like that...
call it a hunch, the other property owners dont really care about the tresspasers..........
because there are some alternatives.
like a fence, guard rail etc at the park end that would likely discourage people driving down from the OPs end.........
why drive down a dead end more than once?
a sign at the OPs end, the other end of this private drive has been permanetely blocked at the park end
mygrandma used to get mad if anyone walked across our yard. she would talk to them about it...
i always believed more people would do it just becuse it bothered her..........
On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 06:27:28 -0700 (PDT), bob haller wrote:

The park rangers took me for a drive yesterday to the end of their property, and there is clearly a locked gate.
So we're in agreement that people were never allowed. What we need to do is sign it better.

It's blocked at both ends of the trail. We can't easily block the road (as per aforementioned post office boxes & thousands of dollars of expense for the gate).
On Saturday, July 30, 2016 at 9:27:31 AM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:

Perhaps because the view at the end is spectacular? Perhaps because the view along the way is spectacular?
We've got lots of dead ends in my area. Some dead end at one of our Great Lakes. Some border beautiful parks where you can see sit and watch the wildlife play.
Granted, these aren't private (well, not all of them) but to answer your general question:
There are many reasons to drive down a dead end more than once.
DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

I like them to take a leak. Not in a populated area...
--
Tekkie