Where to get Road Stencils (huge white letters)?

Page 1 of 9
I blocked the road with cones and turned back all members of the public yesterday, but it was extremely boring, so I can't wait for the signs to come in. That's for the advice.
Most people said they didn't know it was a private drive, even though there was one sign saying so at the entrance.
The drive is 18 feet wide so I can make large letters.
I'm thinking of putting down a big "stencil" on the road of something like: "PRIVATE DRIVE | NO PULIC ACCESS"
Where do you think those stencils would be found?
On 7/24/2016 10:35 AM, Henry Jones wrote:

These should get you started.
http://www.bestsignstore.com/stencils.html
http://www.municipalsigns.com/stencils.html
https://www.grainger.com/category/stencils-and-stencil-sets/identification-products/safety/ecatalog/N-b2u
https://pavementstencil.com/
http://www.stencilease.com/industrialstencils.htm
On 7/24/16 9:35 AM, Henry Jones wrote:

flashing light to put by your sign. It might get folks out of the auto pilot mode some enter while driving. Do you have an address sign for your place? Maybe something to draw attention to that would be worthwhile.
On 7/24/16 10:09 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Another suggestion would be an SMV sign used for farm machinery. The metal ones are fairly solid.
On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 10:09:53 -0500, Dean Hoffman wrote:

I don't understand your question about having an "address sign" for the place. The drive serves a handful of homes only but there are trails at the end that a lot of bikers and hikers use that skirt out back behind people's property (all in private land). Eventually it connects to a public park, so most of the traffic is people coming from the public park in the opposite direction of cars which would be going down the road just to 'explore' it (since it's a dead end of only about 1/2 mile long).
There "is" a standard-looking street sign, put up by the county, at the junction with the public road and a 30x30 amber rectangle (mounted with the points up and down and to the side) saying "No Through Traffic".
I was thinking of replacing the No Through Traffic sign with a "No Public Access" sign, but the back of the sign has a sticker saying it's a county sign and that it's a criminal offense to remove the sign.
On 7/24/16 12:18 PM, Henry Jones wrote:

I was picturing a single driveway leading to a single residence. Farms and rural residences have addresses similar to what town people have. It was set up that way for emergency responders. Responders using directions from a town could miscount miles, miss turns, or whatever else might happen to delay them.

On 7/24/2016 10:18 AM, Henry Jones wrote:

You have trespassers using trails on private property which connect to county trails? You have a big problem that a mere sign is not going to solve.
On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 11:20:52 -0700, Taxed and Spent wrote:

Today, a set of foul-mouthed bikers came up from the county park (it's the only place they could have come from) about 5 miles away. The county park has a sign saying that it's an unmaintained trail and that no bikes or vehicles are allowed, but that's it.
Then, about 3 miles out from that sign, there are at least five to eight (or so) private owners, none of which are signed, and then the trail comes to my paved road, which isn't signed at that end.
When they got to my little roadblock they refused to turn back:
http://i.cubeupload.com/9GFo0Q.jpg
They told me I could take my private road and shove it up one of my anatomical parts. Right in front of my kids, they used foul language, and I tried to videotape them but my camera was dead so I just faked that I videotaped them.
They went right past me, and then they called the cops who showed up. The cops said they used foul language with them and that they said I knocked them off their bikes (I never touched them) but they couldn't show the cops any injuries and the cops didn't believe them.
Anyway, the cops said the road doesn't show up as private on their maps (so I need to fix that somehow) and that section 602L of some California code says that the no trespassing signs must be at least three to a mile and at the entrance and exit to trails and roads.
EDIT: Found this: http://codes.findlaw.com/ca/penal-code/pen-sect-602.html http://www.mysecuritysign.com/california-no-trespassing-signs http://www.shouselaw.com/trespass.html
The cops said that they'd have a hard time arresting someone for trespassing because it looks like a county road as it's about 25 feet wide at the widest and about 18 feet wide at the thinnest and it's well paved (although not as well as the county roads are).
So, they suggested two things: a. Don't get in the way of the bikers - just let them pass and call them if they refuse to get off the land. b. Put signs up at least to the 602 code for no trespassing signs saying that only written permission will allow anyone on the land.
I was surprised at the written-permission rule, as even the lawyer I talked to didn't mention that.
On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 17:18:34 +0000 (UTC), Henry Jones

You knew all this stuff existed when you bought *your* house, right? Is it right to interfere with them now, when they've been using this for such a harmless purpose?

Even if it didnt' have that sticker, you knew it wasn't YOUR sign, and yet you were thinking of removing it to put in your own. Are you so different from those who drive down your road when they shouldn't?
On 7/25/2016 3:47 AM, Micky wrote:

I don't view trespassing as harmless.
Are you saying that once an unlawful activity starts, it should never end?
On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 03:51:48 -0700, Taxed and Spent

What is the harm here?

Where would you get that idea? I only referred to harmless activities.
On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 07:33:54 -0400, Micky wrote:

The harm is that they *could* get a prescriptive easement. If they did, certainly the government would make requirements to maintain the safety for them. That could cost tens of thousands of dollars depending on what the improvements mandated by the government would be.
So, the biggest harm is that another easement would be in place, which lowers the value of the land tremendously and which increases the costs.
Why do you think a potential cost of many tens of thousands isn't harm?
BTW, there is also the potential harm from personal injury lawsuits, and if you don't think legal fees are harmful to the property owner, then you've never dealt with a lawyer. (They always win, even if you lose.)
In addition, do you want your kids playing outside acres within their own property where trespassers can ride right by them as they're learning how to skate a thousand feet inside their property line?
The bikers are a relatively clean lot when it comes to littering, but I have found co2 cartridges scattered about, where I think people repaired flats (what else would a brand new punctured co2 cartridge be used for?).
In addition, I had a guy yell to me that I could take my private road and shove it up my you know what, right in front of my kids. Who wants to deal with people like that when you don't have to?
The harm is everywhere you look.
On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 17:07:17 -0000 (UTC), Henry Jones

That's easy to avoid without closing the whole road off.
You can do what the owners of skyscrapers do with the plazas around their buildings, plazas that are used by anyone walking by most of the year, which are used as short cuts for people who don't want to walk all the way to the corner to turn the corner.
You post "private road; travel at your own risk" You pick one day a year (though that is more than is needed. Once every N years, depending on the state is sufficient) to close off the road. You take pictures of it, complete with something to show what date it is. That will work better than the gate which will be shut as planned for six months and then open all the time when no one is wiling to tend it.

I understand that the road is well paved. If they fall off their bike and hurt themselves, it's unrelated to any negligence of yours. And is anyone going to fall off his bike under those circumstances? I've falled twice in 20 years and each time it was a big chuckhole filled with water, not a well paved street.
Do you own the road or not? If you do, they are covered by your homeowners insurance, just like the sidewalk from the driveway to your front door is.
If not, then we can drop this whole talk.

Oh, please. The road doesn't require any improvements and you know it, and if it did need repaving, you and your neighbors would see to it anyhow, for reasons unrelated to these bicyclists.

I think it's mythical.

That's the way the vast majority of the US and every country lives. Your property is over 1000 feet in one direction? You've let money go to your head.

That's bad, but by your own words that was after you told them they couldn't use the road, after it being used that way, and he was angry. And by the way, "up your ass " is on the very mild end of foul language. When you first said foul, I thought you meant much worse.

So you'd exclude everyone because of that one guy?

On 07/25/2016 10:01 PM, Micky wrote:

That's the real question, isn't it. If there are other people living on the road, my guess would be no.
On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 22:32:28 -0600, rbowman wrote:

The road exists for the other people. I own most of the road, although they own their portions too. There is no way to travel from the public road to their house without driving on my property and on their property.
So, the answer is that "I" own a substantial portion of the road in its entirety, and they own a portion also.
We're all in agreement that the sole purpose of the road is to serve the people who have the benefit (and who paid for long ago) of an easement.
On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 00:01:04 -0400, Micky wrote:

I agree with you that closing the road is too onerous. Signage is what we need.

Legally that's the wrong set of words, but the concept is correct. The correct set of words is described in this PDF: http://www.indiopd.org/pdf/Trespassing_Requirements.pdf PRIVATE PROPERTY TRESPASSING/LOITERING FORBIDDEN BY LAW VIOLATORS WILL BE PROSECUTED CALIFORNIA PENAL CODE 602

I don't know if that one-day-a-year road closure is actually needed, but it does seem like a good insurance policy to do so, which *proves* that you *can* do it.
The police were called this weekend, and they didn't stop me; which is the point that we're establishing that "we" have control of the road access.

I did take a picture and posted it already:
http://i.cubeupload.com/9GFo0Q.jpg

Yeah. Tell that to the personal injury lawyers. :)

It doesn't matter. If you let someone on your property, you're responsible. If you don't stop someone from being on your property, you're responsible. If you tried to stop them, and they still came on, you're still responsible, but you have a better case (and they have a worse case).

Thanks. Would you like to pay my premiums?

I own the road, and my insurance costs me thousands of dollars every year.

OK. Up until now you were reasonable. You have absolutely no idea how much money it would costs to improve a road that is about a half mile long.
It's more money than I own.

From your armchair seat, that's understandable. But not from mine.

The zoning out here is 40 acres to a property. Anything less than 80 acres can't be subdivided.

Oh, it was much worse. The police were even offended enough to not even write up a report when they called the police on me for blocking the road.
On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 04:58:33 -0000 (UTC), Henry Jones

I was talking within the context of the thread. But in more detail, That's easy to avoid without closing the whole road off to the bicyclists.

It's the wrong set of words for what you had wanted to accomplist.

These are the wrong set of words for what I want. Check with your minister and see which he says are better.

You're still thinking about your original goal. I'm telling you the alternative, that can satisfy your understandable desire not to create an easement but which will also allow the bicyclists to use the road.

I'm not going to go into what's wrong with your picture, because I'm not interested in furthering your goal, only my alternate suggestion.

Your home insurance will handle nuisance suits, if there are any.

Who told you that? Your lawyer? You need another one.

You're already paying them. You may not know your lot's boundaries but the insurance company does.

That's what I just said, you're already paying them.

They're not going to ask for any improvements. Nothing will have changed.

So I'm right.

So what did they say?
On Tuesday, July 26, 2016 at 2:10:07 AM UTC-4, Micky wrote:

A thread that you apparently either haven't been reading in order or in it's entirety.
"How do you know what order I read the posts in, if I red (sic) that post at all?"
Just sayin'
On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 02:09:59 -0400, Micky wrote:

Yes. What I want is the legally correct words to describe the legal situation.
I don't see my situation as being different than anyone elses' in the same state who has a private road that was not built nor maintained for public access.

?

I did briefly consider charging a fee to use the road. Legally, if you charge a fee, they can't sue successfully for access because they already have access by permission (if they pay for that access).
Do you think $5 per person per visit is about the correct amount?

Now you got me curious. What's wrong with my photo? Is the lighting bad? Or is it the angle?

Thanks for the advice. I'd prefer to have zero claims against my home insurance, thank you.

The insurance company knows that the road is private with no public access. The premiums would go up if the road had public access.

You have obviously never dealt with the government.

The one foul-mouthed guy told the police using similar foul language that he used with me that I was blocking the road and that they wanted me arrested for blocking the road.
The cops came and asked what the situation was. Then before they left, they suggested we put up better signs.
On 7/26/2016 5:32 PM, Henry Jones wrote:

Seems like you are all set now that you know what signs you need. Once in place, I'd still camp out a few days with the barrier to make the point. In addition to the required legal signs, I'd put a couple of "no trespassing residents only" signs in the middle of the road, perhaps leaving just enough room to drive by so you don't have to move them every time you go to the store.
Oh, I'd also notify the police once properly signed so they may be able to support you better if they see violations.