Where to get parts for a Nikon D5000 SLR, with DX VR: AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G lens?

Page 5 of 5

"FF" means Full Frame v DX= APS-C in reference to physical sensor size relative to 35mm film.

You really wouldn't want to use DX kit lenses on a D700.
--
Regards,

Savageduck
Arklin K. wrote:

step up from your mid-level D5000. As you seem to be using the lower end plastic mount lenses, you aren't getting any real cachet of metal mount Nikkor glass. And please don't drop som many lenses...
http://www.dpreview.com/products/pentax/slrs/pentax_k30
--
Darrell Larose
On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 13:56:31 -0700, Savageduck

This is what he needs, the H4D http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/19/hasselblad-cuts-h4d-prices /
New low price too!

I take my camera, and usually a few lenses, everywhere I go. It goes with me nearly every time I leave the house. I'm an old guy too, but in pursuit of photographs, fun, or curiosity I still climb over fences and walls, up trees and cliffs, paddle up streams, etc..
I can't afford to buy rugged gear, so I ruggedise it myself. In other words, I carry everything in individual padded bags, and all my camera gear bags are also well padded. That works very well.
I have broken one camera and a couple of lenses when in use by my own carelessness. I've learned by experience and either avoid doing those things or do them with better protection against accidents.
I can't afford rainproof gear but I like shooting in the rain. So I use camera raincoats. Beach sand is a big nuisance so I've developed handling procedures which keep it out of my camera. Condensation is scary, so I've learned how it works and how to combat it.
If you can't afford or can't get a rugged enough camera you need to ruggedise it and your methods of using it yourself. Since you're still alive you've obviously learned how to keep yourself safe and reasonably comfortable. What's the problem in taking the same attitude to your camera gear?
--
Chris Malcolm

On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 12:40:42 -0700, nospam wrote:

Interesting. Thanks for the information. I have LOTS of broken plastic Nikon & Canon & Olympus cameras & lenses I could potentially sell on Ebay then.
Barely used. Like new. Only broken once. :)

On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 15:45:38 -0400, tony cooper wrote:

I agree. A Nikon D5000 or Nikon D50 or Nikon D60 or Nikon CP5000 (all of which I bought from Costco) would break the same as that camera from anywhere else.
My mistake for not being clear.
The cameras that Costco sells (for about $1,000 or so) are all plastic. And the plastic is (apparently) the problem for someone like me who simply takes a camera with him wherever he goes.
To be clear, I did try the waterproof cameras (yes, from Costco), and quite a few of the little Olympus cameras, but the quality from those P&S cameras was basically atrocious.
The Powershots lasted a while but even they had a bad fixed lens, so, that's whey I moved to SLRs.
What I 'really' need is to fix what I have and then, when they're no longer fixable, to buy the least expensive 'war camera' SLR out there.
Any suggestions on the least expensive STURDY! SLR?
On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 15:53:32 -0400, tony cooper wrote:

Hi Tony,
I don't really know if a filter would have helped.
Here is a picture of the crack.

It's hard to see but it's a u-shaped crack in the relatively flat glass on front of the lens. The marking on the lens say: Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 G
Looking closely, there are also little tiny dots of what appears to be the broken bits of glass scattered about. I can take a better picture if you need more information.
I didn't 'see' the camera get dropped. The kids were taking pictures, and, when I got the camera back, it had the spar. I didn't know who did it and they didn't say. It was, of course, my fault for letting 10 year olds use my camera ... but that's a foregone conclusion.
They were playing on boulders and snapping pictures so I can only assume they dropped it (or swung it into the rocks).
That might be too much detail - but - I wonder - would a filter have prevented this crack?

probably.
On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 20:36:25 +0000 (UTC), "Arklin K."

Is there a ding anywhere on the rim?

You really don't know. Now you're not even sure if the lens was dropped. It could have been swung into something. If it was attached to the body, the camera was unlikely to drop with the lens face first. The weight of the body would cause it to rotate.
A filter in place would not have hurt, but may not have helped.
It doesn't make much difference at this point.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 20:40:54 -0400, tony cooper wrote:

Absolutely not. Only the glass is cracked. I doubt the rim contacted anything because a close inspection shows it to be pristine.

You could probably still have a usable lens if you fill the chip with black India ink. This will reduce any flare caused by the chip &/or scratches. < http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/lens_condition.html
This is somewhat simplified, but spells out the idea. < http://www.ehow.com/how_4899282_fix-scratch-camera-lens.html
Not perfect, but one way to salvage a working lens out of one you are about to write off.
--
Regards,

Savageduck
On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 18:07:57 -0700, Savageduck wrote:

Now that's an interesting idea!
Thanks.