Where to get parts for a Nikon D5000 SLR, with DX VR: AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G lens?

:)

Realistically, I 'have' told the kids to always use the Nikon camera strap when they borrow my plastic Nikon SLR ... and I do like the idea of the camera 'skin' that was proposed (although it omits protection of the all-important plastic lens).

In hindsight, looking at all my broken plastic cameras, most of my point- and-shoot cameras fail on the fragile battery doors (Nikon Coolpix varieties) and on the pop-out lens (Olympus varieties).

So, the rule there is avoid at all cost any Nikon plastic point and shoot unless/until they learn how to design a door hinge ... and basically avoid 'any' point and shoot that has a motorized pop-out lens (Olympus or otherwise).

Looking back at all the plastic SLRs, I'm astounded to realize it's mostly the lenses that broke, almost all at the fragile plastic bayonet mount, although one stopped working mysteriously just after snapping photos in the pumice of Thera, probably because of the very fine dust infusion.

One plastic camera broke from the sulfuric fumes of swimming in the waters around a just-submerged volcano (which also claimed my otherwise rugged Rolex watch, interestingly enough). Yet another failed to survive its very first cross-country ski trip down Mount Washington on my New Year's Eve vacation trip.

So, in summary, a rough visual autopsy shows that the plastic lens mounts (on all the plastic Nikons I've owned) and plastic door hinges (only on the plastic Nikon Coolpix variety I've owned) and motorized lenses are what seem to break on these plastic (essentially throwaway) cameras.

Next time, I'll buy a sturdier camera for sure, as I realized, belatedly, that it has cost me far more for the cheap plastic Nikons than if I had bought a camera actually built to handle daily use in the real world.

Reply to
Arklin K.

Why on Earth are you letting the kids have the opportunity to damage your cameras?

What exactly are you doing to damage all these battery doors? If you use a little care when opening them they will certainly last indefinitely, so there is something else going on with those experiencing these problems. My very first Nikon camera, a 3MP CP770 is still working in the hands of my "Step-daughter from Hell".

That might be a rule for you and your level of rough usage.

Why are you astounded? They are the least expensive and least rugged lenses Nikon markets. Do not expect the same level of performance and construction out of a $350-$500 Nikon lens as you would get from one of their $860-$2200 lenses.

...and now there are two Rolex watches on the casualty list.

Please list the physical injuries you have sustained as you wreaked mayhem upon the machinery around you.

How did motorized lenses get into this?

You are viewing the World of cameras through a very distorted lens.

Reply to
Savageduck

This is undeniably true. I hadn't realized the extent of my losses until I dug into my broken-camera box, which has grown in size over the years.

Again, I agree. It's the plastic bayonet mostly that is the problem with the Nikon D-series SLR cameras I've been buying from Costco (although the poorly designed battery charger was the real problem with the Nikon Coolpix 5000).

As I noted earlier, I have a Nikon D60 and a Nikon D50 in my camera box so I fully agree, the plastic Nikon (Nikkor?) lenses that came with the Costco kit are fragile. Here's a picture of both the broken D50 and D60 made with my D5000 earlier this week:

I now realize that these fragile plastic lenses are, for me, the problem.

THAT's what I need! All I need, I think, is lenses that work with my Nikon D50, D60, and D5000 that have metal bayonets!

Reply to
Arklin K.

My Myers-Briggs personality is big on "P", as in ESTP. That means, in part, that I prefer others to live and breath the way they naturally desire. I don't wish to control them. In contrast, many people are strongly "J" (as in INFJ), which means, in part, they prefer to control other people's actions around them.

Kids are kids. They play. They run. They jump. They fall. They get hurt. They cry. They get boo boos. It's part of being a kid. The whole point of me being in the boy scout program is so that I can help the kids be kids.

One rule of childhood is that the whole point of the long childhood of humans is to give the kids chances to make mistakes without getting killed or maimed. Essentially, that is the whole point of 'play'.

Animals play also - but they don't play with cameras. Kids could, should, and do 'play' with my cameras. All my kids have their own SLRs, for example, and I give SLRs as gifts to my sister's kids.

Kids need to play with cameras so that they learn.

I 'try' to keep the cameras from being broken (hence the rule that a strap must always be worn when snapping pictures in a canoe, for example).

But, fundamentally, I let the kids use my SLR so that they will learn how to take better pictures.

Reply to
Arklin K.

While dpreview has discussed the Nikon engineering flaw in detail:

The door itself isn't generally the problem. The problem is the spring loaded pressure forces itself against a teeny tiny tab on the camera body

- which is destined to break.

This is a beautiful paper-clip fix to Nikon's engineering flaw:
Here's another user's fix for Nikon's poor engineering:
Googling for "coolpix battery door fix", I find, for example:

QUOTE: All the Nikon Coolpix camera bodies break at the battery latch door. Nikon REFUSES to honor their own promise of "excellence" (ha!) so you'll have to fix the camera body yourself. URL:

And this: QUOTE: "This tiny piece of plastic molded with the body of the camera was bound to break the way it's built." URL:
And this: QUOTE:Does anyone know why Nikon doesn't make good on the infamous Coolpix battery door engineering flaw? URL:
Here's another: QUOTE: "What happens is that the battery door breaks, and it doesn't stay closed" URL:
And another: QUOTE: "What broke is this little tiny piece of plastic" URL:
And another: Quote: Here is a summary review of ways people fixed their Nikon Coolpix battery door latches when they invariably broke." URL:
And another: URL:
And so on.

Once you look at the tiny plastic catch engineered by Nikon, you'll see that the latch is going to break no matter what you do with that camera, baby it or not.

It's our fault for buying these cameras. Not Nikons for making cheap plastic garbage. If they can sell the Coolpix to us, then it's not their fault. It's ours.

Reply to
Arklin K.

Indeed. There are a few. :)

Including a new ACL and shoulder-repair surgery, and a broken wrist & clavicle, and even a suspected broken rib (I never had it x-rayed but it hurt for months!).

But that (medical) topic is for a different newsgroup, don't you think?

Reply to
Arklin K.

The D40, D60, and the D5000 all take AF-S lenses with the motor in the lens. Other Nikon lenses that will fit camera body will not autofocus. You can manually focus, though.

Reply to
tony cooper

Wait a minute here...my two grandsons (now 8 and 9) have been using my Nikon for a couple of years. They're accustomed to using the viewfinder (no live view on my camera) and have taken some pretty good shots. If they want the camera, they put the neck strap on when the first get it. If they run or roughhouse, they lose the privilege. Kid certainly can be taught to take care of things.

Reply to
tony cooper

that's just one person. big deal.

i *have* a coolpix 990, just like the person in that thread, and its battery door works fine and that's after the camera has fallen a few times and even has a crack in the casing. the camera still works fine.

it's also a 10 year old post about a 12 year old camera, so it's not actually relevant to anything nikon currently makes.

definitely not all.

bullshit. it doesn't break in normal use.

Reply to
nospam

That is you and your grandsons, the OP and his boy scouts sound like an invading horde leaving a trail of destruction behind them. Properly tutored regarding responsibility and care of expensive cameras (& I suspect other stuff) and you have yet to report any damage sustained. There is nothing wrong with teaching kids responsibility & respect when handling other folks property. This is what my father did when raising me with guns, cameras, tools, motorcycles, trucks, cars, and much else.

Reply to
Savageduck

Yup! When my kids were young I let them use my Nikkormat, which still works well. At first they wasted a lot of film. Then I started charging them 25 cents a roll, with developing included. The quality of their images immediately improved.

Reply to
PeterN

I'm curious.

This is great information.

But how do you know that?

That is, what specific 'feature' do I look for in a lens to know if it will work with my existing D40/D60/D5000 Nikons and how it will work in a 'future' unspecified as yet Nikon 'war camera'?

Is it the "AF-S" feature alone?

Reply to
Arklin K.

Exactly my rules now also!

Reply to
Arklin K.

it's common knowledge, and it also says that in the specs.

a 'war camera' is likely to have a focus motor in the body because it's not going to be a low end model.

af-s means the lens has an internal focus motor so it doesn't matter if there is one in the camera body.

non af-s lenses do not have an internal focus motor, which means the camera body has to have the motor. if you use a non-afs lens on a camera that lacks a focus motor, it will not autofocus. however, the autofocus system is still running and you will have focus confirmation as you manually turn the focus ring.

Reply to
nospam

you need more than a neck strap. you need a chest harness.

Reply to
nospam

:)

Reply to
Arklin K.

You are not paying attention!

Back on 7/6/2012 you pretty much asked the same question. Here is what was said back then. Note: if you are not going to read answers given sincerely to your questions, you are in effect telling us that all you are doing bitching about the results of your abusive use of your equipment. Now read the information again, and pay attention to what is being said.

I d>

You really aren't trying very hard. first RTFM! If you still don't get it read the specs, in each case scroll down to "Compatible Lenses": D50: <

D60 <

D5000 <

Each

Irrelevant.

Reply to
Savageduck

This is great information.

So, do I have it right based on what you kindly wrote?

  1. The so-called Nikon 'war camera' is likely to have a focus motor in the body while the D-series Nikons I own (D50/D60/D5000) do not have a focus motor in the body.

  1. Nikon AF-S lenses have a focus motor in the lens while non AF-S lenses have no focus motor.

  2. I can use any Nikon AF-S lens in any Nikon camera and it will automatically focus (because there is at least one focus motor).

  1. I can use any Nikon non-AF-S lens in any Nikon camera but it will not automatically focus in the D-series cameras I own (because there is no focus motor).

Reply to
Arklin K.

Research on the web is quick, easy, and free.

Yes, the "AF-S" stands for Auto Focus - Silent Wave Motor. As far as I know, all AF-S lenses will fit all three cameras. Some non-AF-S lenses will attach, but you will lose the autofocus feature. Some of the non-AF-S lenses will autofocus on bodies with the motor drive in the body. Not all camera bodies and lenses were designed for autofocus.

I will say that you need to order an AF-S lens if you intend to use it on your D40/D60/D5000 bodies if you want the camera to autofocus (And I'm sure you do, and you should).

You can Google for AF-S lenses, or for lenses compatible with any of those bodies (if compatible for one, it's compatible for all three), but I see no place in any tech sheet that tells you if the bayonet mount is plastic or metal.

Your best bet is to Google for AF-S lenses, pick out the ones you want based on price and specifications, and then go to a real camera store that sells new merchandise and look at the damn thing to see if the flange is plastic or metal. Forget Costco. They don't have the selection of lenses only on display that a real camera store has.

You may want to make the actual purchase from Adorama or B&H photo, but know what you want and need before you order.

Other brands of lenses have the AF-S feature. I have a Tamron AF-S

18/270mm zoom lens that I use. A good walk-about lens with a wide range, but not as sharp at any setting as a prime lens. ("Prime" being a non-zoom lens) Sigma makes AF-S lenses, but I haven't heard good things about Sigma lenses. Tamron makes AF-S lenses for both Nikon and Canon bodies, so you have to check to see which it is.

I'm not even going to address that "war camera" idea. It's ridiculous. No camera is impervious to damage. You don't buy a camera in order to be able to drop it or treat it carelessly. You either buy the least expensive camera/lens combo you can find and figure you will replace whatever you break, or you learn to take more care.

Reply to
tony cooper

"Common knowledge" is what everyone knows. This guy doesn't. I suspect there are hundreds of cameras that require AF-S lenses sold every year to people who like Arklin have no idea that the motor is in the lens. Ask the people in Coach.

Reply to
tony cooper