Where to get parts for a Nikon D5000 SLR, with DX VR: AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G lens?

Page 3 of 5

what does that have to do with what i said? nothing.
try to stay on topic, for once.

Just asking. You seem to think that Google can be right or wrong.
Google does not correct spelling errors. Google leads you to instances that resemble the word you typed, but it does not correct the spelling.
It's a bit like reading one of your posts. We can determine what you meant even if you did not write what you meant.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

i never said that.

it can correct spelling and there's a way to disable it for those who prefer it to be off.

except that you seem to always come up with things i did not say or mean.

You said: "the proper word is compatible. in fact, if you google "nikon comparable lenses", google will show results for "nikon compatible lenses". maybe you should go tell google they're wrong."

Q.E.D.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

google thinks your use of the word comparable is wrong (which it is), therefore it substituted the correct word when searching for that phrase.
as i said, they have a search quality team dedicated to stuff like that. go argue with them. i'm sure they'll get a big kick out you.

<<< Le Snip >>>

Actually they are wrong if they confuse "compatible" & "comparable". It seems their search engine didn't do too well at English 101. "compatible " and "comparable" have two very specific meanings and the results returned should actually have a mix of both, as some lenses would be "comparable, some compatible and some both.
For example the AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VRII and the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM are not compatible but they are certainly "comparable".
Then there is the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM (available with both Canon and Nikon mount versions) can be described as comparable and compatible with both the Nikon or Canon, depending on version. Though I will concede that a proper comparison for any of these lenses can only be made on the same brand of body.
Also a properly worded Google search reveals that Google will indeed lead you to comparisons. < http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=nikon+lenses+comparable+canon+l+lenses&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Yup! Q.E.D.
--
Regards,

Savageduck
On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 12:45:45 -0400, tony cooper wrote:

I got the point.
There are lenses that are not made by Nikon with 'will work' with the Nikon camera bodies that I have.
For my Nikon D60 and D5000, those non-Nikon lenses will need to have an internal motor in order to autofocus.
For my Nikon D50, any non-Nikon lenses don't need a motor to work with the autofocus.
Thanks!
On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 17:24:57 -0400, tony cooper wrote:

This is undeniably true. I hadn't realized the extent of my losses until I dug into my broken-camera box, which has grown in size over the years.

Again, I agree. It's the plastic bayonet mostly that is the problem with the Nikon D-series SLR cameras I've been buying from Costco (although the poorly designed battery charger was the real problem with the Nikon Coolpix 5000).

As I noted earlier, I have a Nikon D60 and a Nikon D50 in my camera box so I fully agree, the plastic Nikon (Nikkor?) lenses that came with the Costco kit are fragile. Here's a picture of both the broken D50 and D60 made with my D5000 earlier this week:

I now realize that these fragile plastic lenses are, for me, the problem.

THAT's what I need! All I need, I think, is lenses that work with my Nikon D50, D60, and D5000 that have metal bayonets!
On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 14:58:30 -0700, Savageduck wrote:

My Myers-Briggs personality is big on "P", as in ESTP. That means, in part, that I prefer others to live and breath the way they naturally desire. I don't wish to control them. In contrast, many people are strongly "J" (as in INFJ), which means, in part, they prefer to control other people's actions around them.
Kids are kids. They play. They run. They jump. They fall. They get hurt. They cry. They get boo boos. It's part of being a kid. The whole point of me being in the boy scout program is so that I can help the kids be kids.
One rule of childhood is that the whole point of the long childhood of humans is to give the kids chances to make mistakes without getting killed or maimed. Essentially, that is the whole point of 'play'.
Animals play also - but they don't play with cameras. Kids could, should, and do 'play' with my cameras. All my kids have their own SLRs, for example, and I give SLRs as gifts to my sister's kids.
Kids need to play with cameras so that they learn.
I 'try' to keep the cameras from being broken (hence the rule that a strap must always be worn when snapping pictures in a canoe, for example).
But, fundamentally, I let the kids use my SLR so that they will learn how to take better pictures.
On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 14:58:30 -0700, Savageduck wrote:

While dpreview has discussed the Nikon engineering flaw in detail: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum 07&message"67289
The door itself isn't generally the problem. The problem is the spring loaded pressure forces itself against a teeny tiny tab on the camera body - which is destined to break.
http://files.myopera.com/mcduret/blog/IMGP0065b.JPG
This is a beautiful paper-clip fix to Nikon's engineering flaw:
http://www.uthunter.com/images/Nikonfix.jpg
Here's another user's fix for Nikon's poor engineering:
http://files.myopera.com/mcduret/blog/IMGP0070b.JPG
Googling for "coolpix battery door fix", I find, for example:
QUOTE: All the Nikon Coolpix camera bodies break at the battery latch door. Nikon REFUSES to honor their own promise of "excellence" (ha!) so you'll have to fix the camera body yourself. URL: http://www.epinions.com/review/pr-Digital_Cameras-Nikon_Coolpix_3100 / content_405607583364?sb=1
And this: QUOTE: "This tiny piece of plastic molded with the body of the camera was bound to break the way it's built." URL: http://my.opera.com/mcduret/blog/2006/12/07/fixing-nikon - coolpix-3100-battery-door
And this: QUOTE:Does anyone know why Nikon doesn't make good on the infamous Coolpix battery door engineering flaw? URL: http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php ? az=show_topic&forum3&topic_idg18&mesg_idg18&page=4
Here's another: QUOTE: "What happens is that the battery door breaks, and it doesn't stay closed" URL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE82Ye6ksyY

And another: QUOTE: "What broke is this little tiny piece of plastic" URL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
bruSCluZM
And another: Quote: Here is a summary review of ways people fixed their Nikon Coolpix battery door latches when they invariably broke." URL: http://www.electronicspoint.com/summary-ways-people-fixed-their - nikon-coolpix-camera-battery-door-latch-t102999.html
And another: URL: http://www.instructables.com/id/Nikon-Coolpix-L15-battery-door-fix /
And so on.
Once you look at the tiny plastic catch engineered by Nikon, you'll see that the latch is going to break no matter what you do with that camera, baby it or not.
It's our fault for buying these cameras. Not Nikons for making cheap plastic garbage. If they can sell the Coolpix to us, then it's not their fault. It's ours.

that's just one person. big deal.
i *have* a coolpix 990, just like the person in that thread, and its battery door works fine and that's after the camera has fallen a few times and even has a crack in the casing. the camera still works fine.
it's also a 10 year old post about a 12 year old camera, so it's not actually relevant to anything nikon currently makes.

definitely not all.

bullshit. it doesn't break in normal use.
On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 14:58:30 -0700, Savageduck wrote:

Indeed. There are a few. :)
Including a new ACL and shoulder-repair surgery, and a broken wrist & clavicle, and even a suspected broken rib (I never had it x-rayed but it hurt for months!).
But that (medical) topic is for a different newsgroup, don't you think?
On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 14:58:30 -0700, Savageduck

Wait a minute here...my two grandsons (now 8 and 9) have been using my Nikon for a couple of years. They're accustomed to using the viewfinder (no live view on my camera) and have taken some pretty good shots. If they want the camera, they put the neck strap on when the first get it. If they run or roughhouse, they lose the privilege. Kid certainly can be taught to take care of things.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

That is you and your grandsons, the OP and his boy scouts sound like an invading horde leaving a trail of destruction behind them. Properly tutored regarding responsibility and care of expensive cameras (& I suspect other stuff) and you have yet to report any damage sustained. There is nothing wrong with teaching kids responsibility & respect when handling other folks property. This is what my father did when raising me with guns, cameras, tools, motorcycles, trucks, cars, and much else.
--
Regards,

Savageduck
On 2012-07-11 06:38:49 -0700, Wolfgang Weisselberg

Sad, isn't it?
--
Regards,

Savageduck
On 7/10/2012 7:06 PM, tony cooper wrote:

Yup! When my kids were young I let them use my Nikkormat, which still works well. At first they wasted a lot of film. Then I started charging them 25 cents a roll, with developing included. The quality of their images immediately improved.
--
Peter

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 19:06:48 -0400, tony cooper wrote:

Exactly my rules now also!

you need more than a neck strap. you need a chest harness.
On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 18:41:39 -0700, nospam wrote:

:)

Yeah, right. And if the kid falls down face first? Better to teach the kid not to run with the camera.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida