where to get large philips #3 screwdriver bit?

Most philips #3 screwdriver bit (for cordless screwdriver) I found has the same diameter as a philips #2 bit. It seems for some reason the tip of the bit cannot be made wider than the shaft. The result is that the #3 bit does not fill up the entire slot in a screw, and is therefore prone to slipping out during tightening.

In a manual philips #3 screwdriver, the tip diameter is larger than a #2 screwdriver and fills up the slot on the screw nicely.

Where can I buy a larger #3 bit? Do I have to resort to cutting off my hand screwdriver's tip for this purpose?

Reply to
John

Look in the contractor supply section of the big box store.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
bamboo

Get an ACR bit. They have little ridges on the sides of the bit to grab the screws better. If you can't find them in a store order them here:

You can also get them from snap-on
A little pricey but saves money & time in the long run from stripped screws.

Reply to
RayV

Do you have a 3/8 drive socket adapter for your screwdriver? If so, then just get a #3 phillips socket, which usually comes with 3/8" drive.

If your screwdriver has an adjustable chuck that goes large enough, the handheld impact drivers that go for 25 bucks or so generally have a #3 phillips, but the shank won't fit a regular hex-drive replaceable tip screwdriver.

Reply to
J. Clarke