Where to get asbestoes shingles

Hi, Does any one know of a source for replacement asbestos shingles. Shingles that are the same thickness for siding. All the shingles I am finding in the stores are much thicker. We have some damaged pieces and I would like to replace them.

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill

I don't think they are being manufactured due to the asbestos. If you can find an old home being renovated or torn down you may get what you want. You may want to check with local asbestos handling firms and see if they would be wiling to save a few for you.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
Michael Baugh

Do you care about colour?

Reply to
William Deans

Hi Bill, I rather doubt you can find any nowdays. Asbestos was banned in 1978 and is considered a hazardous material with serious fines for mis-handeling. Inspector Dana

Reply to
Inspector D

Well, I've got a stack of about 20 fiberglass-cement ones in my basement, so I know they exist, but they came with the house, so I don't know where from. I patch my broken ones with bondo, 'cause I can't figure out how to get one out without cracking the one above it.

Ah.. here we are:

fiber-cement replacement shingles, by GAF

Reply to
default

No, I can paint them.

Reply to
Bill

I noticed my local Home Depot carrier cement fiberboard shingles. Expensive but looked like the asbestos ones on my house. (I live in NY)

Tom

Reply to
Tom K

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Tom K) had writtennews: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Tom! Asbestos has been banned for years now (In Canada anyway) They don't even allow it in brake shoes anymore and there is no mining of the stuff. Asbestos is a known cancer agent and sucks into the lungs readily. Replace them all but expect a hassel disposing of them.

Reply to
Barney

Reply to
Joe Fabeitz