where to get a drywall 'nail locator'?

Page 2 of 3

LOL! I'm cheap, not that cheap.! ...But I confess to saving the screws.

It sure does!
If you don't have any old hard-drives available, you can call around to the little hole-in-the-wall computer-repair places. They often have old hard drives left over from upgrades. If the drive is old and small enough, they might give it to you for free, or for really cheap.
Sometimes people leave old computers at the curb, hoping somebody will take them away. Usually they're stripped of the hard-drives, but next time you see one, have a peek inside; you might get lucky.
I just counted mine: I have at least 20 old hard-drives lying around, not counting the really ancient ones with stepper motors and hand-written test stickers on them...
--
Tegger

On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 16:06:21 -0800 (PST), Robert Macy wrote:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId 89967&kw=stud+finder&origkw=stud+finder&searchIdS934538544 or http://tinyurl.com/cvjce3l
True Value also has them.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId 89967&kw=stud+finder&origkw=stud+finder&searchIdS934538544
Amazon.com has the same thing for a little cheaper.
-- Steven L.

You need something more than a cheap refrigerator magnet. Get RARE EARTH magnets, which you can find at Radio Shack. They're much stronger and more sensitive to the small bits of metal you're trying to find.
Why are you trying to find the nails? You can't remove them without destroying the drywall, so if your intent is to remove them why not just rip down the drywall and put up new?
On Dec 9, 7:35am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Not using 'refrigerator magnet, using the plastic shrouded Security magnet from doorway switch. Strong, but not good enough. It is not finding screws 3/16 inch below plaster/tape job! Nails, yes, screws, no.
On Dec 9, 9:35am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Finally someone asked the question I had. I've always been interested in finding STUDS. Why the need to find nails when you know where the studs are?

The world will never know the answer... OP completely ignored my question.
At least he didn't come back with some overcomplicated, overpriced, half-assed, hair-brained way to deal with a simple issue, and eleventy- dozen excuses why the simple, straightforward, accepted way to go about it.

Un, because we want to nail into and support stuff on studs, and not into the nails, and the nails tell us where the studs are?
What do I win?
You can get all sorts of readings from beeping devices that are not a good thing to shoot a 3" drywall screw into. Pipes, conduit, live wires, lots of fun stuff.
I have puzzled for a very long time, reading two or three very good stud finders, and finding studs and all types of unidentifiable things behind the drywall, not being sure of exactly where the STUDS are. Yet, with a row of magnets along a line, I can get a mental picture that is 95% accurate as to where the studs are. Because they ONLY REACT TO STEEL NAILS OR SCREWS.
You continue to use whatever works for you. For me, a bunch of little super magnets will find the studs for me by showing where the nails or screws are. It is SOOOOOOOO sweet when you drill into something unknown to anchor, and hit solid wood.
Whatever winds yer clock.
Steve

He said he's specifically looking for drywall nails. I've hung lots of pics, shelves, brackets, made openings, etc and never went looking for nails. I've looked for studs and I've had zero problems as a result. Imagine all the hour saved over decades by not looking for those nails.
Also, a magnet for finding nails isn't going to find the most common wiring, ie Romex. Seems not many folks are interested in the nails, because the stud finders I've seen find exactly that, studs, via ultrasonic, not nails.
BTW, he finally told us his purpose in finding the nails was to remove the drywall, which seems a wasted effort. It's cheap enough to buy, not worth the time to try to remove and salvage it, and even if you do, instead of nice clean new joints to mud, you're gonna have screwed up ones where it was previously taped and mudded.

He clearly said in the first post that he already knows where the studs are.

True, I said remove the drywall, I did NOT say salvage, or re-use, you added that.
But is ok, because those that know me would have assumed that. :)

If you're not trying to salvage the drywall, why do you need to locate the nails to remove it? You just punch a hole in it between studs and rip it off. After the drywall is off, you easily pull the nails with a hammer. I could have it off in a fraction of the time it's gonna take to just locate the nails.
On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 12:34:26 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'm with you. It's even true for partial sheets, if you vacuum the dust up as the drywall is cut. Cleaning up a "Holmes" mess is often more work than the rest of the job. I suppose bashing sheetrock with a sledge makes better TV, though.
On Dec 17, 10:34am, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You got it! Less mess. And I've not found anything more 'fun' to try and get rid of than drywall dust buried in carpet.

You got it! Less mess. And I've not found anything more 'fun' to try and get rid of than drywall dust buried in carpet.
Of course, if you're a real contractor, you will want to get the job done in less than three months. Unless it's T&M, then you can take the time to find every screw and nail.

Umm, this _is_ alt.HOME.REPAIR, not alt.contractor.cuts.corners.

If you have never ever hit a drywall screw or nail with another, you have not done very much work. I use the little magnets, and when I find the nails, I take a stud finder and find the border of the studs. Many times I have to move my new nail/screw 1/4" so I don't hit the one that is already there that I would have hit had I not identified it specifically with a magnet. That may be the EXACT spot where I want to hang the picture hanger nail or put the screw so the item is centered. Hang on. Once you've done more work, this situation will come up.
Steve

I didn't say I never hit a nail. What I said was I never had a problem. I don't consider your example of hitting an existing drywall nail or screw with a picture hanging nail a problem. Hit it, nail won't go in, move it over 1/2" or so, drive it in, hang picture. You think the typical grandma hanging a pic of the grandkids is going to go searching for drywall nails?
Besides, his stated purpose for searching for the nails is to remove the drywall, a practice I have never seen.
On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 13:55:23 -0800 (PST), Robert Macy

Why? Are you re-using it? If not, just use a knife, then a flatbar to pop it off, then take out the nails/screws. If you want to re-use it though, I guess you could go after the screws. Wouldn't work with nails. Too much gouging. Use a super magnet to locate the screws.
--Vic

to remove fasteners, remove drywall
reply: A 100 % sure way to locate studs, just a little ineffective. And labor intensive.
Steve