Where to find GE motor wiring diagram

I bought an old air compressor that has a 1.5HP electric motor made by GE. It's an old motor, but it works fine. The motor is designed to run on either 120V or 240V AC. The problem is that this motor was wired for 120V. At 120v it consumes 19Amps. So, it trips the breaker if the tank is partially full, or the weather is cool, and the oil thick. I want to switch it over to 240V, which requires 9.5Amps according to the label. I already installed the receptacle for it, but then discovered this problem.

Inside the motor connection hole. There are 10 wires in there. They are numbered from 1 to 10. There is a paper label on the access cover, which (used to) have the diagram. However, I am barely able to see 1/10th of it. The label is just faded away. I dont have a clue how to switch it without the diagram.

Does anyone know of a website, or place to call or mail to find out the wiring connections?

The motor is listed as:

GE Tri Clad Capacitor motor Model# 5KC184AG201C

1.5HP 1725 Rpm

Anyone know how to get the diagram?

PS. I looked on ge.com but they dont seem to have diagrams, at least not that I can find using their search feature.

Thanks for all help

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

This is Turtle.

Without the Operator manual or the name plate with wiring diagram on motor your shot. Try to find the manufactor of the air compressor on the internet or by toll free call look up of the manufactor and try to get them to send you a diagram of wiring or look it up on the internet for a operator manual that away. Tring to blind reverse it is very hard for they have about 10 different ways to reverse different type motors the G/E has.

If you have a flate bed scanner you can put the motor tag if removiable on the scanner and scan it. Then reverse the picture to make it look like a blue print in black. They call this inverting the picture. You can read them sometime by doing this where you can't read it normally.

I just thought about one here if all else fails. Bring the motor to a motor repair shop and have them look at the winding and reverse it by knowing how it's wired up. These fellows that repair these motors would know the reversing proceedure on all these motor of G/E .

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

I passed your information along to my brother who sells GE parts. Here's his reply:

"Neither I or the GE Factory can find a file on this old motor. We believe that the catalog number is wrong . Those old motor nameplates are difficult to read. Please have this person revisit the motor and look at the cat # very carefully. The beginning looks good -5KC184- but the next two digits- AG- are mutually exlusive. So, check those out carefully."

If you can give it another try, I'll forward anything new you find to him and we'll see if he can retrieve your diagram.

HellT

Reply to
Hell Toupee

Google every number on that motor. You may turn something up.

Reply to
Greg

Thank You !!!

I am not at the location of the compressor right now, but I will look again. I did double check, but anything is possible, especially on those old tags.

I will get back to you.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

With a knowledge of how the motor works you may be able to figure it out. There are likely 4 important windings, 2 for starting and 2 for running. That makes 8 leads. The other 2 leads may be involved in the capacitor(s). For 120 V the windings are connected in parallel, for 240 V they are connected in series. The starting windings will both have the higher resistance and are connected through a centrifugal switch inside the motor to line. Reversing is usually done by reversing the connection from line to starting winding. Can't recall where the caps tie in, maybe someone else can help here. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Thanks Joe

I never know about the series or parallel wiring, but that makes sense. I assume BOTH sets of windings would then be wires in series for a 240V setup, or parallel for 120V. I am not sure about the capacitor either. In other words the centrifical switch disconnects the starting windings after the motor is spinning, right?

It would be nice to see a generic wiring diagram on the net. That might explain the capacitor connections.

Note: This is NOT a reversing motor. How that got injected into this thread I do not know. I dont think it would be good to run an air compressor backwards. I just want to convert from 120V to 240V wiring.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

Does anyone know of a website, or place to call or mail to find out

Mark, I don't know if it will be helpful, but I have the schematic for an old 1940's GE Triclad Type KC, single phase, dual voltage vertical pump motor thats 1-1/2HP, 1720 RPM. I'd be glad to send you a scan of the schematic page if you want to send me an email at: snewman24 at cox dot net

Reply to
SN

replying to maradcliff, Larry wrote: I have the same problem bead help

Reply to
Larry

replying to maradcliff, Larry wrote: I have the same problem bead help

I don't believe you are going to find that, however you can change pulley on motor reduce size of pulley or if pulley is adjustable open it up so that belt sink in, this will reduce the load on the motor and in some cases you may need to replace belt to suit if this is belt driven unit.

Reply to
Tony944

Post 6 has diagram

Reply to
intuitionx2

replying to Hell Toupee, repeter wrote: looking for a wiring diag for a GE model 3j360dby5 1/2 hp 115/230 volt 60 cy

1725 rpm need to wire a 115 3 wire cord to it
Reply to
repeter

duck, google or bing it?

Reply to