where to buy SUPER WARM mittins -- like for climbing Mt. Everest?

where to buy SUPER WARM mittins -- like for climbing Mt. Everest?

Or for a mid-winter trek across Antartica, in a 40mph wind?

Especially for long-thin-armed people where blood flow to the hands is fairly slow. Especially the older you get.

Not only where to buy, but WHAT to buy?

(For me, after 10 minutes in 15degreeF outdoors, it only FEELS like I'm on an Antartica winter trek!)

Thanks!

David

Reply to
David Combs

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote in news:jg1jpv$69e$ snipped-for-privacy@panix2.panix.com:

L.L.Bean?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

With severe arthritis in my wrists, I use rechargeable electric gloves. Once you use them, you'll never spend a lot of time in the cold outside without them. Got them as a gift (so long ago that I was stilling skiing then) but they look like this:

I suspect mine were priced at half that and use NiMH, not LIon battery technology. Fortunately mine were easy to modify so that I could load up with several battery packs for long treks and had a car charger for the AA cells. Gained the added advantage of a retention wire to keep me from losing the gloves. (-" The new LIon packs will run for 8 hours or more with a single charge.

I think you can find Chinese bargain models on Ebay and elsewhere for under $60. They don't put out a lot of heat - they just counter the chill, sort of. Keeps my hands from getting stiff in the cold.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Many years ago I saw a presentation on Antarctic type apparel from the Army clothing research lab. When you got into those extremely cold temperatures the only thing that would work on the hands or feet were battery operated warmers. Circulation to extremities is poor and surface area is large and no amount of insulation can keep warm.

This was a long time ago and maybe the chemical hand-warmers would be effective too.

Reply to
Frank

Provided you are not so tight that only dogs can hear you passing wind.

Best cold weather gloves I've ever worn in my 60+ years, and by cold I mean -45 deg. The F or C doesn't make any difference down there, however an F in the expression always seems to be a bit more appropriate.

Not only warm but very durable. The pair I have now are at least three years old and by the looks of them they will easily last another three years. I'm outside for at least an hour and a half every day walking with my dogs. Those glove have had a workout.

LdB

Reply to
LdB

For me, fit is everything. Can't have restriction. You could first put on a pair of reflective mits. Work like a space blanket, but breath.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

You might take a look here:

This link is to Webbike World motorcycle glove reviews:

Dean Hoffman

They have glove (not so likely that they have mitten) liners with silver threads in them. They are so warm, I can't wear them, at least not when I've actually been out. But if it were colder, I suppose they'd be great. They were cheap too, and I bought mine from one of those kitchen/home catalogs that have been run out of buinsess by the web. The important word is liner.

Reply to
micky

The ones I have are white, with visible metallic threads. They were also selling socks of the same style. white with metallic.

Reply to
micky

I once bought silver threaded, very thin things you put on before the glove. Layers!

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Now owned by Sears, it's all China-made garbage. I'll nothing else from LLBean. Cabela's ain't much better. I recently returned their alleged Alaskan Guide parka, it being heavier than warm.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Google for "expedition" apparel, gloves, etc.

I read boiled wool is king, but for climbers who must constantly remove mittens to get that itty-bitty finger hold. I want to buy a pair, plus get over-mittens shells, too.

some links:

Looks like a lotta places are having end-of-season sales.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Nonsense.

"L.L.Bean is a privately held, family-owned company. We do not release financial and operational information beyond what you will find here and we do not produce an annual report."

--

Reply to
dpb

OK, I stand corrected. Thanks fer that.

OTOH, I've bought a few things from LLBean. I hadda send back their "wicked good" slippers ($60) cuz they 1) started losing alleged shearling wool --after 6 wks-- like a chemo cancer patient, and 2) caused such severe itching as to become unwearable (I'm not allergic to wool). I also bought one of their alleged "20 below" down coats. Nice coats....until one reaches 20F and starts feeling the chill. Perhaps I missed where they defined "20 below". Last time I checked, in US vernacular, it means 20 degrees F below zero F! As if to larf!

Sorry, but LL is a long way from the hype. OH!...btw, I hadda justify my reasons for returning the items to get free return shipping. If my reasons were not up to their standards, I hadda pay for return shipping. I didn't both with the down coat, jes giving it to my daughter in CA, where it rarely gets below 32F. She loves it.

nb

Reply to
notbob

On 2/13/2012 3:53 PM, notbob wrote: ...

Well, that may be--I've never bought anything from them because I've always thought from the first I ever saw a catalog/ad it seemed far too expensive and targeted to the "yuppified" crowd.

--

Reply to
dpb