where to buy/refill portable propane tanks

Page 1 of 2

Decided to give up the charcoal ghost and go propane. Just bought a new lp gas grill and cart. Where's the best place to pick up a tank...and do most refill their own or go to one of these swap your tank bins at 7/Eleven or Circle K type stores ?
Thanks, Tim

Convenience stores Garden centers BBQ specialty stores Supermarkets Gas stations
Let's spin the wheel of fortune and see if we can price shop all of them, just for you, without having any idea where you live, or what steps you've taken to research this locally.
Tim R wrote in message ...

I refill my own. Most of the supermarkets where I live have locked bins outside of their stores where you can exchange. I don't know how much it costs to exchange an empty one for a full one, but they're easy to have refilled.
Cheri
"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message

You actually attach a hose to your empty tank and pump more propane into it?

Yes.

you walked in with, as opposed to the somewhat-more-expensive tank swap stations at the quicky marts.
aem sends...

That's what happens around here (NY), but the others are saying the customers do the actual filling. I've never seen that here, so I wondered...

I doubt any propane dealer would allow customers to do their own filling. the liability.the hazards.....YIKES!
(all you need is ONE clown who doesn't turn the source valve off all the way,or smokes around the site...)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I wonder if Darwin ever commented to friends about how some human activities were proof of his theories. If he were alive now, he'd be having a ball. Publishing, TV shows, the whole works.
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 00:30:56 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

I used to have that done at a winnebago lot, and repair place. I didn't want to lose my matching CharmGlo tank. They even refilled it twice after the date said NO. I even painted the thing so they wouldn't notice how old it was. But they weren't fooled, and I ended up going to the supermarket or HD and it is about 15 or 17 dollars for an exchange.

trash because it is an old style that can't be refilled. Take that to HD or Lowes and they will give you a new one for a couple dollars. Then BJ's is half the price for a fillup as anywhere else.
I have about 5 or 6 tanks running 2 grills and a refrigerator. Now I only pick up the ones in the street if they are full, which they often are.
Might not be the same where you are.

I saw some tanks at a junkyard, one which has a lot of autos, but a lot of non-auto stuff too.
He asked me why I was buying one, and I told him the truth. He smiled and sold it to me for whatever he said before, 5 dollars?
It was almost 5 pm and I went straight to the HD, and who do I see when I'm coming out of the store. The same guy going in.

I have never seen a tank on the street, and I always look at the trash. I will keep my eyes open though. What kind of n'hood has tanks in the trash?

with tanks are routinely left next to the dumpsters by people moving out. (usually in crappy condition from sitting out in weather on apartment balcony, and they don't wanna risk spilling messy rocks in U-haul truck, or truck rental guy told them they couldn't haul tanks in his truck.)
aem sends....

Makes sense. Good to know. I'll keep my eyes open..

My mover suprised me after I had packed all the boxes and he had loaded half of them by telling me he couldn't carry aerosol cans either. I'm positive he didnt' say anytyhing before that day. I had no idea in which boxes the cans were so I lied. It was May. Nothing exploded, I'm happy to say.

The places that swap tanks are generally the most expensive. I pay $10 for a refill at BJ's here in New England. Any store that sells grills will sell the tanks.

ACE Hardware refills propane tanks.(Orlando area)
Check your local Yellow Page directory.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Cheapest way is to take it to where they have a big PROPANE tank, and sell it by the gallon. Lots of gas stations have these.
Next, and more expensive are places where you exchange the tank.
All depends on convenience. I have eight, and (for me) it's worth it to run to the gas station where they sell it cheapest.
Steve
I have picked up several tanks out of the trash over the years, and bought one that looked brand new at a garage sale for $1.00. All were empty though. I refill them off my house tank, though they only get about 1/2 full before the pressure equalizes. (The house tank has a valve on it with a dip tube for liquid.) Besides the places like HD, Lowes and some hardware stores that have the exchange system, and regular propane dealers that refill tanks, around here some UHaul stores refill the small tanks also. Larry
lp13-30 wrote:

Tank has to be recertified every 10 years here. And should never be overfilled. You don't have such a law where you live? No one will refill the expired tank. Date code is stamped on the tank valve guard. I hope you are not compromising your safety issue.

Advantage of getting them filled yourself is cost. Advntage of exchanging is you always have a tank. Tanks expire and need replacing or inspection. Personally I think I save more getting it filled for 10 years which will pay for a new one when the time comes.