where to buy HVAC units for DIY

What are good sources for a new HVAC unit for residential use? We just had our condenser die and instead of fixing it, its over 20 years old, we want to replace. I am quite the handyman and want to install it, although I realize that a call to the technician is required for installing the freon or other proper coolant.
Thanks for your replies. Tom
The short answer is, nowhere. Your local suppliers aren't even going to talk to you. You can buy equipment off Ebay but everything I've seen comes precharged with R22 so you'll need an EPA 608 II license just to buy it (which CAN be done, if you're determined enough).

In my pursuit of the 608II EPA certification, can someone tell me if the 608I is a prerequisit?
Thanks, Tom

tburk writes:

Not the best approach.
Get the 609 automotive certification. The test is easier, shorter, and cheaper but designed to get you access to the nasiest CFC, namely R-12 that autos (used to) use. Since you are qualified to purchase and handle R-12, the black-tar heroin of refrigerants, the not-so-nasty R-22 is also permitted to you. You only need the 608 if you want to be hired as an employee working on fixed systems. Suppliers can accept either to sell you refrigerants and systems containing refrigerants.
Or course you must follow all the laws about venting and recovery of refrigerants, no matter how you legally obtain them with 608 vs 609 certification.
And some states have laws that are more strict.
tburk writes:

These guys in SE Florida cater to DIY: http://www.atlanticacsupply.com /
And http://www.grainger.com if you're hip.
Get your EPA license here online cheap and easy: http://www.epatest.com /
All sites now bookmarked--thank you.

DA had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/where-to-buy-HVAC-units-for-DIY-232960-.htm :
tburk wrote:

It sounds like you'll be opening yourself to a possibility that the HVAC contractor will blame any possible issues on your install as in "not sealed properly" and such. If you can find one that will agree to depend on your work, that is.
\\//. -------------------------------------
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ News and Discussions Community of the Net Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 222807 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
tburk wrote:

It sounds like you'll be opening yourself to a possibility that the HVAC contractor will blame any possible issues on your install as in "not sealed properly" and such. If you can find one that will agree to depend on your work, that is.
\\//. -------------------------------------
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ News and Discussions Community of the Net Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 222807 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Their stuff is not R22

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/view.cfm?objID 545A4E-1213-4ED0-95A1-ACF04B54583E
has detailed installation instructions.
Except for the last step, where they say you have to call someone.
I'd assume they sell the stuff too.
It has a phone number
Hmmm, most of the first 50 testimonials are from people who installed their own humidifiers, but they have 274 more.
One is from a woman who installed her own thermostat. That's impressive, given she's female and all.
If i looked right, only one of the first 50 is from someone who installed his own ac, and one is from one who just got the package that day. me, I wouldn't be sending a testimonial that day.
They give first and last names and cities, and I would find some of these people and see if they are for real. I guess I would also do a web and news search on the company too.
Contact Us Email Us Phone (800) 865-5931 Fax (425) 928-2455
Write us at: Alpine Home Air Products 1002 22nd Street Rockford, IL 61108
It's probably honest. Plus it says they give email and toll free phone tech support.
It says, Better Business Bureau Approved but I don't see them using the BBB logo. I would call them. The BBB doesn't have records on everyone, but surely they'd have complaints on someone who mentions them. I think you have to call the office in Rockford, or near there. You can be confident in our service and product quality. Our operating principles meet the Better Business Bureau's high standards for excellence.
But the instructions look great. Someone posted them here in hte last few months, but probbaly not the page I posted. It's about 12 pages long or so.

The instructions are great, but kpro is right that you should first line up an installer who will finish it for you, because you can't do that yourself without training and expensive tools;
So I looked at the webpage somemore, and I found as it it were hidden in the Scratch & Dent page stuff about finishing the installation.
http://www.alpinehomeair.com/view.cfm?objID 5FF301-64F7-4BC3-B9FE-304DEB6883D3 The second half of this this seems to appy to everything, not just the dented stuff.
Part of it was a link that would find you a contractor and this is what that siad:
" Enter your zip code below to view a listing of heating and air conditioning contractors in your area. Zip:
Taken from our listing of over 35,000 contractors nationwide, here's a list of contractors in your region. We will narrow this list to the 10 contractors nearest you once youve completed your purchase with us and requested our assistance to help you hire a contractor. Once your order is processed for delivery, we will email you a list of the contractors in your area that we are contacting for you.?"
So they only promise to contact a list of 10, but they don't say that anyone among them has agreed to finish jobs like this. Contacting them means writing them a letter.
For my zip code, the first list they provided included a fuel oil company (which may repair furnaces and do a good job, but doesn't install ACs, Im sure. And entries called Automatic Controls, and Statewide Controls, which probalby make controls, but don't install AC.
Their list is just something from yp.google.com. It's like when I looked up kerosene, and only 1 out of 20 hits actually sold kerosene. The others were only listed because kerosene matched up with keywords like heating, so all kinds of heating places were listed.
And there is the warranty issue that someone mentioned. Very important.
And they pretty much only handle Goodman, fwiw.
But their instructions seem great.

83D3
That is exactly what they do... the contractors are not signed up with them or even know they're on their list!!!!!!
And they say this should only cost $100-300 for completion?????? LMAO
If I would actually do this for someone, it'd sure as hell be more than that!!!!!

You better locate someone that will finish your DIY project, first.
I will tell you, I don't and won't finish another person's problems!

And ask if they know the difference between latent and sensible heat :-)
Nick

And if they know the difference between superheat and subcooling. :-)

My wife thinks the heat should be at least 74 degrees to be sensible.

The companies that I know of will not sell to someone who is not in the trade. Even if they did you would be paying full retail price. Your best bet is to find someone or a company in the trade that will work with you. Maybe you could remove the old system and get the site ready for the new one. Offer to do all clean up and remove trash. You could also install the electric wiring. You are better off having the installer furnish the equipment for warranty purposes.