Where to buy Compressor Oil, 30W ND

Page 1 of 2
Can anyone tell me where can buy 30W ND (Non Detergent oil) in SFO? I have been to HD, Lowes, Kragen, Pep Boys and almost every auto spare part store and cannot find any Non-Detergent oil. The closest oil I can buy is at Sears, they sell 20W (and it may not be ND). I remember O'Relly in the Midwest do sell Shell 30W ND oil in their stores.
Thanks
John JJ wrote:

I have no idea specifically, but one those must carry oil specifically marked "compressor" oil instead of looking for ND motor oil?
If no retail, try the industrial supply folks in yellow pages...
dpb wrote:

Back in the days when I used to have a compressor that used Anderol 500, I got it from the Ingersol compressor dealer down the street. Sometimes the answer is the most obvious.
I would expect a compressor company to carry any kind of oil used in a compressor. I used to get my activated alumina and activated charcoal from them as well. We were filling scuba cylinders.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
John JJ wrote:

Tractor Supply Company (TSC).
Rob

Thank you Rob and everyone too, the good news, TSC do supply them and the bad news it's more than an hours drive.
http://www.mytscstore.com/shopping_list.asp?action d&sku01210.
.
John JJ wrote:

I think I've seen at least one brand of 30wt API SA-rated motor oil at Walmart recently. I think you can also use API "SB" motor oil (if you can find it)
Bob

Nope, they stop selling them. Thanks anyway.

John JJ wrote:

More good news...
There's always a couple hundred bucks of stuff to buy at TSC making the trip worth while!
Rob

I buy all of that sort of stuff at McMaster-Carr. Always have it next day for minimal shipping charge.
On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:13:53 -0500, Ignoramus3627

I second that. The shipping [even for a big bag of bolts] is usually less than what I would have spent on impulse crap at the borg. Even if I had some self-control, I can be doing something other than being frustrated by out-of-stock, misplaced, poor quality, or not-quite-right goods. [and most of the above applies to way too many of the clerks these days]
I'm in upstate NY and I have gotten next-day deliveries from McMaster, but it is usually 2 days. Well worth the wait.
[Their site lists a brick&mortar in LA so west coast deliveries are probably as fast.]
Jim URL, BTW- http://www.mcmaster.com /

Sears used to carry "compressor oil" in the tool department. Obviously, a compressor shop would have it.
Bob

Yes, they sell 20W compressor oil, but no indication if it's "Non-detergent" oil. Was there this morning. Thanks

John JJ wrote:

DOH?

I've never seen a recommendation to use detergent oil for a compressor. Unless it says it is, you should be quite safe.
Bob

been
Home Depot has it. They carry Ingersol Rand air compressor oil in the tool department.
--
Dennis

says...

NAPA Auto Parts is where I get mine. I may be wrong, but I think the 30W at O'Reillys is a detergent oil. The stuff from NAPA is definitely ND (I just checked to make sure).
Now if somebody can tell me where I can buy 20W ND ...

I called up and they told me they have 3Qt left, and immediately buy all three Qt, that should last me a few years. I did ask if they have 20W Non-Detergent oil, yes they have.
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.
walmart has it.
--
Steve Barker

"John JJ" < snipped-for-privacy@somewhere.org> wrote in message

I've seen the result of tests of using ND oil in an automobile engine. Cuts engine life in half.
I question the mfg in requiring it in their compressors.
I've not seen any foaming in the other oils.
good point. we always just put the same ol' straight 30 in the compressor that we are running in the fleet.
--
Steve Barker