Where to buy

I want some boards that match the profile on my window sills. Can & where can i buy lumber with the profile on it ?

Reply to
desgnr

lumberyard?

geesh... (

Reply to
dpb

Chances are that you will not be able to find lumber that already matches the profile of your window sills. But the place to look and ask would be at regular lumber yards in your area and not Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

If the profile is not too complicated, it may be able to be reproduced using a router and the right router bits, etc. Shows like This Old House make it look easy, but you need the right tools etc. to do it.

Reply to
Jay-T

Look in phone book for Carpenters...

Reply to
Bill

I want you to stop asking to be spoon-fed. "I need a part for my car, can & where can i buy a part for it?" Sheesh.

I can almost understand being too lazy to DAGS, but being too lazy to post a complete question? That's just ridiculous.

RicodJour

Standard profiles are called "mouldings:" most wholesalers publish pocket catalogues that you can pick up at vendors (e.g. Home Depot.) Non-standard profiles are made to order by lumber dealers who do "millwork" (cf. Yellow Pages.)

Reply to
Don Phillipson

You may have to just search your yellow pages, starting there, then asking for shops who sell what you want. We wanted to do some special wide baseboard. We started calling, and soon found a warehouse very close to us that had just about everything made. It was a couple of streets off the main drag, but we would have never ever found it of gone in that neighborhood. They had hundreds of profiles, and if they didn't have it, they could get it in two days.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

Gawd, Smitty. If we were only as wonderful, knowledgeable, and pleasant as you, what a wonderful world this would be.

PS: I had the same problem, and I found literally nothing at the lumber yard. They sent me to a specialty wood supplier, and they sent me to the final place that handled all manner of trim.

So, your advice to go to the lumber yard is flawed. Next time you don't know the answer, or can't help, why don't you just go take your meds and leave it to people who know and who can help? Or learn to use those little arrows on your computer, yeah, those little ones on the right of your keyboard, to pass on to someone with a real crisis or earthchanging problem where you ARE qualified to comment.

HTH, but I doubt it. Strike two on a three strike rule. Unless, of course, you fly out with just one hit. You do occasionally make rational lucid statements that are helpful and knowledgeable. What happened today? Someone shit in your cornflakes?

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

Well, then, one could always just learn to read "designr" in the "from" column, and ignore him, which would be an easy thing to do.

Or, as some posters do, just say "Google is your friend", but then we wouldn't need a newsgroup.

Or we could get cranky and go off.

I agree with the comment on the dell insprin sig. A little lame, but harmless. I've just learned to ignore it, and snip.

Why is he on a DIY group? You'd have to ask him, but I believe it is to ask questions and get information from people willing to help him. Just a guess.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

Agreed. It's one thing to be a noob, but to be a lazy noob who doesn't learn, and who doesn't even try to do any of their own homework at all is annoying.

And the skillfully crafted questions aren't limited to this newsgroup:

RicodJour

Look in your yellow pages for a window and door manufacturer. A good local "real lumberyard" here has a window and door division. The next choice would be to look for a millwork company in your area.

I assume you do not have a table saw and/or skills to manufacturer your own from stock.

Reply to
DanG

You have a much better memory than I do if you recall me giving instructions regarding a handgun in that manner. As a 15 year now holder of a CCF, and with some previous law enforcement experience, I seriously think you have me confused with someone else, or you are just plain confused. Currently, I do have three e mail addresses, all easy to find. One for my dish, one for hotmail, and one for g mail, all different so as to channel the right e mail to the right place. Oh, yeah, then there is the strictly business e mail. No need to put that out except to business contacts. But, as you know, I'm not hard to find, even if someone wanted to say find my address and pay me a visit. If you do notice, I do post a valid e mail address in my replies, something that a very lot of people here do not.

You have a great day, and do some reading and research to get your facts straight.

Or not, and just continue thinking in error.

Reply to
Steve B

Around here there are several options. There are the custom molding suppliers, and a lot of custom furniture makers who will do any kind of millwork you could immagine - as well as the local craft and woodworking club that I joined for $100 a year where I can make anything I need, if I have the time and patience.

Reply to
clare

Well, I will give you half a credit, Grasshoppa. You did quote the text correctly and accurately. The important thing you missed is:

IF THE PERSON COMES ON YOUR PROPERTY, YOU HAVE THE LEGAL RIGHT TO DO THIS.

Unless, of course, you live in Kalifornia or similar. In the states where I have residences, Utah, Nevada, and Arizona, this is entirely legal, and has gotten people shot with little or no paperwork.

If you look CLOSELY this time, I stated it more than once during the sequence of posts you quoted that this was the scenario only if the person were to come on your property. And I would have no problem with someone at my door at 3 AM doing just what I said to do in the post.

You can see a lot by observing.

-Yogi Berra-

Good work. You may leave now.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

Hmmm. Well, that thread's OP never said the neighbor came over at 3 AM, and the neighbor never threatened - he asked the OP if he could be "a little more quiet".

Normal responses would be "No, sorry.", "Can we talk about all of that junk in your yard for a minute?", or "I try to be as quiet as I can."

Advising someone to pull a gun on someone in that situation is just silly. Like clowns in big shoes silly.

You have to give Smitty points on calling you on your calling him reactionary, and extra credit for taking the time to back it up with the research.

There's always tomorrow. ;)

RicodJour

"Smitty Two" wrote i

Smitty, you follow me like a shadow. The thread is over. The points have been made. Don't make yourself look any worse by posting incoherent unrelated babble like you just did. Give it up, buddy, and go work on something around your house. Take a nap. Play with your dog. Play with your favorite partner. Take your grandkids to the newest kid flick and ice cream after.

Just go do something else, and let this die. If you post again on this, I'll just have to pull the plug on you, and I don't want to do that because you know a lot about home repair.

You remember home repair? The topic of this newsgroup?

No?

sigh .................

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

Texas Penal Code Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property: (1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section

9.41; and (2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary: (A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or CRIMINAL MISCHIEF DURING THE NIGHTTIME; ... [emphasis added]
Reply to
HeyBub

Sorry, Bub. Smitty seems to have his mind made up. He just really doesn't get it.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

Sorry, you're off my radar.