Where to buy 3x5 pads

Page 1 of 2
A bit OT, but I can't find these anywhere. Simple 3x5 pads of paper, sold in packs of 4 for a couple of dollars. It seems no one sells basic things anymore. Staples, Target, drug store chains.... they all have things like overpriced appointment books and sticky notes but seem to be phasing out basic products that don't provide a high profit margin.
(I'd also love to find 4x7, 6-hole notebook paper, but I'd settle for notepads.)
On Friday, June 3, 2016 at 10:08:36 AM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:

Did you try putting "buy 3 x 5 notepad" into google?
On Fri, 3 Jun 2016 07:40:44 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

I use 3x5 cards. They are pretty easy to find but if you are ordering other office supplies online they are dirt cheap. They seem to hold up a lot better if you shove them in your pocket. When I get bored I pick up a few cards and do the things I (or my wife) have written down.
On Fri, 3 Jun 2016 10:08:16 -0400, "Mayayana"

Do you mean 3x5 *cards* that people make notes on to use when giving a speech or at a debate?
Staples calls them 3x5 index cards. http://www.staples.com/3x5+index+cards/directory_3x5+index+cards They have 500 at the top of the page but it gets less.
But maybe you don't because you use the word pads.
At Staples I searched for 3x5 note pads and there were many but none were 3x5. I searched for 3x5 paper pads and only one out of dozens was 3x5 but maybe that's enough for you: http://www.staples.com/Ampad-Mini-Notepads-3-x-5-Legal-Rule-White-50-Sheets-Pad-3-Pads-Pack-20-201-/product_420578 It's taller than it is wide. I had in mind wider than tall, but maybe you didn't. Free shipping to store.

On 06/03/2016 12:26 PM, Micky wrote:

I saw 100 cards at Kroger for 99 cents. Most of the notepads I've used recently are "free" ones charities send (Junk mail IS good for something).
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

In the 8th grade, the boys took metal shop, which included 6? weeks of print shop, and each of us had to get a food recipe and print 30? of them on 3x5 cards, then the divided them up so each of us got each recipe. For the girls to cook.

On 6/3/2016 7:08 AM, Mayayana wrote:

We had a similar experience, recently. I keep a spiral bound "log book" in each car to record fuel purchases, fuel efficiency, repairs, etc. (so, I have an idea if something "may not be right" with the vehicle before it becomes a "real problem")
Often, I want/need a scrap of paper to write a note. Ripping them from the log book suffices. But, means the log book *loses* a sheet of paper, permanently!
I was just looking for an old fashioned pad with the "glue" binding that makes it convenient to rip off (without TEARING!) the individual sheets.
"Surely, they must sell these for 25c/each!"
The regular stores (department and grocery) all had spiral bound varieties but nothing like this.
I will have to try one of the dollar stores to see if they still carry them -- or if the world has "moved on" to better bindings...

Pretty much every print shop in the country should be able to make these for you. Our in-house print shop made them in the 90's before all that stuff was farmed out.
snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) writes:

or, http://www.staples.com/Staples-Glue-Top-Notepads-3-x-5-inch-White/product_163436
On 6/3/2016 11:50 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Oh, I'm sure I can *get* them! I was just surprised to NOT find them EVERYWHERE! Used to be able to buy this stuff at KMart, Target, local drug store (before they were "chains"), etc.
It's been so long that I've used a *pad* that I'd not been in the market to realize how it had changed!
On Fri, 03 Jun 2016 12:54:33 -0700, Don Y

Have you seen a Samsung "note" phone? Kids today do not use paper.

There have been paper alternatives for decades. Kids aren't the only ones who "buy things".
I suspect few of them drink prune juice -- yet I still see it for sale! :>
On 6/3/16 2:00 PM, Don Y wrote:

For years, I kept notes in a small looseleaf "memo book" about 4 1/2"x 7". If you needed more paper, they had pre-punched refills to go in them.
Then, about 10 years ago, these things disappeared from the market. No more refill paper available, either.
I guess there's no buyers for them any longer. Folks are using digital devices for note-taking and info-storing these days.
I still have mine sitting next to me. Even was "Made in USA" !!

My PDA is an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper. When you make the font really small, you can put 150 or 200 lines on the two sides, with everyone I would ever call and a lot of other important info too.
When it changes substantially, I print another copy. I put the old ones by my bed and kitchen phones. At my desk I use the computer, because I'm a very modern guy.
On 6/3/2016 9:28 PM, John Albert wrote:

I think it's just that the "mainstream outlets" don't see the demand.
You can still buy Cross pen/pencil sets. And, refills for them. Yet, I doubt ink and graphite work on "digital devices"! :>

I used to keep my address book with one entry per "short page" (like the size of a business card) in a multi-ring notebook.
Then, moved it to a PDA ~20 years ago. And, naturally, backed up on a PC. Then, got tired of carrying the PDA and keeping it charged.
Eventually, realized it was a hassle to have to boot a PC just to check on an address or phone number.
So, moved everything back to paper. The advantages of an electronic device aren't significant: rapid search (really? how hard is it to flip to the M's to find "Martin"?), ease of changes (how often do folks move? change phone numbers? birthdates? spouses?), etc.
Address "book" now takes up a bit more physical space than the PDA (though when you add in the charger and USB harness, it starts to be a wash) but it *always* works! :>
| For years, I kept notes in a small looseleaf "memo book" | about 4 1/2"x 7". | If you needed more paper, they had pre-punched refills to go | in them. | | Then, about 10 years ago, these things disappeared from the | market. | No more refill paper available, either. |
That's what I use for work, with the 6-hole paper. I do estimates in it, make lists of materials to buy, keep phone numbers, etc. I have an extra notebook, just in case. But like you, I haven't been able to find new ones, or the paper for them. I have to make the paper with regular notebook paper and a hole punch.
| I guess there's no buyers for them any longer. Folks are | using digital devices for note-taking and info-storing these | days. |
I suspect it has more to do with computer programs that calculate profit margins. The same reason I can buy a tile saw at Home Depot but then can't buy a replacement blade a few years later. They try to only stock what makes big money.
If people were really using digital options then Staples wouldn't have an entire aisle of overpriced, "fashion accessory" appointment books, or 1/3 of an aisle just for different colors and sizes of expensive sticky notes. (I wonder about the recyclability of sticky notes. I rarely want something sticky and I rarely want such a small piece of paper. So why pay more for glue that I just have to fold over in order to make my errand list, and which may impede recycling?)
Awhile back I was doing a job for a couple in their 90s. They were surprised when I pulled out 2 copies of my receipt paper and a piece of carbon paper. Even they hadn't seen carbon paper for years. I bought a single pack, probably 2 decades ago, and I'm still using it. The stuff lasts for a long time! These days I often email receipts as PDFs, but I also sometimes write them out with carbon paper.

If you have one of those little under $100 wet saws, they do sell replacement blades for them:'
http://www.homedepot.com/s/wet%2520saw%2520blade
All you need to do is match up the diameter of the blade and the size of the center hole. Then pick the blade for the material you're cutting (tile, concrete, etc.)

I've had a book of sticky notes in my drawer for over 10 years. I never use them. My wife uses them occasionally to bookmark pages in a cookbook or magazine. :)

You can still buy carbon paper too:
http://officedepot.com/a/products/591273/Porelon-Typewriter-Carbon-Paper- Black-8/
I think people mostly use it for craft projects these days. I know I haven't had a need for it in 20+ years.
On 6/4/2016 8:20 AM, HerHusband wrote:

I object to "post-it's" on the grounds of utter inefficiency and insane cost!
OTOH, a colleague clued me in to an EXCELLENT use for them!
I don't like marking up text/reference books. But, frequently encounter errors. So, I just slap a post-it note on the page and write the correction on the note paper! When I revisit that page, it's presence is a perfect reminder that "something is wrong, here" so I don't have to rediscover the same mistake, later!
(I found some really tiny notes -- like 1"x1.5" -- that I now keep for just this purpose. You can adhere them to the page "in a margin" and never have to worry about a *larger* note obscuring part of the text on the page!)
|> The same reason I can buy a tile saw at Home Depot but then can't | > buy a replacement blade a few years later. | | If you have one of those little under $100 wet saws, they do sell | replacement blades for them:'
That may be, but when I bought the first saw they carried blades and parts for it. By the time I needed something that brand was gone. I find that increasingly. Retailers use computer programs to calculate what to carry, with no regard for serving their customers in the long term. That wouldn't be so bad if it were one store, but chain "multi-opolies" like HD/Lowes and CVS/Walgreens have all but eliminated privately owned stores.
On 6/4/2016 12:36 PM, Mayayana wrote:

They have no obligation to their customers -- beyond what it takes to keep cash coming in the front door (for their STOCKholders).
There are several stores, here, that engage in this "is-it-making-us-the-most-money-for-the-shelf-space-it-consumes" reasoning. We don't complain about that.
But, when they stop carrying something that we want, we make a point of NOT replacing that purchasing habit/preference with something *else* that THEY carry. Instead, we approach it as "where can we find that product -- even if at an increased price?" and, barring that, "which OTHER product would we like to replace that product -- preferably from a supplier that WON'T force us to rethink this decision RSN?"
Trader Joe's will soon no longer be on our weekly shopping list because they've CHOSEN to stop supplying us with the products that we enjoyed; we found alternatives at other stores -- and don't hesitate to tell our friends of these experiences (TJ's just rebrands other peoples' products, for the most part).
Costco is falling in line behind TJ's as soon to be just "where we purchase our gasoline". Of course, that won't justify the annual membership so they'll lose that business as well.
Sad as the staff at both of these places are among the best that we encounter in our routine shopping (but, as the stores have no particular requirement to satisfy OUR purchasing needs, we have no particular requirement to address the employment needs of their staff).