Where to buy 15 ft 3.5" OD pole?

Same old driller and the same old shit.
And I dont know why they come in random lengths either..though Ive made enough trips to see several thousand miles of drill stem, and measured every single last joint of it.
Gunner
"This phenomena occurs in many voting precincts, especially near Chicago. Democrat voters are so loyal in some areas that they continue to vote for decades after their deaths. Since most of these deceased Democrats surely vote from Hell, this leads one to wonder about the accommodations made between the Democrat National Party and The Devil. Perhaps this is best reflected in the hook nosed, pointy eared, Herman Munster looking candidate the Democrats choose to run for President this year." Strider
wrote

This is Turtle.
For the first 1 to 2 mile of drill pipe put in the hole you can use the 44 foot joints. then after that you had to go to the 39 foot joints because of the main rotor putting so much tork on the drill pipe. They had 1,000+ horse power D.C. electric motor turning the rotor and they can twist it off if it hit a rock formation or hard spot.
Any Man that has ever looked down through a V Door while working, you don't have to tell him about hard work or how it is. Did you ever get use to that safety belt tied on your ass ?
Are you still a member of the InternationBrother Hood of Oil Field Trash ? I give up my membership about 15 years ago and I still is getting calls from the Membership about a Cook up that is going on.
TURTLE

I got a couple of buckles, but never officially joined. I thought it was just a loose informal brotherhood of oilfield workers who wanted a title.
They have cook outs?
Hmmmmmmmmmm
Steve

This is Turtle.
Once a Oil field Trash --- Alway Oil Field Trash till you die. Most all Oil field Trash turn into people like Jeff Foxworthy and start to make good money. A lot of Jeff's thinking on jokes come from older oil field trash members.
TURTLE

This is Turtle.
The 404 stuff is a lot of times put together with what they call a Zapota Lock joint. You don't weld it but a big machine will push one end into the other with a socket joint in it and there is a ring that snaps into place. It take about 20,000 + pound of pressure to push the pipe into the other. When it comes to the ring it will make a noise like a 22 rifle going off when it snaps into place. this might what ytou say is the story to use this Zapota Locking joints .

I use to work in the oil field and everytime it had the 404 or the 606 on it. It would say on the pipe : [ Inland Steel Pipe - SS-404 ] or 606. It may be their code or rating of the pipes and valves. This 404 stuff was very good for Acid plants where they flowed highly corrisive stuff through it. The Shell Oil Refinery in Channel View , Texas used a lot of this stuff in their Battery Acid refining section.

You got me wondering about the 404 business .
TURTLE

Yep, me too! The 606, too. Neither of those terms show up in the stock book. If you learn more, or I do, lets post it for those that have an interest.
Be cool,
Harold

This is Turtle.
I will see about checking with some of my old Oil Field Trash workers from the past about the 404 and the 606 stuff.
TURTLE
snip----

Harold
Home Despot. I just did mine yesterday. Used a piece of 1 1/4 galvanized. Direct TV hardware fit right on. Lumber is not very stable if it isn't treated.
--
Steve Walker
snipped-for-privacy@verizonwallet.net (remove wallet to reply)

Go the a plumbing supply house. They are not as high prices as you may think.
IIRC, most poles for that sized dish have to be sunk about 4' deep. Consider renting an auger to dig the hole.

Mike Try using 3 inch Rigid Steel Conduit. It comes in 10 ft. lengths and each length has a coupling.
JRW

Yellow pages under steel supplier. They usually sell to the general public. You could probably get some from a scrap dealer at 15% of what new will cost.
Steve

Take a drive down to Annapolis and check out the rigging and boat yards, particularly over in Eastport along both sides of Back Creek. Sounds like you could use a piece of somebody's cast-off aluminum mast section. There is a fair bit of it lying around in the yards out there -- ask around, you'll probably find somebody to sell you a length for not too much money, since it wouldn't be much good for anything else.
Regards,
Bob
Michael Shaffer wrote:

3.5 inch OD pipe is schedule forty 3 inch iron pipe. You will not find it at home depot. You will have to go to a plumbing supply and one that deals with utility pipe.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

That's true, but it's also true of pipe schedule from 5S through XXS. Pipe outside diameter doesn't change, wall thickness (and inside diameter) does. For a sturdier mount, one could go to a higher schedule, assuming cost was not an issue.
Harold

Lots of suggestions and sidetracks (interestin) in this thread. To reply to 'where to find it?' - go to any welding shop or business using iron in construction (farm equipment & fertilizer in this area). They will have stock sizes in 20 ft lengths. May even cut to size at no cost. I doubt if you will find it any cheaper anywhere else except a scrap yard. I suspect plumbing shops would be higher.
Harry K
even with a fairly large size pole, you will still get quite a bit of wind sway with a dish on the top. I would instead make a tripod of much smaller tubing (1 sch 40, maybe). The resulting structure will be much more rigid.
bill

The best place would be a metal supply business. I break my spinnaker pole too often, and I can pick up a replacement aluminum pole and reinstall the fittings far cheaper than by buying at a chandler.
I would, however, offer an alternative suggestion. Try to find a ham radio operator, or a club, in your area, and ask for their advice. I am thinking that what you really need is a guyed mast, and they will know where best to get them. Basically, this would look like an erector set, but you would have cables from the top to form a triangle and keep the mounting point immobile.
Michael Shaffer wrote:

there.

if you're breaking a spin pole often, you're either doing something wrong or need a bigger/thicker section. try a carbon fiber tube which actually aren't that hard to make.

It's an idea, however, the antennas that radio operators use tend not to be large relatively flat surfaces.
The dish may be perforated, but it doesn't matter. I don't remember the exact number, but it's something like any dish made with perforations smaller than about 1" is darn close to equivalent to unperforated sheet metal w.r.t. wind pressure calculations.
The perforations save weight, not wind pressure.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est