Where to buy 15 ft 3.5" OD pole?

Page 2 of 4

Prices must be different where you are. I just called Curtis Steel in Las Vegas. I have an account there, but did not mention this. The price I got over the phone was $116 for a 21 foot piece. Schedule 40 pipe comes in 21 foot sections. That works out to a price of $5.52 per foot.
I really believe that a piece of this pipe, or a piece of adequate I beam could be had at a scrap yard for a lot less than the $116 price I found, or the $210 price the other poster quoted. Schedule 40 pipe is tough stuff, and unless it is totally corroded, a used piece will do as good as new. Paint will hide a lot of stuff.
If you paid $10 per foot, you might want to check with your supplier or shop around a bit more.
Steve

you're
pole.
dish,
got
or
shop
I was buying a "less than 21 foot" piece, so I'd expect to pay more per foot than for a full piece. Also, I didn't shop around, I just went to a place that I expected to have it and paid retail. FWIW: The polar mounts for these dishes are designed to fit around 3 inch pipe, and it would be a PIA to make them work with something else. Not impossible or even difficult, but a PIA never the less.
The polar mounts for these

A weld on bell reducer and a pup of pipe would do it if the reduction was needed at the end of the pipe. If it were needed in the middle, then the cost of the pipe would be even cheaper for a 3" OD pipe.
Steve

Metal suppliers tend to charge by the pound because it's a standard commodity item, and the shape doesn't matter much. 3" sched 40 is 7.6 pounds/foot.
At the place I like going (it's not a HUGE industrial supplier, but it definately isn't a consumer boutique either ;-) I was last paying about $1CDN/pound. Couple of dollars per cut if they bother charging.
A friend of mine built a 12' dish mount with some 3" (for a radio telescope) for a mount.
Should be plenty strong. Just wasn't quite so sure of the welds on the diagonal bracing (it's bolted on top of a concrete slab, instead of embedded)..
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Extremely expensive!!! It can be had for less than half that price. I've not bought pipe in months but I paid that for 20". Steel has jumped recently though.
It is possible to buy used pipe that is in good condition. I'd also ask around at a couple of weld shops.

I just had to buy some

Following up on my own post. $10 a foot is a good price today. It has been going up over the summer. I just called my supplier and he expects it to be upwards of $15 a foot soon. Some mills will not even quote a price until time of shipment because it has been changing so fast.
Yeah, my first idea is to inquire as to why you need a 12 ft pipe. Sure, you can get one, but why? Your subject line mentions it as a 15 ft pole, I figure you're planning on it being 3 ft deep. That question coming from someone that has mounted several dishes already. I am not willing to put one on a roof, because there are plenty of other places they can be put, and more easy access gained. So my first question is why you want a 12 foot pole.

Lowes will sell you 3" ID PVC pipe 20' long. (OD will be close to 3.5") Set it and pour it solid with concrete (about 80-90 lbs) after you get all the bolts set in it where you want them. I'm not sure how you would break it after the concrete sets.
Michael Shaffer wrote:

Hi, 4x4 lumber wouldn't do it? Tony

Plumbing supply houses are the ones that sell iron pipe in 20' lengths, which sounds like what you need, a 20' piece of 3 or 4" iron pipe. You'll probably want galvanized, or face a lifetime of rust.
You can get the pipe at http://www.asapsource.com
Rich http://www.garage-door-hardware.com

You sure can, but did you check the prices??? OMIGOSH, I've never seen prices that high.
You have to call them and speak to a rep for a price quote.

The web page has prices of 88 an inch for 4" pipe. Discount it 50% and then add shipping and you still have very high prices. Some things just don't lend themselves to mail order.

$0.60 per inch for 3.5" od sch 40 pipe, or $108 for the materials, less S&H&every thing else.

This is Turtle.
A 12' joint of Sch. 40 -- 3.5" pipe would cost $135.00+ ----- WOW !!!!! That is what the samething cost Retail / New but in 404 Stainless Steel.
They are proud of their joints.
TURTLE

prices
That is

Say what?
I can only imagine that you meant 304, not 404, but if you can find stainless (pipe) at the price you quoted, if I were you, I'd buy it up and make a cool profit reselling it. . Do keep in mind that pipe is not normally sold in 12' lengths.
Now if you're talking about "joints", a subject about which I know nothing, maybe you're right.
Harold

This is Turtle
If you want it to shine Smooth finish and looks pretty you use the 300 series and if you don't care about it looking pretty you use 404 industrial grade Stainless Steel Pipe. 404 has a ruff finish and sometime off color in gray looking colors. You usely will paint the 404 to make it look pretty in the oil industry. For the shinny smooth finish you pay dearly for it. years ago it sold for about $90.00 for a 20 foot joint of 3.5" Sch. 40. It must have went up in the last 15 years and could be up to $150.00 to $170.00 a 20 foot joint. These prices was for Oil field work and not for a hardware store to sell. If you request the 300 series smooth and pretty this joint would run you maybe $300.00 to $400.00. The oil Industry buys ruff ugly pipe and cheap and not shinny and pretty.
When you say a joint of pipe. The slang words for this is a joint of pipe is any length over 10 feet that you want to refer to it as talking about it.
All pipe like this is sold in 10 feet joints, 20 feet joints, and rolls of a half miles. 10 feet and half mile rolls are rare and most everything is sold in 20 feet joints. The half mile rolls are used on pipe line laying from big spools off Catapillar skid and can lay a 1/2 mile of pipe before they have to make a weld. A bought the only way to transport it is by ships or railroad for the spool is about 30 feet high and 20 feet wide. It is also used a lot in the Gulf of Mexico where they can supply it to the pipe laying equipment and not have a transporting problem. Now I have been told they have longer spools for the Gulf work and can get 2 or 3 miles on spools to lay in the Gulf.
The public buys the 300 series and the industrial works buys the 400 and 600 series for their use. Also the Industrial people buy sometimes 50 to 100 miles of pipe and they get discounts out of this world.
TURTLE
snip-------

series
oil
sold
in
These
$300.00
and
is any

sold in

spools
make a

the
Gulf
have a

Gulf
600
miles
Hey Turtle!
Things in the oil industry must be far different from those in the manufacturing industries. There are no 400 series pipe types listed (Jorgensen stock list, 1988) which doesn't surprise me in the least. 400 series stainless is a straight chromium stainless (no nickel), unlike the 300 series. The 400 series is heat treatable, which could present particular problems when (field) welded.
Pipe and tubing are available in 304, 316, 321 and 347 only, according to Jorgensen.
I can't help but wonder if the 404 designation pertains to oil field jargon, not to the alloy from which the pipe is made. Comments?
Thanks for the explanation of "joint". Again, likely an oil field term, certainly nothing ever used where I worked, but then we didn't specialize in pipe, either.
Harold

Unless, of course, you are referring to a joint of drill pipe. In that case, they are random lengths, IIRC, from 39 to 44 feet each, and I don't know why they are uneven lengths. I have sent many hundreds of miles of it up to the drill floor through the V door.
Perhaps Turtle knows the answer to the why of the uneven lengths.....
Steve