Where should smoking be illegal?

Page 9 of 16
On 05/28/2016 09:57 PM, Muggles wrote:

Well, I guess we had better cancel our normally scheduled August forest fires.

The state does controlled burns here that fill the neighborhoods with smoke for days but if my neighbor lights up a cigarette in the park, some of these ninnies around here want to call a cop.
On 29/05/2016 08:25, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Yup, hypocrisy abounds.
--
Bod

On 29/05/2016 07:12, rbowman wrote:

Don't forget wood burning stove fumes and CH boiler fumes plus car exhaust emissions. Muggles says she could die from just one whiff of them, lol.
--
Bod

On 5/29/2016 2:54 AM, Bod wrote:

I never said that. I did say that secondhand smoke makes me physically ill, and that VOC's in the air can do the same thing.
--
Maggie

On 29/05/2016 16:12, Muggles wrote:

The smell of beetroot makes me feel sick, so does the smell of petrol and petrol/ diesel fumes. Let's ban all cars/ lorries/ buses/ trucks/ petrol lawnmowers etc and beetroot should be banned in all public places.
Life throws up many things that others do, that we don't like so why not just accept reality.
--
Bod

On 5/29/2016 10:20 AM, Bod wrote:

I imagine beetroot isn't all that common enough in any given public place to make an issue out of it.
As far as gas fumes go, people have put a lot of effort into producing electric cars and actually hope to make them the car of the future.

--
Maggie

On 05/29/2016 10:20 AM, Bod wrote:
[snit]

and, knowing that, I would avoid using beetroot around you. I wouldn't use it anyway and blame you for not leaving. That's called respect.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 29/05/2016 20:48, Mark Lloyd wrote:

No, *I* would accept that *you* have the right to eat it and *I* would avoid you. I'm the one with the problem about beetroot. "Live and let live".
--
Bod

On 5/29/2016 1:12 AM, rbowman wrote:

That kind of smoke make people sick, too.
Fire fighters wear breathing equipment because that smoke isn't good to breathe, either. People die from smoke inhalation, and they also have similar physical responses to forest fire smoke that people have from secondhand cigarette smoke.
--
Maggie

On Sun, 29 May 2016 10:02:57 -0500, Muggles

OK fine, why aren't you campaigning to ban wood stoves, fire places and back yard charcoal grills? A neighbor can burn 40 pounds of wood in an evening with impunity but if he is burning a gram of tobacco and you smell it, you go ballistic. I doubt there is s suburb in America where you don't smell a whiff of wood smoke in the winter or the smell of grilling meat in the summer. By your definition, if you can smell it, you are being harmed. When a bagel gets sideways in the toaster, do you evacuate the house and stay in a hotel until the place is decontaminated?

If you'd like to debate a different topic, start another thread. This topic is about smokers and smoking, right?
Moving the goal posts and trying to change the subject doesn't change the facts about smoking or secondhand smoke and it's dangers.

Your exaggerating my reaction. I don't go ballistic - I GET SICK from secondhand smoke. Those are 2 separate responses. One is an emotional response, and the other is a physical response that can't be controlled, unlike an emotional response CAN be controlled.

--
Maggie

On Sun, 29 May 2016 10:54:09 -0500, Muggles

Only tobacco smoke? If not my point is valid. The fact remains most of the compounds in tobacco smoke is also in wood smoke.

Tobacco smoke is the main smoke I've been affected by, but other smoke I have similar reactions, too. VOC's mostly make me sick to my stomach and I can get headaches from them.

No, wood smoke contains "a complex mixture of gases and fine particles (also called particle pollution, particulate matter, or PM). These microscopic particles can get into your eyes and respiratory system, where they can cause health problems such as burning eyes, runny nose, and illnesses such as bronchitis. In addition to particle pollution, wood smoke contains several toxic harmful air pollutants including: benzene, formaldhyde, acrolein and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). https://www.epa.gov/burnwise/wood-smoke-and-your-health
There are approximately 600 ingredients in cigarettes. When burned, they create more than 7,000 chemicals. At least 69 of these chemicals are known to cause cancer, and many are poisonous. http://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/smoking-facts/whats-in-a-cigarette.html
--
Maggie

On Sun, 29 May 2016 12:20:02 -0500, Muggles

A distinction without a difference, particularly when you look at the scale. 40 pounds of wood vs a gram of tobacco. (something like 20,000 to one).

So, provide your evidence of what's contained in those 2.
--
Maggie

On Sun, 29 May 2016 14:57:08 -0500, Muggles

You cited 2 studies from different sources trying to prove different things and you are shocked they do not say exactly the same thing. Any when site with "stop smoking" in it's URL is going to be using skewed data to make it's point. We still have to talk about dosage and TLVs if we want to talk about inhalation hazards. Anything else is pure hyperbole.
On Sat, 28 May 2016 22:57:43 -0500, Muggles

But we are singling out one of those sources for arrest and prosecution while accepting all others. There are people who get sick looking at gay people but that does not mean it should be an illegal activity. This is just political correctness run amok. The anti smoking crowd is telling smokers they can't even have a bar dedicated to smokers, far from anyone who might be offended by it. They say they need "equal access" to that bar so they can be offended and close it down. Smokers seem to be the only group of people who have no rights in this country.
Explain why there can't be a "smoker bar" or restaurant. If you are offended or fear for your life, don't go near the place.
On Sun, 29 May 2016 03:23:22 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Employees.
On Sun, 29 May 2016 06:19:08 -0500, Vic Smith

We abolished slavery 151 years ago. If the employees don't want to work around smokers, they can seek employment elsewhere. We had 2 restaurants here, same franchise, less than a mile apart. The owner wanted to make one smoking and one non-smoking. The smoke ninnies were not happy with that and he ended up closing the smoking one. This was a BBQ joint that was full of hickory smoke all the time, selling high fat foods. (the last place I know of that still fries potatoes in animal fat) Health freaks would not go to either of them.