Where should smoking be illegal?

Page 8 of 16
On 28/05/2016 18:17, Mark Lloyd wrote:

anything that gives of harmful fumes and any other activity that people get enjoyment from. I've got it! let's all become Puritans and ban everything.
--
Bod

Let's ban "pure-fume" first.
On 28/05/2016 18:34, Reggie wrote:

and as for people who fart, they should be shot.
--
Bod

On 5/28/2016 1:36 PM, Bod wrote:

That's bit extreme, how about subjecting them to the same rules as smoking.
I know two guys at work that could do side work for execution in the gas chamber.
On 05/28/2016 12:36 PM, Bod wrote:
[snip]

But only with lead-free bullets :-)
On 28/05/2016 20:20, hah wrote:

--
Bod

On 05/28/2016 12:34 PM, Reggie wrote:
[snip]

Yes, and face powder. I've seen excesses that interfere with peoples' breathing too.
BTW, I don't REALLY want any of these things banned. Id rather people consider the affects of what they do.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 3:18:39 PM UTC-4, Mark Lloyd wrote:

smokers tradionally get mad and speak of their right to smoke...
they ignore all the bad effects. and everyone pays the costs of their medical care...my dad has recurrent bladder cancer, and nothing more can be done for it....
he quit smoking many years ago. but the smoking does dna damage. that only shows up years later
On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 3:32:11 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:

How about people that go skiing, and wind up dead or with serious injuries? How about the people who go mountain climbing and wind up dead or injured and rescue crews have to go risk their lives to save them? Hang gliding? Every summer people drown here at the local beaches, ban that? How about alcohol? How many does that kill a year, want to ban that too? Been there done that. Those people know the risks and still engage in those activities.
And paradoxically the libs that want to extinguish all smoking of tobacco are almost all in favor of making marijuana legal. Go figure.

Don't use the medical costs bullshit. If you don't like the costs, then privatise health care.
--
The dress doesn't make you look fat. It's that ice cream and chocolate you eat that makes you look fat.

On 28/05/2016 20:18, Mark Lloyd wrote:

--
Bod

On 5/28/2016 1:17 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Research is revealing that the refined carbohydrate and its resultant diseases (metabolic syndrome) is going to bankrupt healthcare in 20 years or so.
Type II diabetics and dementia patients are its most expensive victims.
On 05/28/2016 04:51 PM, Jesse wrote:

What does that have to do with smoking? It certainly doesn't DIRECTLY harm others, like smoking does.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

I smoke, you complain, that's one against one, ergo the law should take no action.

Since when was a 20 year old considered a child?

Personal costs are personal to the smoker and nothing to do with you.
By the way, I've smoked about 30 cigarettes in my ENTIRE LIFE. So don't say I'm being selfish.
--
Computers can never replace human stupidity.

bob haller wrote:

Oh, look...a thread for self-righteous prigs.
bob haller wrote:

Suppose no one in the US smoked or EVER smoked. Would they still die? Seems to me, smokers die faster and (perhaps) younger thereby reducing the financial cost. Got a light, bud?

I tend to agree. Smokers generally delay medical care until they are on their death bed and die quickly. It is nothing compared to the cost of the typical hypochondriacs who bleed medicare every day, linger into their 90s and use far more medical services. To be clear, I don't smoke but I am also not offended when people do and I know their smoke is not harming me. Simply smelling a whiff of smoke is harmless, it just offends a few people looking for a reason to be offended. There seems to be a pretty long list of things that offend these people. .

"Inhalation of cigarette puff has an immediate effect on respiration by increasing airway resistance and therefore reducing the amount of oxygen absorbed into the body.4 Smoking causes a chronic (or long term) swelling of mucous membranes, which also leads to increased airway resistance. It induces chronic irritation of the respiratory lining and wide variety of carcinogens in the cells lining the respiratory tract. These changes lead to cancer. 5 Smoking greatly affects the lungs from an annoying repeated cough to grave illnesses like chronic bronchitis, emphysema and bronchial carcinoma." http://www.bioline.org.br/request?jm07001
"*Even a whiff of tobacco smoke* can adversely affect the body, the report concludes.
"Inhaling even the smallest amount of tobacco smoke can also damage your DNA, which can lead to cancer."
*Even brief exposure to secondhand smoke can cause heart disease and can trigger heart attacks*."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/09/AR2010120905910.html
Maggie

On Sat, 28 May 2016 22:20:37 -0500, Muggles

If that is true, and it sounds like bullshit to me, what is the effect of the carbon monoxide from lawn mowers, smoke from BBQ grills and the pollution from wood burning stoves? Should we ban all of them too?

It's not good to inhale carbon monoxide, or breathe in smoke from any source. Our lungs weren't designed to inhale those things.
Wouldn't you agree we should use caution and good sense when it comes to exposing ourselves to such things?

--
Maggie