Where should smoking be illegal?

Page 6 of 16
On 6/5/2016 3:35 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

So, I presume you will teach them to run with scissors?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

No, but I won't insist they don't have access to scissors.
On Sunday, June 5, 2016 at 3:35:29 PM UTC-4, James Wilkinson wrote:

WRONG! I am old enough to remember mothers beating their children on streets, shopping malls etc. I was maybe 10 and asked my mom, why doesnt someone stop them?
my mom responded, the children are the property of their parents.........
fortunately thats all changed:)
treat kids like that today, and your kids will be taken from you, thats good because you will be in prison for child abuse..
smoking around kids need to be called what it is CHILD ABUSE!

And why do you believe you have the right to say what's right for SOMEONE ELSE'S child? Smacking doesn't harm, it instils DISCIPLINE, something nobody has any more. You may not think that, and that's up to you, you avoid smacking YOUR children, and leave others to decide what's best for THEIRS. You do not own every single child in the whole world.
On 6/5/2016 8:42 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Nope, Village Hillary! does. Or, so they say.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 06/05/2016 07:42 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
[snip]

[snip]
"Discipline" involves respect, NOT beating.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 07/06/2016 18:43, Mark Lloyd wrote:

also very polite. You can't force respect, that has to be earned.
--
Bod

Of course you can, you just chose to use a different method. I know plenty people who were brought up with smacking, and they turned out fine. I also know plenty people who always ignored respect etc, and would only have responded to smacks. Since they didn't get any, they turned into useless layabouts.

There are many forms of discipline, don't be a bigot and assume yours is the only way.
Funny how it used to be commonplace. I'd love to see you go back in time and tell everyone that everyone is wrong and you're right.

It used to be that most people smacked their kids. Now most people don't. This clearly shows it is an OPINION. An opinion should never ever EVER be a law.

Which hurts a child more? A quick smack? Or deprivation of TV for a week? It's the TV. It lasts a week not 10 seconds. So, would you ban deprivation of comforts? If your answer is no, you are an inconsistent idiot.
On 06/05/2016 07:59 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
[snip]

Another "one instance" fallacy. The cumulative effect of HUNDREDS of these is MUCH worse.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

And the cumulative effect of lots of other things is even more much worse.
Anyway, get things into perspective, it's a smack we're talking about, something which hurts slightly for a few seconds and leaves no bruise. You must be getting confused with punches to the face.
On 06/07/2016 01:32 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Do you fail to understand the meaning of "cumulative effect"? One smack isn't much, THOUSANDS are.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

How about 3 or 4? Or 5-7 over a childhood? I found that was enough to make my kids well-behaved. They never had tantrums in stores or restaurants. Well, not more than one or two.

Cumulative effect only applies to things that last, like arsenic poisoning. If you were smacked yesterday, it has no effect today.
--
Space is an illusion, disk space doubly so.

On 6/7/2016 3:41 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Sure it does. If I got smacked yesterday for being a smart ass to my mother, it has the effect today to make me not do it again. I was a fast learner.
A well timed and well placed whack on the ass can prevent ever having to do it again if the kid is a smart learner. OTOH, beating is never justified.

Exactly. Smacking is simple and works.

Smacking isn't beating.
--
The dot over the letter i is called a tittle.

On 6/5/2016 3:00 PM, Sam E wrote:

Well, using the "their own children" thing, then I guess child sex is OK, as long as it's the parent who is doing it? How about street drugs like heroin? Or driving with no car seat or seat belts?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

What gives you the right to say they must keep their kids as safe as you would?