Where should smoking be illegal?

I don't have the problem. I never thought I "needed" a smoke and I can have a cigar or pass. I am always around cigarettes and I pretty much never participate. If I do, I rip the filter off and smoke it backward to make it as nasty as possible, I don't finish it and I am done for another 5 years or so. You do get a little buzz from tobacco but only the first puff. After that you won't get anything more unless you lay off a year or so.

--
Bod

On 05/30/2016 09:26 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[snip]

I always wonder what's so attractive about smoking. Like to have something in your mouth? I'm sure you could find something better than THAT.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 30/05/2016 19:32, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Don't be filthy! ;-)
--
Bod

On 05/30/2016 02:01 PM, Bod wrote:

Sorry, I didn't mean to use those brown bytes.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Nicotine.
It makes people feel better.
--
Pete Cresswell

That is evidenced by the number of people who chew the gum. I would not be surprised if there were nicotine gum junkies who never smoked.

Yes, the gum. You can get nicotine gum. There's also nicotine patches and e-cigarettes. If you want nicotine there's better ways to get it than those stinking "cancer sticks".
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 05/30/2016 04:03 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

How much of that is really making you feel better, and how much is treating withdrawal symptoms?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

My guess? A mix of the two.... But I once knew an extremely high-powered programmer from IBM who maintained that without the help of nicotine and caffeine he never could have produced what he did.
--
Pete Cresswell

The topic is smoking, so the OP singled out smoking as the topic.

No, I disagree. It's a fact that secondhand smoke has caused health problems for people for a long time. We're finally getting around to logically responding to that issue.

Smoking isn't a right - it's a want, a bad habit.

It seems restaurant owners don't want to cater to just smokers because that eliminates a growing population of people who would not ever become patrons of that business because of the health hazards there.
--
Maggie

On Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 11:08:45 AM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:

Wrong again. The bar and restaurant owners had no choice in the matter. The libs shoved it down their throats with BANS. That's how the vast majority of bars became smoke free. Why can't we be left free to choose?
On 5/29/2016 10:54 AM, trader_4 wrote:

You're free to smoke in your own environment where your secondhand smoke can't harm other people.
--
Maggie

Muggles wrote:

So is drinking. So is biting ones fingernails. So are a host of other things.
Believe it or not, there are a bunch of people that just don't want the government, you or anyone else what they can and cannot do.

That's fine...if the owner wants to run a smoke free place, he should be - and is - free to do so. However, when they pass laws FORCING him to do so, they have stepped over the line.
On 29/05/2016 17:25, dadiOH wrote:

Exactly!
--
Bod

On 5/29/2016 11:25 AM, dadiOH wrote:

When someone elses right or freedom harms me or someone else, that right becomes limited. That's a logical response.

The problem with smoking areas in public places is the smoke doesn't STAY in the smoking areas.
--
Maggie

On Sun, 29 May 2016 11:31:13 -0500, Muggles

We are questioning whether you are actually harmed or simple offended.

OK fine but why can't I have a smoking restaurant that you do not need to go into? I have heard tea totallers say the smell of alcohol offends them too (even to the point of sickness) but we just tell them to stay out of bars.

It's a fact secondhand smoke harms people, and I'm one of them.
OTOH, it would be offensive if someone knew I got sick from secondhand smoke and deliberately lit up and blew smoke in my face.
There's a difference.

Right now there are places like that. I don't know for how long they'll exist, though.

--
Maggie

On 29/05/2016 20:50, Muggles wrote:

That's the whole point. If you don't like something, then avoid it, simple, everyone's happy.
--
Bod

On 5/30/2016 1:23 AM, Bod wrote:

Do you think it's right to discriminate against non-smokers?
--
Maggie