Where should smoking be illegal?

Page 1 of 16
A great start would be anywhere anyone complains about it
so all public places, townhouses, detached homes if the stench is detectable off site like a neighbors yard. smoking should be illegal around any child anyone under 21
we asa nation really need to extqunish smoking completely.
the fiancial and personal costs, are just way too high
On 05/28/2016 11:31 AM, bob haller wrote:

On private property, if the owner or someone who lives there objects to it (assume that defendant children object, like with rape).

Yes.

I remember something about how someone who smoked for 40 years has spent enough money to buy a house (and the house isn't putting poison in your lungs).
A couple of years ago, we had an election here about allowing sales of beer and wine. I'd much rather have cigarette sales illegal.
Of course, alcohol isn't completely harmless, but at least you don't have alcohol fumes coming out of the user and infecting others.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

what the hell business is that of yours?
On 28/05/2016 18:20, Reggie wrote:

--
Bod

On 05/28/2016 12:28 PM, Bod wrote:
[snip]

Of course, freedom IS limited when actions can harm others. Your freedom of smoking conflicts with others freedom of breathing. If that wasn't so, I'd have nothing against smoking (at least nothing other than unwanted fires).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 3:13:14 PM UTC-4, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Except of course that this was posted:

Add your reply was:

My smoking in my house, does not harm you and it's none of your business. It's not up to you or big govt to force us to comply just because you think it's bad for us. And the same libs who are out to shut down all smoking are out to tell you how much fat you can eat, how much salt you can have, what size soda you can buy.
trader_4 wrote:

+1
On 29/05/2016 00:39, dadiOH wrote:

--
Bod

If I'm smoking in the street and you don't want to breathe it in, don't stand next to me. Does not smoking make you a stupid fuckwit who can't think for himself?
-- While most Americans believe that getting rid of religion is an impossible goal, much of the developed world has already accomplished it. Any account of a ”god gene“ that causes the majority of Americans to helplessly organize their lives around ancient works of religious fiction must explain why so many inhabitants of other First World societies apparently lack such a gene. The level of atheism throughout the rest of the developed world refutes any argument that religion is somehow a moral necessity. Countries like Norway, Iceland, Australia, Canada, Sweden, Switzerland, Belgium, Japan, the Netherlands, Denmark and the United Kingdom are among the least religious societies on Earth. According to the United Nations’ Human Development Report (2005) they are also the healthiest, as indicated by measures of life expectancy, adult literacy, per capita income, educational attainment, gender equality, homicide rate and infant mortality. Conversely, the 50 nations now ranked lowest in terms of human development are unwaveringly religious. --Sam Harris (An Atheist Manifesto)
On 05/28/2016 04:01 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Then you won't mind if I take a piss on your leg. If you don't like it you can move, right?
On 05/28/2016 05:33 PM, Bob Beermeister wrote:

The right to piss always beats the right to be in the street :-)
--
"Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important
to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant

Dog owners seem to think it's ok for their dog to piss into someone's garden hedge.
--
"Have you been hunting bear lately?"
"No, the grass tickles."

Some would strongly disagree with that. There are people who get significant headaches from just a single inhalation.
That being said, I would agree with those who think we have gone overboard on restricting smokers.
A major financial company I have done work for put out a broadcast email to all employees and contractors - telling them that it was *not* OK to stand outside of a building and smoke... and, instead, they could only smoke in designated, out-of-sight areas behind buildings.
Reading between the lines, I came away with "We are a respected financial institution and people are trusting us to handle their money - and we do not want anybody to think than any of us are foolish enough to have become addicted to nicotine."
I thought that was a little over-the-top.... and I'll go along with "If I don't like it, I can always move."..... but in situations where people do not have the option of moving...
When I'm in an elevator and some addict that has just stubbed out their cigarette gets in and exhales, all I can think is "If you had farted, you'd be embarrassed....".
--
Pete Cresswell

There's always one..... but most people don't have a problem. These freaks must have problems near any kind of smoke presumably, bonfires etc? Why should the rest of the world take care of these people?

Unless he's continuing to smoke the cigarette, I don't see the problem. If he does, you can ask him to put it out or simply leave the elevator at the next floor. Please people, think for yourselves to overcome a situation, instead of trying to find blame somewhere. Has everyone become a lawyer or something?
--
There was an old man from Limerick,
Who was completely unaware of the short often humorous poems that shared the same name as his hometown.

If you smoke, you would not see the problem. When I smoked, I could not understand why a woman I knew always complained about the smell of her clothes and hair when she came home from work as a barmaid....my olfactory senses had adapted to it and I did not notice it.
The problem is that he *stinks*, his breath stinks, his clothes stink, and when he exhales that last lung full of smoke into the elevator *it* stinks....
--
Pete Cresswell

I'm not a smoker. But I like the smell of it and will take a cigarette if offered one. But I don't see the point in smoking (tobacco) regularly as it has no effect on me whatsoever.
--
My wife sat down on the couch next to me as I was changing channels. She asked, what's on TV?
I said, Dust.
On 5/29/2016 2:55 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I think it's more along the lines of 'we want our customers to have a healthy experience entering into our place of business. We put smokers in the back of the building because it's out of site, our customers aren't exposed to the smoke, and some of our employees are simply addicted to the nicotine'.
The problem with smoking on the job is that smokers take multiple "smoke breaks" during the day above and beyond regular company provided break times. It's a waste of company time.

--
Maggie

What about customers who smoke?

You must have funny companies. Wherever I've worked, people always smoke in normal breaks, or at their desk.
--
A. Top posters.
Q. What's the most annoying thing on newsgroups?

That is simply a result of the silly smoking policy. It is also far from the most disruptive thing at work. People screwing with their phones all day is a much larger waste of company time.

ever had anybody shove an iPhone up your nose?