Where is my problem with this flourescent lamp?

Page 4 of 4

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

No problem, I like being corrected so I can learn. Heck, I have no fear of terrorists because as a small boy, I had Irish nuns for teachers. They used tactile and extreme audio correction. I still have knots on my head dating from the middle of the last century.
TDD

No, do not use an NE-2. Use the bulb that can be gutted from an FS-2 starter.
A starter bulb has a bimetal strip that bends from the heat of the glow discharge in it, and temporarily shorts. This is explained in Sam Goldwasser's Fluorescent Lamp/Fixture FAQ. I have a copy (possibly older but definitely relevant) at:
http://members.misty.com/don/f-lamp.html
Official copies are available somewhere in www.repairfaq.org and http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu . Look, I found one:
http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_flamp.html
Do a text search in one of these for "Fluorescent Starter Operation".
The NE-2 is a neon lamp that is intended only to take current amounting to less than 1 milliamp. If it is substituted for a starter in an 18 watt 120V fluorescent fixture, it will conduct somewhere in the ballpark of 300 milliamps. It is unlikely to get the fluorescent lamp started, and will definitely suffer serious damage within seconds. It could even break in as little as 10's of seconds.