Where get cheapest methylated spirits?

Page 2 of 3

I bought a couple of half litre bottles a couple of weeks ago (use it in Trangia Stoves). Went first to Boots, they had none in stock. The independent chemist opposite had it at 1.25 a bottle.
Ash

I use soap.
Mary
Anyone know a stockist that keeps it in the fridge as it isn't the same at room temperature
LOL !!!
Dale

Chris Green

Well it's cheaper and safer than meths and very good at cleaning - that's what it's designed for :-)
Mary

alcohol is by far the best cleaning agent. I made what I thought was a reasonable assumption that the OP had a specific cleaning requirement that needed alcohol and that he wasn't just washing his hands with it.
--
Chris Green

Soap is a wetting agent and is not a good cleaner and it doesn't kill germs either. That is why soap powders have been replaced by detergents as they are far better at cleaning.
Meths isn't very good at cleaning either, it is a solvent and you have to keep diluting and then removing the solution. There are better degreasers (for example) but they are a bit more dangerous in the wrong hands.
Meths is still useful as antifreeze in the windscreen washers but it can attack the wiper rubbers.

The useful thing about alcohol-based solvents is that they are miscible with both water and organic compounds.
--
Steve Walker

geoff

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 21:10:57 GMT, raden wrote:

Glycol in the cooling system. Methanol in the washers.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 21:37:32 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"

That is what monkeys are after when you see them sucking on the washer nozzles in safari parks. The drivers usualy oblige with a squirt.

Theres a guy here in Oxford who sells The Big Issue and who has a dog on a string and a hole in his trousers who always seems to have a lot of it available...............
Clive
Oxford UK

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 01:23:27 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

What ever, it isn't glycol which is the point. I'm not going out to the garage to look at my container to see what particular alcohol it has in it...
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Dave Liquorice wrote:

one of the nicest cleaners aroudn - very unaggressive -for cleaning PC keytboards and screens etc.

I have just bought the very same from a fibreglass vendor, CFS. Telephone 01209 821028. I have purchased polyester resin too and I have never used such high quality resin. It flows and wets incredibly well, dries in a sensible time and isn't sticky when cured. The service and prices are also excellent in my opinion.
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I thought you used Ether for refining cocaine.
--
Change nospam to webtribe in e-mail address

Another Dave wrote:

Most French supermarkets have it in one litre bottles.
Worth posting this question on this site as they are all wood workers.
http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk /