Where do you buy your tools?

I was wondering where you buy your tools online? and what it is you look for in an online tool distributor?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Amazon.com
Price.
..

www.coastaltool.com good prices, good service
www.leevalley.com Best guarantee, fair prices, items not easily found.
Rich wrote:

Sears is a good tool supply.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

I rarely buy tools online. I like to handle a tool first. I may look online, read online, but when it comes to buying, I like to buy at a store. Unless, in rare cases I can get the best price online.
Except for things I buy at yard sales. And pawn shops. I couldn't afford the things I have if I had paid full price for them. And good tools last a long time, so yard sales stuff is okay. Did buy a Graco XR7 on ebay, and love it.
Bought a Husky chainsaw new online for cheaper than I could find it anywhere.
There are so many different tools, and so many sources, there is no best one. And it depends on the work you do. Different crafts require different equipment. Some can be had online at the best combination. Others from local dealers. And lots of stuff from here and there on sale, or used.
Steve
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Larry Flynt's Hustler store.
Price, quality, durability, and long battery life.
On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 19:45:27 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Several places. Most online purchases I made through Amazon and I never had a problem (although I have heard other people had issues). I use a Discover credit card because it has the best security, plus it offers free one-time use numbers for Internet purchases. For lesser-known companies, research before you buy.

harbor freight have decent tools at cheap prices, definetely not contractor quality but fine for occasional use

it depends on what sort of tools. much of their stuff is junk. I do have quite a bit of HF stuff,too.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Since you asked I guess it's ok to plug my site. Go to Beach Trading Company www.beachtradingco.com. I have a big selection and deeply discounted prices. Oh and did I mention the great customer service? ;-)

Since you asked I guess it's ok to plug my site. Go to Beach Trading Company www.beachtradingco.com. I have a big selection and deeply discounted prices. Oh and did I mention the great customer service? ;-)
Deeply discounted prices? How do you make any money. You must have bought it very cheap to start with. But then, all that Chinese crap is pretty cheap. And worthless.
As I said, I like to see and hold a tool I'm going to buy.
Great customer service? Does that mean you will continue to send replacements until the customer gets one that works?
Cheaptoolsonline.com ............. what's wrong with this picture?
Steve

Maybe you should have a look at whats on my site before you making statements like that. I sell professional grade tools many with lifetime guarantees. As for how much I pay for the tools I'll tell you that I'm just not marking the tools up as much as other suppliers.

I think you should hold onto your tool and have a happy life.

Yup. If you get a tool from me that doesn't work I'll happily make arrangements to replace it. But that rarely happens.
RichB www.beachtradingco.com

Maybe you should have a look at whats on my site before you making statements like that. I sell professional grade tools many with lifetime guarantees. As for how much I pay for the tools I'll tell you that I'm just not marking the tools up as much as other suppliers.

I think you should hold onto your tool and have a happy life.

Yup. If you get a tool from me that doesn't work I'll happily make arrangements to replace it. But that rarely happens.
RichB www.beachCHINESECRAPtradingco.com
And life and business is so good, you're spamming newsgroups, posting your URL link every time you can?
Steve
Beach Trading Company wrote:

(snip the spam)
A spammer of sorts but you did stick around to defend yourself. Thats one for you.
Thick skin? You asked for it.
You claim good prices and service but your site sucks. Difficult to find anything in particular. Not what anyone would call user friendly. I buy on line, but I wouldn't buy from your site.
Unprofessional, amateur, no confidence in your business at all.
I suspect you will attract the bottom feeders, the ones that buy for the absolute lowest price, then howl to everyone that they've been ripped off when the slightest thing goes wrong. The real on line places would love you to take over that bunch.
Good luck with your enterprise. You have a long way to go but who knows. Check out a site like Lee Vally. Come back here when you think you're in their league.
I look forward to doing business with you some day.
LdB

What a dick. Someone answers a question and he gets slammed. Be glad we live in a country where someone can start their own business.
On Feb 7, 10:45pm, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

I've been buying a lot of stuff from McMaster-Carr lately, mostly hardware and drill bits though not actual tools.
Amazon seems to have a decent selection of tools, and occasionally excellent prices - got a 3/8" DeWalt drill from them for about $30, and I use the crap out of it - when you don't need the Big Gun it's awful handy (hanging curtain rods, boring holes for Romex, etc.)
I just bought my Sawzall at Lowe's because I needed it quick, although I'm sure I paid more than I had to for it.
Most of my tools to tell the truth were either inherited, scavenged from a junk pile, or bought cheap and used at yard sales. There's no way I could have afforded to pay anything close to retail for all the stuff I have.
nate
nate
On Feb 7, 10:45 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

I like to see and handle my tools bvefore buying, there is a lot of cheap junk on the market.
The nice thig about hand tools is that they last a long time so you can pick up some pretty good stuff used.
I check out Craiglist, Grarage Sales, Classifieds, Flea Market, Antique supplies
On Feb 7, 10:45pm, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

I sometimes use www.pricegrabber.com to compare prices. It doesn't always find every site selling a given tool, but it's a decent way to see if the price you have found elsewhere is reasonable. In many instances it finds prices that are the best at sites you might not have found elsewhere. Just make sure you include shippings costs and taxes since these can vary greatly - make sure you are comparing total cost, not just the cost of the tool.
I recently found a DC011R (Dewalt radio/battery charger) via pricegrabber that was cheaper to buy directly than people were bidding at eBay. A few winning bids were lower, but the shipping made the final price higher. There were 3 auctions going on at the time that I was purchasing and it was kind of fun to watch people bidding higher and higher when they could have just bought the unit directly for less money.