Where can someone buy a Geiger Counter?

(off topic) With the nuclear radiation from Japan spreading all over the planet, I'd like to buy a geiger counter to watch the levels, and if they get high, be able to take cover with my family in our fallout shelter. Where can someone buy a Geiger Counter?
One other thing, I am looking for a method to filter the air vents to our underground fallout shelter to filter nuclear radiation. Presently the vent pipes just have a mesh filter similar to a furnace filter. I dont think this is sufficient for nuclear radiation. What do I need for this? (The air vents are just standard sheet metal furnace ducts which go to the outside and have a rain bonnet over them. There is a 12V electric fan on the intake, connected to a car battery and with a 120vac battery charger. There is also with a hand crank in case of complete power outage. (I just ordered some solar cells to bring in power to charge the battery).
Add pictures here
✖
Thats a storm celler ,your gunna die down there when a tree falls on that cheeeeep assed vent!!!!!!!!!
Jr
✖
Jerry - OHIO wrote the following:

Make sure the foil used is Reynolds Wrap's Non-Stick foil, and put the non-stick out so the radiation slides off it.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Mar 23, 4:40 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Jerry - OHIO) wrote:

I don't see the application mentioned.
I found two major sources of radioactive components in home. Old clock, and a Pentax lens.
You can sort of filter radiation. Carbon filters and electrostatic filters, but they don't reduce room radiation significantly. I have high radon in winter months and low in summer. You can.'t measure radon with a regular counter, but you can measure the filter accumulation.
Counters, try ghost hunting equipment.
Greg
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@aol-dotcom.com wrote in

DAGS. (do a Google search)
Ebay,Amazon,there's lots of places.

you don't filter radiation(you can't,actually;you block it with several feet of earth,lead,concrete),you filter radioactive particles. maybe a HEPA filter. maybe two or more stages of filtering.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

This is much cheaper than a Geiger counter. And, would serve you better. http://tinyurl.com/8thbh
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 00:27:18 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@aol-dotcom.com wrote:

I don't like to buy important things by mail. So for this sort of thing, I usually go to Geigers 'R' Us. It's only a little more expensive.

Add pictures here
✖
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Where-can-someone-buy-a-Geiger-Counter-626782-.htm john36 wrote: Dear José, i felt the same threat was upon my family too. I looked the internet for suppliers but they all replied : "out of stock for for at least 2 more months" Even the official website is sold out.
Anyway i was able to buy two in mint condition from this website. www.geigercounterkit.net
Hope it helps.
Best J.
snipped-for-privacy@aol-dotcom.com wrote:

-------------------------------------
Add pictures here
✖
john36 wrote:

http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Where-can-someone-buy-a-Geiger-Counter-626782-.htm

You can't filter nuclear radiation with an air filter. You filter the particles that are radiating. HEPA filter should be as good as you can get. Remember, that the filter will be radioactive, so you need some shielding between you and it. And what are you doing about all the radioactive dust that you're dragging into the shelter on your clothing?
For the likely radiation levels outside the evacuation zone, I'd go for a gas mask filter and start wearing it 24/7 now.
Suppose a Geiger Counter could be useful, but if you live anywhere near a populated area, it's gonna be all over the media.
IN a year of so, you'll be able to pick up a Geiger Counter at a yard sale for nearly free.
The most important thing you need for a shelter is a very good lock on the door. Bomb proof doesn't have anything to do with the "big one"...it has to resist the IED that your neighbors are gonna use to get your food. Then you need land mines around your solar cells. Otherwise, neither will last very long when the roving marauders come to call.
I think we'll all be fine...OR...we're screwed. Don't see much middle ground where one family can rise above the rest.
Add pictures here
✖