Where can I get boot leather for my wife's boot heel?

Page 2 of 3
On 7/8/2015 6:44 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I bought some shoe goo to fix my favorite shoes where they were separating from the soles. Worked like a charm, and I got about another years worth of wear out of them.
--
Maggie

On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 13:19:50 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I often shoo goo the rubber soles of work or hiking boots back, and that works great.
On 7/9/2015 2:29 AM, Karlheinz Fenstermacher wrote:

I was surprised at how well the product worked. The leather tops of the shoes I used it on wore out before the shoe goo.
--
Maggie

On 7/8/2015 1:48 AM, micky wrote:

Wonder if Liquid Nails project adhesive would do?
I think gorilla glue dries too hard, sneakers need to be flexible.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

The only glue that is flexible enough is contact cement. I first used it to glue a patch on a down sleeping bag that was leaking down. But then I realized it was a mummy bag and I can't use one of those anyhow.. Claustrophobia.
My friend's favorite tape is gorilla tape.
On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 07:46:47 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Shoe goo works fine on sneakers, in my experience.
On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 01:48:28 -0400, micky wrote:

I once "fixed" an alternator by re-winding the coils.
That's one job I'll never do again, but, how many of you can say you've done it?
On Thu, 9 Jul 2015 07:18:14 +0000 (UTC), Karlheinz Fenstermacher

Not me, but I fixed an Erector Set motor by rewinding its coil. A friend gave it to me, not working. Of course, i had no money to buy new wire, so when I unwound it, and it broke into four pieces for every loop, it scraped the enamel off every end and twisted it together and wound it all back up. I think the mistake I made was wrapping that in electric tape, the black cloth electricians tape, instead of in plain cloth. I turned on motor and it worked, but after a while it started smoking. The adhesive I think. If I'd used plain cloth it might have worked well.

On Thu, 9 Jul 2015 04:19:14 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster

I didn't talk to him about it but I found in my older brother's closet a motor that he made. But it wasn't from much of a kit. Only the wire would have been included, if that is still a kit.
He used 4 big nails, two pairs maybe 1/2 inch apart with wires between each pair of them, to hold the armature, and the armature itself might have been a big nail. Galvanized with a head, iirc.
I don't remember what he used for brushes.
I can't remember much more than that. I don't even know if it ran on 110 or a battery. At age 10 or younger I would have been afraid to plug it into the wall (and it had no plug anyhow) and batteries were not something lying around. We had probably one flashlight with two batteries and that's all we had. So I never tried to run it, but I think it worked.

That was a pretty common school project when I went to school in NYC. (1950s.)
--
Dan Espen

On 07/09/2015 06:02 PM, micky wrote:

http://bizarrelabs.com/motor2.htm
It was a Cub Scout project back when kids did something other than whine for new Xbox games.
On 07/09/2015 01:18 AM, Karlheinz Fenstermacher wrote:

Not an alternator but small DC motors. Back in the '60s before some manufacturers got into the game that was how you got your slot car cooking.
On 7/8/2015 12:16 AM, HerHusband wrote:

Know what you mean about the cobbler costing more than the replacement shoes. Well, some times shoes are comfortable, and hard to find good replacement.
The one time I took item to cobbler was a tool pouch that the threads came loose. He did a great job, and the tool pouch is still in use. Well worth the money.
I used to do tire mounting and balancing, but now take em to a shop.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

My wife has tiny feet and wears a size 5-1/2 shoe. Most stores only stock size 6 and above. When she can find a shoe she likes, it makes sense to repair them for simple things like a worn out heel.
She tends to buy cheap shoes, so the repairs usually cost more than she paid for the shoes. The cobbler tends to use better materials than the original shoe had.

I thought about doing it myself, but it just didn't make sense to buy the equipment for something I do so rarely. Not to mention the space it would take to store the tools in my garage.
Sometimes I just have to overcome my DIY tendencies and pay someone else to do things. :)
Now that I'm getting older, I am finding it harder/less enjoyable to do some simple tasks like changing the oil in my car. I still do it, but I can forsee a day when I start taking it to a shop. I already had my daughter start taking hers to the shop so I didn't have to do it. :)
On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 15:21:38 +0000, HerHusband wrote:

The day you start taking an oil change to a shop is the day you probably should leave this group. :)
You don't know what they do with the car. Just watch them some day, and you'll never want YOUR car in their shop, ever.
On Thu, 9 Jul 2015 07:34:33 +0000 (UTC), Karlheinz Fenstermacher

My friend of 20 years, a girlfriend for a while 20 years ago, each time I mention getting a ladder to clean my 2nd story gutters, tells me I should pay someone. That's the only thing that makes her say that.
She read about or new someone in town who fell off the ladder and hurt hismef bad.
Should I listen to her.

On 7/9/2015 2:54 AM, micky wrote:

She could hold the ladder for you. OTOH, I guess it depends on whether or not you're good balancing on a ladder. I don't have the balance to climb too high on one myself.
--
Maggie

On 07/09/2015 01:34 AM, Karlheinz Fenstermacher wrote:

I prefer being able to remove the filter without dynamite so I do the changes myself. In fact I can't remember the last time I took a vehicle to a shop for anything other than an alignment. Well, I did have one car towed to an autobody shop so they could pronounce it dead.

I hear ya, when that day comes it will be hard to accept.
When I was a teenager I used to change my oil frequently. Any excuse to work under the hood was fine with me.
Now that I'm over 50 (and out of shape) it physically hurts to climb under the car to change the oil. Sometimes I get on the ground and have difficulty getting back out from under the car. Not to mention my vision isn't what it used to be.
I'm still at that "work through the pain" stage of life... :)

My daughter took her car to the local Oil Can Henry's. She said they have cameras and monitors set up so she could watch everything going on. She seemed happy with the service. The only downside is they tend to talk her into repairs she doesn't really need (i.e. changing the air filter I replaced a month earlier).
On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 07:42:51 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I had bought a pair of Bostonians from Nordstroms, and then within a year or so the cushion under the pad below your feet but above the sole "sawed" its way through the front of the shoe.
So, I took the shoes to a cobbler and was shocked when the bill came in for the repair and swore I'd never go to a cobbler again. Just wasn't worth it for a $200 shoe.
Then, I bought a new pair at Nordstroms. Same thing happened.
I went back, about a year later, to buy a new pair and when I mentioned that I did NOT want Bostonians, the floor salesperson said they would have replaced them for free.