Where can I get an old style non CARB 5-gal gasoline can?

Page 2 of 3

Brent wrote:

Some cut.
We used the old five gallon oil cans out on the farm. Some still available on Ebay.
Dean Hoffman wrote: ...

Was going to say/suggest same thing. Fortunately, still have a sizable collection that will outlast me...
Where to look would be highly dependent on where OP is located, I'd think. Major city/urban area would be tougher I'd think than rural given few city-folk deal in bulk oil products.
dpb wrote:

Speaking of which, I've not tried it as the form factor isn't quite as convenient but the current 5-gal plastic pails w/ the pour spout used for motor/hydraulic/etc. oil would certainly hold gasoline as well. Most of those the spouts pour reasonably well if not perfectly. Those should be relatively easy to find one of -- if nothing else by 5-gal of whatever motor oil one uses and transfer it to something else... :)
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 12:52:10 -0500, dpb wrote:

This might be a good idea, if I understand you correctly.
I buy a oil-changing can with a pour spout, and then I fill the abominable CARB gas can with gas.
When I need to pour out the five gallons, I remove the abominable CARB spout, and just pour the 5 gallons of gasoline into the clean oil-changing tub.
Then, I can pour from the oil-changing tub into the on-road vehicle or wherever I need it at that moment without having to deal with the abominable CARB spout.
Is that what you were suggesting? ('cuz it's a great idea!).
Brent wrote:

Well, I was suggesting using the 5-gal oil can just like one would use an old-style metal or plastic can w/o the intermediate step. W/ a wide spout, it'll probably pour well enough; if not, the funnel that (I think it was OP) would certainly be enough.
Being on farm w/ fairly sizable acreage around the house, besides the actual farm equipment (and since some of the tractors/combines/etc have as large as 250 gal tanks on them) I don't have much of anything that is very small to deal with. :)
I do have a pair of 2-1/2 gal plastic containers (probably anyway 30 yr old :) ) w/ a 8" or so spout. One holds the 2-cycle mix for trimmer and chainsaw, etc., and the other is convenient for the small lawn tractor/trim mower/hand tiller/etc. Other than that, everything is filled from a bulk tank for either gas or diesel. I have 100 gal diesel and 40 gal gasoline transfer tanks w/ transfer pumps permanently in the 4x4 for field refueling and I refill a couple of the 5-gal old metal cans and leave them in the shop to refill the smaller ones from from it. Equit comes and fills the bulk tanks at beck and call and if the 4x4 is sitting there when they come, they fill it, too. Unfortunately, they have always sent the invoices at the end of the month. :(
So, sorta', but not quite I think... :)
dpb wrote: ...

Which seems large except consumption at load is 12-15 gal/hr so during peak harvest it may mean refilling that puppy almost completely daily... :(
Of course to compensate, cover a lot of acres in a day as compared to years ago w/ a little 14- or 18-ft header at half the ground speed as well.
On 6/12/2010 2:17 AM, Brent wrote:

Places that require Algore cans:
CARB Compliant, Can Be Sold In CA, CT, DC, DE, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TX & 5 Northern Counties Of VA

Brent wrote the following:

You can blame the People's Republik of Kalifornia for that. CARB = California Air Resources Board.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Brent wrote:

Some cut. Have you tried a search for "safety can"? One of those might suit your needs. Spendy, though.
On 6/12/2010 1:17 AM, Brent wrote:

I remember when toilets would flush and shower heads would flow before some government agency got hold of them.
TDD

There was a spell when they did not work well at all, but engineering has overcome those problems. There are plenty of 1.6 gallon toilets that work perfectly. I like my low flow shower too, but many do suck.
On 6/13/2010 12:32 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

We have one of the flush and pray models. My friend has one of the pressure tank models that will geld you if you flush it while you sit on it. When I travel, I carry my own shower head and tools to change them out at hotel/motels.
TDD
My old style shower head blows, not sucks. Since low flows suck, do they suck the shampoo out of your hair, and then there is shampoo in the domestic water line?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Ours still do, we have the good old-fashioned kind. For that matter I have a basement full of incandescent light bulbs socked away and will continue to use them after the "ban" on their sale goes into effect.
I refuse to let the federal scumbags dictate to me what kind of toilet I use, what kind of shower I wash with, or what kind of light bulbs are installed in my house. Screw 'em.
--
Roger Blake
(Change "invalid" to "com" for email. Google Groups killfiled due to spam.)
On 6/13/2010 1:32 PM, Roger Blake wrote:

What? The light bulbs or government minions? *snicker*
TDD

I would like to point out that the best-flushing toilets I ever saw are 1.6 gallon ones. There are some good ones out there.
As opposed to earlier 1.6 gallon/flush toilets so lousy as to possibly support an argument that these 1.6 gallon toilets were made in an attempt to sabotage government regulations on toilets.
Meanwhile, I am aware of lightbulb applications where CFLs are not suitable. Thankfully, the upcoming incandescent ban has a set of loopholes wide enough to reroute the Mississippi River through. Sadly, this even permits selling incandescents that can be used where "standard" ones are, but have even lower energy efficiecy than "standard" ones have. (Such as "traffic signal" and "rough service" / vibration service".)
http://members.misty.com/don/incban.html

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 06:17:36 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:

My husband Bill does this whenever he's forced to buy the EPA-mandated gas can
1. He cuts off the child-proof small tab that makes removing the cap to refill so difficult. Unscrewing the cap still takes FORCE so no "child" is going to be able to remove it anyway (did the EPA ever raise kids? That tab is overkill!). A gas cap is screwed on so tightly I have trouble removing it. I can't imagine a "child" removing it. Any child that has that kind of strength also can defeat the child-proof tab!
2. He pops out the plastic-spring-loaded switch that prevents you from pressing down twice. Now you can pour gas, let up on the handle to let it settle, press down again to pour. With that lock-tab in place, you have to spill the gas before you can see where the gas level is in the tank you're filling or you have to put the can down, switch hands, re-press that switch, and pour anew.
He hasn't drilled a vent hole yet, which would be the next step. I would worry about multiple use with just a wood screw as some have mentioned.
What kind of vent can be drilled that will keep gas in but will be able to be used many times without stripping?
And, what was wrong with the old vent & easy pour mechanism anyway?
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 16:06:39 +0000 (UTC), "D. Ohl"

My gas can has a vent in the nozzle. When the nozzle get submerged it stops, sorta. I've found that if I stick the nozzle an inch-and-a-half down in the tank it cuts off pretty close to full. Other than the silly plastic child-proof tab it has no other safety features on it. The thing I *don't* like is that there is no good way to seal the can, other than putting the plastic disc between the nozzle and the can, which means disassembling the thing twice for each use.
snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: (snip)

I HATE my 5-gallon can. Even if I only put 4 gallons in it (now my standard practice), the angles of the nozzle make it impossible to get it down in the fill hole on my mower without a stream going across the top of the mower first. These idiots need to look at some old cans, or even a long-neck watering can, for some ideas on how to make a can you can actually pour from. Even a little turn-down at the end of the nozzle would help. Wonder if anybody makes a angled filler neck/funnel that screws on to a lawnmower gas tank, and has a bigger larger lid, so you could just leave it in place all the time? My can would work fine for refueling a pickup truck.
-- aem sends...