Where can I get an old style non CARB 5-gal gasoline can?

Page 1 of 3

Where can I get an old style non CARB compliant 5-gal gasoline can?
I pine for the days when 5-gallong gas jugs had a pour spout and a vent. All the gasoline cans I can find in the stores are something called "CARB compliant". They are miserable abominations.
I've never spilled so much gasoline in my life!
One model has an on/off lever, but you have to use two hands at all times, one to hold the can, the other to keep pressed down on the lever, and the third hand to hold the funnel. The moment you let up on the lever, the handle locks shut, necessitating a manual reset.
The other type has only a push-to-open tab which you supposedly press against the lip of the tool you're filling. Forget using funnels with this method. And, since the spout fills the opening of the tool you're filling, you can't see when it's full until you spill it all over the outside of the tool.
There must be somewhere I can get the old-style gas cans. What is the reason for these CARB abominations anyway?
Any idea where to get the old style 5-gallon gas cans?
I use my old fuel jugs:
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p4712.m570.l1312&_nkw=fuel+jug&_sacat=See-All-Categories
On 06/12/2010 06:37 AM, willy wrote:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p4712.m570.l1312&_nkw=fuel+jug&_sacat=See-All-Categories
or search eBay for "Jerry Can" - just be aware that there are several different kinds and the nozzles are not interchangeable between them.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Wow! A 5-gal gas jug for $38. <http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-Gal-Plastic-Utility-Fuel-Gas-Can-Jug-Jugs-RED-w-Hose-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3eff0b71a8QQitemZ270566912424QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
They sure aren't giving those away.

flea market, I bought 3 at rogers ohio flea market and had many people offer to buy them off me on way back to vehicle.......... some offered 30 bucks for a 2.5 gallon can.
I paid 3 bucks eacxh from a guy who was unpacking.
in any case are the old style cans still available in canada?
in any case are the old style cans still available in canada?
Yes, they were ON SALE last week at Princess Auto..at least 3 sizes
On 6/13/2010 8:38 PM, Rudy wrote:

Hum, I could go into the smuggling business. Gas cans, shower heads and toilets that flush giant loads like my old one. I think I read somewhere where smuggling R12 refrigerant from Mexico was a bigger business than smuggling cocaine. What do I know, I ostensibly obey the law, at least the ones I understand.
TDD
On 6/12/2010 2:17 AM, Brent wrote:

Blame the gov'mint. At least that is what the guy in the hardware store told me when all I could find were these new crappy cans. They may keep in fumes but I've spilled more gas with them. With no vents, you get blurping. It may be a state by state option of finding them.
Brent wrote:

Take a look at Kerosene and diesel jugs. Most of the ones sold around here are still the older non-CARB types.
--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Steve W. wrote:

If you do that, don't forget to hit the tops with a spray can of red paint before you fill them the first time, lest some busybody at the gas station get on you for using the wrong can.
(When did red become 'required', anyway? Back in stone age, we had several pretty navy blue Belknap 5-gallon cans, with a seperate tiny lid for venting. No keeper chains, though, so you always had to be careful where you set it down.)
--
aem sends...

the blue is a good idea, its for kerosene only.
mix gasoline in a kerosene container and bam explosion when using kerosene in a kerosene heater.
that happened in manufacturing somehere, kerosene got contaminated with gasolie some amish died.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

And to make matters even worse, they couldn't get any insurance... :(

i think the supplier paid some compensation. certinally hope so the kerosene was all recalled. i guess it was re refined.
interestingly the supplier faxed the amish who are allowed phones and electric in their barns but not their homes for business purposes
I was also going to suggest the red paint. I'm not sure when the standard came to be, but red is gasoline, blue for kerosene, yellow for diesel.
With any luck, green will be for E-85 fuel, when they get around to making a color for that.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Yeah, the same kid that asked what I needed oil for when I was looking for it. He didn't know lawnmowers use 10w30.

It's so they can sell more gas due to the can heating up and forcing the gas out the spout when someone forgets to a) take the pour tube out and or b) leaves the vent hole closed.
I have a yellow one that I've had for years and use for waste fluids.
--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Brent wrote:

You may be tempted to modify your new-style can so that it actually works.
I betcha there is a significant sanction, like jail, fine, and/or flailing, if you do so.
It's for the children.

Give them time and they will come up with a can that will only allow gasoline to go _in_ and never out. They have almost succeeded with that abortion with the lever you have to hold open.
Harry K

They will make them so safe that people will go back to using glass milk jugs for the ga s.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Heh! Those are harder to find than metal gas cans. However,
Empty bleach jugs work well.
But to solve the original problem: If you can snuggle the mower up next to the car, there are siphon hoses that can defeat the filling-hose interlock business on the gas tank.
wrote Re Re: Where can I get an old style non CARB 5-gal gasoline can?:

No doubt that's true. Our government to beat the terrorists, to they beat their own citizens. It's much easier to do.
And you are right, it's for the children.