Where can I find a replacement outside drain cover for an older home?

My home was built in 1947 and has stairs leading down to a basement door below ground level. At the bottom is basically a concrete floor with an old drain cover and drain pipe. The old cover has cracked into

2 pieces, so I'm trying to find a suitable replacement. Unfortunately, so far I've only been able to find lightweight metal covers which secure with screws. This old cover is very heavy metal (lead?) and basically sits down in the hole and stays put because of its weight. There are no screws. Does any body have any ideas on where I might find a replacement cover that could work like this? Something to note...I must be able to easily remove the cover whenever I want because from time to time the drain gets clogged with dirt and needs to be scooped out - so screwing it into place (even if possible) would not be ideal. Thanks for your help!
Reply to
stratford1

If you are willing to accept a plastic cover they are readily available. Personally I think the plastic ones suck when compared to any metal one, but I doubt you have a choice. Try eBay.

Reply to
scott21230

find a local machine shop they can easily make one. take along the cracked one so it can be duplicated

Reply to
hallerb

It's NOT lead. It's most likely cast iron. An old plumber likely has one. A welding shop could weld it too. Cast iron needs a special welding process, but will probably cost you $10 at most. If there is a recycler around call them too.

Reply to
businessman