Where and how to replace gas valve for Trane XV90 furnance?

The gas valve of my Trane XV90 furnace needs to be replaced, the technician from a local heating company says he will charge $525 for the parts of replacing the gas valve, but I searched through the web and found it only costs $150 for the similar gas valve.
Can you guys let me know what should I do? Should I but it online somewhere and is there any service that only does the installation for me? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Depending on local regulations, you may need a gas fitter to do the work, but often any plumber will do it.
That aside, anyone that is good with maintenance, using pipe wrenches and know how to properly disconnect the wires can easily do the job. There is probably a union on either side of the valve to make taking it out quick and simple.
What about the gas company? Some do service at reasonable rates. The $375 or so that your guy wants to charge is a bit steep.
He wants 525 $$ for the valve and no labor!, so maybe 700! Buy it for 150 and Diy or get someone to do it for 50.
Yes the technician said it is going to be $525 + labor, I think it just doesn't make any sense for me.
Thanks!
m Ransley wrote:

Thanks for reminding me. I am going to check with my gas company to see if they can do it, I am sure it should be cheaper than the $525 + labor fee.
Thanks!
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

So, where are you? I'm in NY state, and $525 would cover my gas to a lot of different places.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hilbert posted for all of us...

That seems expensive, unless there is more involved than a simple valve change. Are they doing any other work? Are you sure it's the valve? What are the symptoms? Try another heating company and get a second quote on the job..ask them to diagnose the problem, not change the valve, see what they think is wrong. It's really a very simple job to change that valve most likely but you don't sound too experienced and it IS gas..if you make a mistake you could be in trouble, so you should probably get this one done or get some more qualified help.
--

Mike S.

"Hilbert" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message
Thanks a lot for the reply and I am going to try another heating company. Thanks!