When will someone reinvent the trouble light?

When will someone reinvent the trouble light? Or should I say create a troubleFREE light.....

All my life I have battled these damn things. They are all poorly made. They are always facing the wrong way, either blinding the user or pointing away from the work. They are nearly impossible to keep pointing the right way, their hooks are poor and they eat lightbulbs like crazy. OK, I know someone will tell me to get those heavy-use bulbs, but I have tried them, and while they are more durable, they still break when the f**king trouble light falls, (and they always do). Plus, those heavy-use bulbs are nearly $3 each, and for that price I can buy a dozen regular bulbs, and just keep replacing them every few work hours because there is no way to keep them from eating bulbs. Trouble lights are aptly named because they are nothing but trouble.

This is the 21st century. Isn't it time someone comes up with a better light? One that stays put, stays the direction the user turns it, has a hook that locks in place, has some shock proof cushion for the bulb, and more. I am not complaining about the quality of the lights, because I have gotten the cheap ones that fail soon, and the costly ones that are durable. It's the DESIGN that flops every time. They are just not made to be user friendly and they are a pain in the butt no matter how much they cost.

Someone, somewhere, someday, a newly designed trouble(free) light needs to be created. We can send men to the moon and have all this technology, yet no one can make a portable light that does not fight the user and eat bulbs. Maybe it's time.....

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

I like the version I have. LED brights, a hook on each end. Half the size, diameter and weight of a traditional light. Best of all, it is rechargeable and lasts 8-12 hours on a single charge. No cord to battle with. You should get one!!

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

I love the trouble light I got used at Boeing Surplus a few years ago.

It is a bit bulky, since it has a 2-foot-long fluorescent head. But it's indestructible -- I've driven over it without damaging it. And it does have a locking hook. A nice long power cord, too. Oh, and it's waterproof and gas-tight for hazardous locations. I've actually lowered it a couple of feet into the bay without trouble.

Sorry, but one thing it doesn't have any more is a brand name.

Reply to
<josh

Where have ya been?

They invented some nice trouble free flourescent trouble lights about

20 or 30 years ago...

Doug

Reply to
Doug

I&#39;ve been using those, they only have a lifespan of about a year or so, and they eat bulbs too. If the housings were made more durable they could be an excellent product however.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

My 18Volt drill came in a kit with a light and I love it. The battery will last forever (hours) and the battery acts as an anchor so it doesn&#39;t move from where you point it. Fantastic.

Reply to
DK

have a link?

Reply to
me

Mark and Kim Smith

Cool

Is it well made?

lasts a long time?

Reply to
me

I need one of those! I didn&#39;t see any prices, but Amazon seems to have a good variety of those rechargeable LED work lights.

Mike

Reply to
Mike M.

Seems well made. I&#39;ve only had it a little while so we&#39;ll see how long it lasts. No complaints so far!

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

That particular version cost me about $56. My employer outlawed trouble lights that have an outlet in the end as unsafe. You know, the kind that can be used as extension cords? So, in looking for an alternative, we tried this rechargeable version.

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

DK wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I saw an auto trouble light on Two Guys Garage on Speed Channel,it had a magnet on the base to hold to the body,and a flex neck so you could aim it where desired,battery-powered(rechargable,IIRC).

I bought a $10 12" battery-powered fluorescent that uses 8 AA cells (12V),and has a socket for an external 12V DC power source,so I made up a

12ft.cable with alligator clips so I can connect it to the car battery. Very useful.

I&#39;ve also seen 30-LED auto trouble lights at Harbor Freight,both rechargable and battery-powered,and they also have a 6 LED battery-powered light made for wall-mounting to illuminate pic frames or bookshelves,whatever you wish to attach it to.That might make a nice trouble light.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Thanks for everyones replies, but I DO NOT want battery powered. I want plug in, 120VAC. The last thing I need is to have to change and charge batteries and have the batteries die when i am working. Thats as bad as the bulb burning out and would happen more often. On top of that, I know how they rob people with the cost of those rechargable batteries. No Thanks !!!!!

Now if they made and sold a LED light that is bright enough as a 100W bulb and uses 120VAC, I might be happy. As for the florescent trouble lights, I had one, it did not last very long.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

You need to get one of those Halogen work lamps.

I just bought a really nice and relatively cheap unit at Home Depot made by Husky. It has 2 500W Halogens (total of 1000W) with two brightness settings on each lamp. Also comes with a great adjustable stand. The lamps swivel in all directions and it folds up into a compact package. Made by Husky and all for just $39!

I used it for finishing up a siding job on my house at night and it worked great.

Reply to
blueman

I made a trouble light from a car headlight mounted in a flower pot...a long wire and some clip leads. Very bright and well focused, I can clip it onto the battery or run it on a 12v supply... pretty sturdy too...

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Agree

That&#39;s what I initially thought these LED units were.... 10vac plug in units...not battery units

Reply to
me

Just buy a sheet-metal trouble light of the normal type, and drill a couple holes in the back so you can screw a clamp to it. While you&#39;re at it, bend the wire hook into a closed loop, and slap a carbiner on it.

Reply to
Goedjn

Mark,

I&#39;ve had the same frustration you have. While it isn&#39;t perfect, I replaced the bulb in my trouble light (mine is one of those that was designed when dirt was new.....has a sort of cage over the bulb) with a CCFL....those bulbs that look like coils. It makes over 100 watts of light for only about

27 watts of power and it is more durable than filament lights. I&#39;ve banged it around a few times and it has survived so far (2 years now).

.Tim

Reply to
Tim Lewis

Mark,

I&#39;ve had the same frustration you have. While it isn&#39;t perfect, I replaced the bulb in my trouble light (mine is one of those that was designed when dirt was new.....has a sort of cage over the bulb) with a CCFL....those bulbs that look like coils. It makes over 100 watts of light for only about

27 watts of power and it is more durable than filament lights. I&#39;ve banged it around a few times and it has survived so far (2 years now).

.Tim

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ This message was posted via one or more anonymous remailing services. The original sender is unknown. Any address shown in the From header is unverified. You need a valid hashcash token to post to groups other than alt.test and alt.anonymous.messages. Visit

for abuse and hashcash info.

Reply to
Tim Lewis