When to replace shingles

I'm wondering what the rule of thumb is for when you need to replace the (asphalt) shingles on the roof. I moved into my house (in Ontario) 10 years ago, and I think the roof may have been layed around 5 years previous to that. Having said that, I do need to get my chimney repaired, and I need to replace the solar panels for the pool both this year, so I'm wondering if it's worth my while to get the shingles done at the same time or not.
I'm wondering if there's any way to estimate the remaining life of the shingles, and whether it's expensive to get shinglers to remove/ replace mounted solar panels if they have to work around them.
Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, John

Hard to guess precisely due to so many variable conditions. Here is a quick helper though. Most 3 tab shingles are rated as 20 year Most architectural types are rated at 30 or more years. Most don't last much longer than the original warranty period or life rating. If end are curled and braking, getting close to replacement time. If you have leaks, it is at or very close to replacement time.
If a lot of shingles have to be removed for the work that needs to be done, it may be time to replace. If you see signs of trouble, it may be worth replacing so you have peace of mind for the next 20 or 30 years. If they are still in good condition, why not wait a few more years and keep the money in the bank.

.
It depends on how the solar water-heating panels are mounted. if they can be easil;y moved when it is time to reroof, then you can wait a few years. But, if it will be difficult to replace the shingles after the solar panels are updated, then that is a good reason to do them both at the same time. A photo of what the roof looks like at the present time would be interesting. If you are not losing a lot of the stone granules that are on the surface of the shingles, and theyu are not curling up, they probably are good for at least five more years. You don't say where you live, as that has some influence on shingle life. Hot sumer sun or extensive repeated freezing=thawing cycles both take a toll. IF you live in the middle band of the USA, that is probably best for long shingle life.

you don't read very well :-P

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 07:56:28 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

similar to Ontario, Canada - I STILL say do it now.
If he's in Ontario California - might be a different story.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote the following:

See??? Thats why I put my location in my sig.. Ontario, NY Ontario, California aka Ontario, CA Ontario, Canada aka Ontario, CA .
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

He is in Ontario. Canada.
Good chance he gets strong summer sun and repeated freeze=thaw cycles. Up here a 20 year roof virtually NEVER lasts 20 years.
On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 18:53:05 -0700 (PDT), John

would also be doing the roof.
However, there are a few things you can check. Are there any areas where the "grit" is missing from the shingles? Any curled or loose? Check the condition od a shingle at the edge of the roof. Is it either brittle or "floppy"?
Having the roofers remove the solar panels and not damage them is a REAL long shot - and it WILL cost you.
I'm in Ontario too, and 15 years is stretching the "average" roof.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

-snip-
Plus one on that. One giant mess for this season-- a long time before you need to go through it again.
-snip-

And then having the roofers work around them in a couple years & you're adding expense on that end.
Jim
On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 18:53:05 -0700 (PDT), John

The part of the roof I could see looked good, while on the part I couldn't see, the shingles were curling. That's because I could only see from the ground the north side of the roof. It was much better than the south side.

The sun side weather side generally wear faster. With all that roof work planned I would do everything. Just for peace of mind!