When to pull an electrical permit?

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@nospammail.net wrote:

Paranoia when it comes to getting permits and inspections is common sense depending on where you live. I'm no scofflaw, but I recognize that although building permits have a safety component the laws are mostly driven by control and putting money in someones pocket. A knowledgeable person that follows accepted procedures is way better off just proceeding than waiting for trouble.
If there are that many problems, a complete rewire maybe the best course of action.
Right. If you do nothing to correct obvious problems because you are worried that a permit will end up opening a can of worms you can't afford, then you are probably putting yourself at more risk overall versus simply fixing the worse things, without a permit.
The insurance liability issue just takes it into a whole different realm of speculation.
I jumped through all the flaming hoops for my basement remodel. The inspectors seemed annoyed that I troubled them for such a small job. Rough-in inspection was 30 seconds. Final inspection was a couple of minutes. I took the time to do the job right and it showed, but it would have been nice to have an inspector check it all thoroughly.
However, it was absolutely worth it. I have the approved plans and inspection reports if they're ever needed for any reason.
-rev