When to cut firewood?

I scavenged a small black locust tree. The lengths are all too long, and much of it needs to be split.

I won't be needing any wood this year or next, so I am in no hurry. Am I better off letting it dry out before splitting/cutting, or should I do it now?

Reply to
toller

I'd do it as soon as it's convenient; it'll dry out faster after it's split. UNLESS it has to be dried to split it; not familair with black locust. Some greens can be pretty tough to split.

Pop

Reply to
Pop

This is a good time. You don't want to do it in the spring when the sap is rising. Late fall or winter is best.

It will split best after drying for a few months. Cut it to length now, split it next summer. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I should clarify this a bit more. If the wood has been down a few weeks or more and it has been very cold, below freezing for a week or so, it will split easily also. The moisture inside is frozen and a good shot with a maul and it will pop apart.

If you are using a hydraulic splitter, any time is a good time.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

if not in hurry, i would cut to length and let it dry a year before splitting. probably be much easier that way. or you can just try a couple and see if it splits easy now.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Black locust is fairly easy to split but it does spit easier the drier it gets. It is best to cut to length while it is green. Locust is notoriously hard on saws and even more so dry. Drying time is at least a year.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

If you think you'll *ever* have occasion to need a fence post I hope you left them long enough to do the job. Black locust will outlast pressure treated wood. [It's pretty good firewood, too-- but as fenceposts it has no equal]

If it is firewood-- I'll repeat what someone else said-- 'cut it to length now'. Unless you enjoy seeing sparks fly off your chain you don't want to cut seasoned locust. I would split it once it freezes-- but that might just be habit because splitting is a good Jan-Feb chore.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I cut and split the wood today. Most pieces split on the first strike. Last time I did black locust the grain was all interconnected and a single piece could take a half hour to split. I actually had to saw some of it.

Boy, different trees can be very different!

Reply to
toller