When's a Reciprocating Saw Blade Worn Out?

Page 2 of 2

He's my assistant

Now you know how to tell when a Sawzall blade is worn out!
rusty redcloud
Ken Hall wrote:

The teeth may feel and be sharp, but I bet most of the "set" has disappeared because of wearing off on the sides of the teeth.
Without a reasonable amount of set, so the slot cut is a bit wider than the base thickness of the blade, it'll bind.
Loke otheres have politely and not so politely told you, try a new blade. If it cuts better you have your answer.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
"Ken Hall" wrote

Are you for real? If you can't tell, you have no business having a saw in your hands.

Very helpful. I'll put that down as you don't know either.
Ken
Ken Hall wrote:

You can sharpen those blades, you know. Do you have a tiny rasp?
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
Ken Hall wrote:

You can say that again Ken.
Sometimes I wonder if our First amendment rights are all that good a thing. <G>
Too many guys here sound like their entire alimentary canals have gotten reversed. Sometimes the group emulates my memories of a middle school cafeteria.
BTW, since it's a 4 TPI blade, and if some of the "set" is worn off, you can probably bend the teeth (alternately) to the sides a bit by clamping the blade in a vise with just the teeth protruding and carefully tapping on them with a suitable punch and hammer.
Back when hand saws were far more prevalent special "saw setting pliers" which were used to bend the teeth sideways after sharpening them were quite common.
They're still made (in China, where else?) I guess:
http://allchinahardware.com/productPicE/b543.jpg
HTH,
Jeff
--