When's a Reciprocating Saw Blade Worn Out?

Page 1 of 2
How do you tell when a Sawzall blade is worn out? I have a blade I've been using in my Sawzall for a couple of years to cut tree limbs. It has probably cut 50-75 3-5 inch Magnolia tree limbs. Today I was trying to cut a shrub with a base of about 6". The cut went v-e-r-r-r-r-r-y slowly and it smoked while cutting this green wood. But, it still looks and feels as sharp as a brand new blade with the same tooth count.
Ken

When you can't see the saw through the smoke.
snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

It's not billowing smoke, only wisps.
Ken
Ken Hall wrote:

Greetings,
a) new blades from Harbor Freight are (were?) < $1 in a multi-pack on sale b) if you find yourself cutting a lot of 6" limbs consider a chainsaw
Hope this helps, William
Hmmm. You've gotten 2 years out of one blade? Just replace it. No point worrying about whether it's sharp or not honestly. If it's not cutting as well as it should, get a new one. Cheers, cc

Somehow I think it's the milage rather than the age.
Ken

Mine let me know it was worn out by breaking. But, it sounds like yours is ripe for replacement. They're cheap.
-- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net /

Maybe the shrub was pinching the blade.
Nick

That's one way to tell.

What looks and feels to your finger does not count. For comparison sake, cut your left toe off with the old blade. Now replace the blade and cut your right toe off. See how much smoother it went?

And you're here because?
Ken

Hey, I answered your question didn't I? If you weren't such a cheap prick you'd have a spare blade or three anyway.

Oh, and I though it was because you were a sicko who's only life was roaming newsgroups getting a twisted ego boost from putting people down.
Ken

Nah, my full time job is to piss off people like you. I get paid to do this. Really.

Well, it WAS sort of a dumb question. When it smokes and doesn't cut well, replace it. They cost what, a buck fifty?
Also, when using it to cut wet 3" limbs, it would be good to get a blade for that use. I have one and it even works pretty good with my not-too- good El-Cheapo battery recip saw. BTW, these blade are about 8" long and have big teeth that look like a tree saw. I got mine at Sears, but have seen them in the home centers too.
Ken Hall wrote:

I do that.

Sounds like mine -- maybe 4-5 teeth per inch, but maybe mine's a 6" blade -- that's 6 inches of teeth.
Ken

I could tell when my blades are gone when its smoking, when the teeth are rounded out and it doesn't bite into the wood anymore. If your teeth are as sharp as a new blade then it sounds like its still good unless the blade has lost its temper from over heating. I don't think 75 3-5 inch limbs are unreasonable for a good quality bi-metal blade when you keep a low cutting speed. But who has time for that anyway so I ware out blades more often? If a new blade doesn't make a difference then its time to take out the chain saw.
Get the Corona 37" super lopper for up to 3" limbs then chain saw anything larger. Sawzall just too slow. (Amazon.com product link shortened)23551761/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl60/103-4418919-1083032?v=glance&s=home-garden&nP7846

Pull out your dick as if you were going to take a piss. Hold the blade against your dick and start the saw. If your dick falls off, the blade is still good. If not, buy a new blade.
snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

And you're here because?
Ken
I'm sorry. Does anyone need your permission to exist, or to speak, or to point out the lack of thought implicit in your original question?
"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall find unending amusement."
(Wish I knew the source.)