When's a Reciprocating Saw Blade Worn Out?

When you can't see the saw through the smoke.

Reply to
Jimmy

Greetings,

a) new blades from Harbor Freight are (were?) < $1 in a multi-pack on sale b) if you find yourself cutting a lot of 6" limbs consider a chainsaw

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William.Deans

Hmmm. You&#39;ve gotten 2 years out of one blade? Just replace it. No point worrying about whether it&#39;s sharp or not honestly. If it&#39;s not cutting as well as it should, get a new one. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Mine let me know it was worn out by breaking. But, it sounds like yours is ripe for replacement. They&#39;re cheap.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Maybe the shrub was pinching the blade.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

How do you tell when a Sawzall blade is worn out? I have a blade I&#39;ve been using in my Sawzall for a couple of years to cut tree limbs. It has probably cut 50-75 3-5 inch Magnolia tree limbs. Today I was trying to cut a shrub with a base of about 6". The cut went v-e-r-r-r-r-r-y slowly and it smoked while cutting this green wood. But, it still looks and feels as sharp as a brand new blade with the same tooth count.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Hall

That&#39;s one way to tell.

What looks and feels to your finger does not count. For comparison sake, cut your left toe off with the old blade. Now replace the blade and cut your right toe off. See how much smoother it went?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Art Todesco

I could tell when my blades are gone when its smoking, when the teeth are rounded out and it doesn&#39;t bite into the wood anymore. If your teeth are as sharp as a new blade then it sounds like its still good unless the blade has lost its temper from over heating. I don&#39;t think 75 3-5 inch limbs are unreasonable for a good quality bi-metal blade when you keep a low cutting speed. But who has time for that anyway so I ware out blades more often? If a new blade doesn&#39;t make a difference then its time to take out the chain saw.

Get the Corona 37" super lopper for up to 3" limbs then chain saw anything larger. Sawzall just too slow.

Fred

Pull out your dick as if you were going to take a piss. Hold the blade against your dick and start the saw. If your dick falls off, the blade is still good. If not, buy a new blade.

Reply to
idontell

I do that.

Sounds like mine -- maybe 4-5 teeth per inch, but maybe mine&#39;s a 6" blade -- that&#39;s 6 inches of teeth.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Hall

Somehow I think it&#39;s the milage rather than the age.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Hall

It&#39;s not billowing smoke, only wisps.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Hall

And you&#39;re here because?

Ken

Reply to
Ken Hall

Now you know how to tell when a Sawzall blade is worn out!

rusty redcloud

Reply to
Red Cloud®

The teeth may feel and be sharp, but I bet most of the "set" has disappeared because of wearing off on the sides of the teeth.

Without a reasonable amount of set, so the slot cut is a bit wider than the base thickness of the blade, it&#39;ll bind.

Loke otheres have politely and not so politely told you, try a new blade. If it cuts better you have your answer.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Hey, I answered your question didn&#39;t I? If you weren&#39;t such a cheap prick you&#39;d have a spare blade or three anyway.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Oh, and I though it was because you were a sicko who&#39;s only life was roaming newsgroups getting a twisted ego boost from putting people down.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Hall

"Ken Hall" wrote

Are you for real? If you can&#39;t tell, you have no business having a saw in your hands.

Reply to
Ed2

Nah, my full time job is to piss off people like you. I get paid to do this. Really.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski