When it comes to cleaning your gas furnace...

What are the 3 biggest obstacles you've enountered? Thanks for thoughts.

Reply to
Rex

1.) Getting to them.

2.) Having enough room the work on them.

3.) Having room to pull the blowers out.

Why??

Reply to
kjpro

Cleaning a furnace? I thought it just kept going on forever with no service needed. Just kidding. I know people that think that way though. They ask me why their furnace is malfunctioning and I go over to check it out and most times it is because the filter is so clogged the air can`t get through. It is like people that never change the oil in their car and wonder why it doesn`t work anymore. Dan.

Reply to
Mason121

My idea of cleaning the furnace (for the average homeowner) includes cleaning the outside and getting rid of the dust on the inside (and cleaning out the parts of the ducts where you can). Is there anything else obvious that I might have missed?

Reply to
Childfree Scott
  1. My parents had one, that the gas valve was ancient. The company did the clean and check one time, and it didn't want to work after that.

  1. I've cleaned a bunch of gas furnaces, and can't really remember having any problems with them. The one gas boiler I cleaned and tried to fix still needs a water feeder and an air eliminator, and the gal doesn't have any money. Hasn't paid me for the clean and check and air bleed I already did.

  2. I've got to get out my whip and spurs and ride herd on another customer who hasn't yet paid me for three inspections I did.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

And if you are not licenced, and you are not, then the customer does not have to pay you.

Remember that.

Reply to
*CBHVAC*

Yeah, cleaning the furnace. Dusting the outsise and vacuuming ducts isn't cleaning the furnace.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

1) I thought it was an electric furnace in mom's trailer. Not knowing there was a pilot light flame and it was a gas furnace, I must have blown or sucked out the flame wet my handy Craftsman wet/dry vac. That would have been problem #1, if it had ended there. But I turned off the vac and went to lunch. Problem #1: pilot light with defective thermocoupler spewing gas into mom's mobile home. 2) Having a defective sense of smell. Upon returning to the trailer, I did not smell the gas when I went in and closed the door. That would be problem #2 3) Problem #3? Well, my dear departed mother told me that smoking was going to kill me. I never listened. So as I headed back toward the furnace, I lit up my trusty cigarette lighter, and ....
Reply to
Bill

Pretty much thats whats done AFTER you clean the unit...

Reply to
*CBHVAC*

This is Turtle.

You know here in Louisiana if you don't have a EPA card and do a hvac job that requires filling or work on the freon system. You don't have to pay that person at all. Now they can collect from you if they take the hit of no EPA card , No contractor liability, and no operator licences for the city you live in. The total cost is about $50K in fines and charges to collect a $100.00 bill not being paid. Most will not collect.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Are you feeling any better now? Which nursing home are you going to?

The way you keep consistently getting things wrong, it makes me wonder if you're even competent to drive a car. Surely, you shouldn't be doing heating. It is far too dangerous when you keep making major mistakes like you keep doing.

Can you find a good retirement home? I'm really worried about you, you know. Hope you get well soon.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Just because you are *NOT* in the business and Turtle is doesn't mean he doesn't know what he is doing.

It just means you can't understand his posting.

(if you want some advice that's likely WRONG)

Reply to
kjpro

Stormy was repling to me via Turtles post...he has alleged that I have had a stroke...and that I need to be in a nursing home...

Hes starting to get this non Mormon absession with lying...

Poor guy....

Remember, he was the one that posted as Mike, and me, and tried to get us both at each other...then denied it even when the IP numbers were checked, and traced, and went right back to the Rochester NY server that Chris uses.....right down the same node at times...

Course...I dont get all that....:-)

Reply to
*CBHVAC*