When is a Beam Too Long?

Engineers and/or Construction Can anyone tell me what is too long for a beam across two room. The beam is approximately 1 foot 3 inch wide and spans between the kitchen and the nook area. Remodeling was completed a few years ago. I have had several different responses concerning this issue and wanted to know if it would be advisable to have a 4x4 post installed. Thanks

Reply to
trax

Based on the available information I can offer a positively MAYBE.

We know nothing about the distance, or the load or how even the load may be what supports their may be... There is no way to tell safely long distance. You really need a structural engineer on site. While you may give him all the information you think is important, unless he can actually see the situation, he can only guess about what you don't see or that your don't consider important.

My advice, hire the professional.

Reply to
jmeehan

What was the response from the permit/building code office? The beam I used here for the patio cover was to long, so I cut it to 22'.

Reply to
Oren

Well, if the beam's been in place for "a few years" and nothing has collapsed, I'd venture the guess that it's not TOO long.

Reply to
HeyBub

Are you noticing any excessive deflection? Any distress in the finishes?

Whether or not the beam is sized correctly depends on the required loads & the beam geometry & material.

When you say the beam is 15" wide...do you mean 15" deep?

Properly designed a 15" deep will support a substantial load but 22' is a quite a span.

You need to hire a professional.

Cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Thank you for your responses. The beam is 20 feet long x 15 x 5. It is a big stick. It is not a load bearing wall. Thanks again,

Reply to
catsweb