when (if) to use t-molding in laminate flooring installation

When should t-moldings be used when installing laminate flooring across several rooms (or the entire level) of a home?

I believe my 1st home was installed with no t-moldings at all except some moldings for transitions between laminate and carpet/vinyl. But then again they also nailed down the laminate in some areas - a big no- no.

I'm thinking to install laminate in my current home and curious if I should divide with t-molding between rooms? or just keep it continuous without the molding. I can see where the molding might help with adjusting for crooked walls from one room to another, but moldings everywhere seems a bit unsightly.

Reply to
coloradotrout

No need for the molding unless you are transitioning to a different material, different direction, or need some adjustment.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The instructions in the package will give you specifics.

You'll need transition moldings between: * Different materials * Different levels * Areas where the planks run in different directions * Anywhere you have to cut off the interlocking edges * Every feet to provide for expansion joints, where depends on the product.

I've never had to put in the expansion joints, but if I did, I'd put them in doorways.

Reply to
SteveBell