When/How Can I Paint Over Antifreeze?

I suspect that is at about 1/100th of the concentration that it will find in your wood. That could change everything.

If I were you, I'd play it safe. Find some scrap wood, porous like the rotting wood you want to fix. Saturate that with antifreeze, wait some time and then try painting it. See how the drying goes.

Try several pieces, allowing each to dry a different amount of time before painting and drying. That should give you a pretty good idea.

mm

Then why are you planning to use just the antifreeze, and not the stuff that kills mold?

mm

It's a CARRIER for borax and boric acid, which PERMANENTLY keeps dry rot from reforming.. if you were painting, I guess it wouldn't matter too much as the paint will protect it. I have solid wood kitchen cabinets that have spots of dry rot I'm trying to restore. I cannot afford to replace them, I've sanded, vacuumed, wiped twice with bleach and water, treated, and now I want to stain. Has anyone out there done this? Do you still clean with TSP or just dry wipe off residue?

And this wood has a serious gold hue to it. No matter how many times I wipe, the cloth still colors brownish gold. I've sanded it down to the wood, but maybe bc of the dry rot, it still has that golden hue? It seems to be everywhere though, even on the healthy wood. I wanted dark gray, so do I just counteract the gold by using a navy blue? The 'weather barrel' stain color I wanted just looked like the previous color, even on a new section of cabinets. (yes I shook it) Ori should I mix the two colors in an empty can and try that?? I'm sick of messing with them at this point but I want it done right.

It's almost impossible to find anything on this subject (staining over treatment) And believe me, I've looked. PS, propylene glycol is the base for vaping oils and is in food and cosmetics. It's nontoxic in unless you drinking it, so it won't hurt animals. I checked this bc I was doing kitchen cabinets. *Ethylene glycol on the other hand, is VERY poisonous. That's regular antifreeze. Only some cars use the propylene glycol as antifreeze.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Ethylene glycol is not very poisonous. Lethal dose is about a third of a cup. It is toxic but not that toxic. Maybe twice as toxic as table salt.

Reply to
invalid unparseable