When/How Can I Paint Over Antifreeze?

Page 1 of 2
The siding on my house is paneling. Recently I noticed the first signs of deterioration (rot) on the bottom edge. I intend to saturated the bottom edge with antifreeze to kill/stop the rot, then prime and paint it. Can I prime over the antifreeze the next day? If not, how long do I have to wait? If I can't prime over the antifreeze at all, what to I do to prep it for the primer?
jim
On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 17:06:56 -0600, jim evans

Who ever told you to use antifreeze? I never heard of that. Best would be to replace the bad wood, but if you want to save that till next year or so *you will end up doing it soon*, I'd bleach the wood to kill the rot and mold, let it dry. Then apply a wood preservative, which you can buy in gallon cans. Follow up with paint as directed.
PS, If you have pets that get outside, you definately do not want to use Antifreeze or you might end up with dead pets.
Mark
Antifreeze wont stop rot or kill mold, bleach will. Wait till it dry then paint.

Paint.
jim

I hope you know which types of paint will cure correctly when contaminated with ethylene glycol.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Ethylene glycol is added to paint as a mildewcide.
jim
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:20:22 -0600, jim evans

I suspect that is at about 1/100th of the concentration that it will find in your wood. That could change everything.
If I were you, I'd play it safe. Find some scrap wood, porous like the rotting wood you want to fix. Saturate that with antifreeze, wait some time and then try painting it. See how the drying goes.
Try several pieces, allowing each to dry a different amount of time before painting and drying. That should give you a pretty good idea.

http://tinyurl.com/cf9q7 http://tinyurl.com/8p3o9
jim
Jim,
According to the articles that you cite the anti-freeze will volatize in a few days and the wood may then be painted. A lot of these articles seem to be variations of one article. I see no reason to believe or disbelieve thesearticles.
Dave M.
Rot is an organism, its alive , possibly a plant, bleach kills by removing the oxygen and works. Antifreeze may work, its a poison, but bleach I know works, is cheaper, easier and safer to use and be ready to paint. Bleach residue is easily washed as it is salt, antifreeze has an oily residue, you don`t want to paint over any residue that will affect a paints bonding . Im sure alot of poisons will kill rot, even rot gut booze. Mold is usualy present with rot and may be the organisms responsible for rot. Bleach is still a safe bet for repainting. I just used 20 gallons on a repaint to kill rot and mold and clean concrete all with a garden sprayer. With antifreeze you may need soap to remove the oily residue, put it on your hands to find out, with bleach after its dry you just rinse with water. If you have rot you still must remove it, paint won`t last even if the rot is inactive, the wood is to soft and will absorb moisture, ruining the paint. I would cut out the rot then use bleach to kill whats left. Look for black spots on the house, even pinhead size, if you have them its mold and should all be sprayed with bleach. Mold is a plant you don`t want to paint over it.

Actually it is a mold; and molds are more closely related to animals than plants. Of course that little bit of trivia is irrelevant.

So what you are saying is that mold can be a PET? Can you put a leash on it and take it for a walk? Can it be potty trained to use a litter box? Looks like the OP has a new pet !!! :)

I'd bet that the anti-freeze actively kills rot a lot longer from one application than bleach.
Bob

My understanding is that antifreeze (ethylene or propylene glycol) is used as a carrier for rot treatments, and is not itself a rot treatment. For example, TimBor is basically boric acid with antifreeze.
Cheers, Wayne
On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 19:56:32 -0600, Wayne Whitney

I'd use Tim-Bor or Bora-care depending on whether you've sanded first. (Isn't Timbor a powder?) That will not only kill the existing mold/fungus, it will inhibit future growth, too. And it's less likely to result in squirrels eating the side of your house, and then crawling into the bathroom vent to die.

Yes, Tim-Bor is a powder, I meant to say Bora-Care is basically boric acid with antifreeze.
Thanks, Wayne
Antifreeze will kill everything longer than bleach, animals and your pets to
On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 19:56:32 -0600, Wayne Whitney

You understanding is incorrect.
jim
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:34:53 -0600, jim evans

Then why are you planning to use just the antifreeze, and not the stuff that kills mold?