When Do You Apply Caulking?

I am repainting my house and are replacing some rotting woods. I am also removing old peeling paints, caulks and was wondering when do I apply caulking, before or after painting?
Thanking you in advance.

caulking,
I would caulk and then paint, so the paint covers the caulk. The paint will protect the caulk, and the overall job will look nicer since you'll have a uniform color.
However, if you use a pure silicone caulk, paint won't stick to it. Siliconized latex will hold paint.

I prefer to paint over the caulk. Of course, the caulk must state that it is "paintable." There are many types and kinds of caulks--I think the varieties have more than doubled in the last 10 years.

caulking,
I caulk first, then prime - be sure you fully prime the new wood - then paint. Once you prime all peeled-off and new areas, you will better be able to see cracks/voids you missed, and can do a touch-up caulk then. Try to keep caulk off lower sides of trim, and other places that allow wood to dry and drain, after a rain. Get the long-years caulk, don't try and save money there, and make sure it is paintable exterior caulk.
I really appreciate "ALL" the help and advices. Further, unlike many NG the posters here are very helpful and I salute everyone here. I am indeed grateful.
Thanks again.
PS. I replaced the rotting woods on one windows during the weekend and this afternoon I caulked it. I hope to start on the next window tomorrow. I hope to paint both windows before it rain.

Jim B wrote:

I think caulk stick longer if the wood has paint on it. Make sure any new boards and bare areas have been primed, then caulk. Then put on your final coats of paint. Latex caulk including siliconized latex must be painted or it will deteriorate.