When did builders start using OSB for floor joists?

Reply to
DD_BobK

And where do roofing nails go? When using OSB roof sheathing.

Reply to
clare

s. >And where are sheathing nails supposed to go?

Good point about roof sheathing..my bad. I was thinking floor diaphragms & shear walls.

but I stand by my comment...

OSB is a decent product, especially when you consider its price and utilization of a wide range of wood specimen.

check out

randboard-and-plywood/

Reply to
DD_BobK

cks. > >And where are sheathing nails supposed to go?

en...- Hide quoted text -

From what I've seen in some looking at plywood vs OSB for roof sheathing, I tend to agree. Most info indicated that they had similar and certainly acceptable nail holding ability. Another data point would be the shingle manufacturers. You would think that if OSB were not acceptable and plywood was preferred, they would have something to say on the subject. I have not seen one that says you can't use OSB.

Reply to
trader4

"OSB is a decent product, especially when you consider its price and

utilization of a wide range of wood specimen."

I don't want to be a stickler for details, but I think you meant to say:

"OSB is a decent product, especially when you consider its price and utilization of a wide range of wood species."

Here in Canada, we've had huge areas planted with only one kind of tree laid to waste by the Formosan Pine Beetle. Having multiple species of pine, spruce, fir and other fast growing coniferious trees not only slows the spread of such parasites, but it helps the forest recover better after after an attack.

Ditto for agriculture. Mixed farming is the most sustainable form of agriculture. It's not great for maximizing profits, but it prevents any one parasite from destroying the farmer's whole crop, and that's good for sustainability.

Reply to
nestork

I guess my memory is failing me. After looking through our building photos (from 2003) it appears we used 3/4" Structurwood Gold OSB T&G subflooring.

In any case, when nailed to the joists with construction adhesive it made a rock solid floor. We didn't notice any edge swelling or other issues despite being exposed to the weather for a few months during construction.

Many years ago my father-in-law closed in his carport with "waferwood". Kind of a really cheap version of OSB. Surprisingly, other than looking terrible, it held up fairly well to nearly 30 years of weather exposure.

Anthony Watson Mountain Software

HerHusband

I've pulled siding nails out with my bare fingers. That's enough "instrumentation" for me.

Where are the siding nails supposed to go, moron?

It's crap, you're right, it's cheap crap.

Reply to
krw

replying to SMS, Rondog wrote: I first saw it built into our then new 100k sq ft.building back in 1990 here in calif. We thought it was sketchy but the building is still there. However when we walked on the roof, there was a noticeable bounce to our steps.

Reply to
Rondog