When a gallon is not a gallon

Page 1 of 7
I recently went to our favorite big box store. While wandering around the paint department, I noticed that most brands sold there are no longer full gallons. They were one pint less than a gallon. Yet, spread rate magically remains the same! Of course the price remains the same! I live in the southeast United State and am curious to know if this has happened in other areas. (Quarts are now 28 ounces).
Add pictures here
✖

Everything has to be shipped, and freight rates have gone through the roof due to the cost of oil, whose price is determined via a system best described as off-track betting. Manufacturers have a choice to make. They can raise their prices, or they can shrink their products. Customers vary as far as which they'd prefer to see happen.
Why the coverage rate remains the same is beyond me. There's a toll free number on the label. You should call that number and let us know what you find out.
Add pictures here
✖

Perhaps if you think about it for another hour or two, you'll figure it out.
Then again, maybe you won't.
Hint: coverage is quoted in square feet per *gallon*. Not square feet per *can*.
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 27, 7:23 pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Sorry, I must have had my weekly moment of stupidity.
Add pictures here
✖

Good point.
Add pictures here
✖

Lesson: Stay away from big box stores.
My pre-mixed Ben Moore paint is still a full gallon The tintable base though, is 126 ounces so they have room to add the tint.
Add pictures here
✖
On 02/27/08 05:49 pm greg2468 wrote:

Sherwin-Williams said that some of their paints are a fraction (can't remember how much) under a gallon to leave room for the tints. And I just checked the Pittsburgh paints we bought last week: 3 7/8 quarts, not the full gallon; I hadn't noticed before. We're in the Midwest.
How many brands of ice cream still have full half-gallon packs? Most are 56oz. instead of 64oz.
-=- Perce
Add pictures here
✖
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

And a pound of coffee went from 16 ounces to 15, then to 14 and now to 13.5 ounces. A pound of butter I recently noticed was 15 ounces even though there was plenty of room in the tub for another ounce. I think it's called 'bend over a little more while I shove it in a little farther.'
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

Add pictures here
✖
message

I think your message is called "I've never run a business, so I don't have a clue."
Add pictures here
✖
clipped

Interesting......is that a Walmart pound? My butter says 16 oz.

Add pictures here
✖
message

Maybe that's what their using the other ounce for!!??
Rich
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 27, 6:47 pm, "Blattus Slafaly £ ¥ 0/00 :)"

re: A pound of coffee went from 16 ounces to 15, then to 14...
No, it didn't.
re: A pound of butter I recently noticed was 15 ounces
No, it wasn't.
A pound is 16 oz. Always was, probably always will be.
Add pictures here
✖

So be a literalist if that makes you hard. We know what the poster was talking about.
Add pictures here
✖
DerbyDad03 wrote:

The perception will always be but the contents may vary.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

Add pictures here
✖
message wrote:

Umm.....NO. These are definitions carved in stone. A pound is 16 ounces. Period. End of discussion.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 17:51:25 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
-snip--

No it isn't. a pound of gold is only 12 ounces.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖

re: a pound of gold is only 12 ounces
Apples and bananas, sort of.
A troy pound of gold is 12 troy ounces, while an avoirdupois pound of gold is 16 avoirdupois ounces, but gold is never measured in avoirdupois ounces, so a pound of gold is indeed only 12 ounces. Damn - I just made myself dizzy!
It's kind of like a dollar only equals a dollar if we are talking about the currency of a single country. e.g. US$1.00 <> CAN$1.00
Add pictures here
✖
DerbyDad03 wrote:

And a barrel of oil if 40 gallons instead of 55. We took a screwing on that barrel.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:39:05 -0500, Blattus Slafaly £ ¥ 0/00 :)

Nope. It heen been 42 gallons since the late 1800's. That a barrel for other purposes is 55 gallons is irrelevent.
Add pictures here
✖
DerbyDad03 wrote:

And "A pint's a pound, the world around."
Add pictures here
✖