Wheelbarrow Tire Pressure

I have an old wheelbarrow with an inflatable tube tire. I have repaired a hole in it but need to know what the air pressure should be when I fill it. There is a label on the wheel rim that I believe gives the pressure, but the numbers are obscured. Any ideas?

Reply to
Ultraglide

Mine is 50

Reply to
gfretwell

Until it is firm. Not hard when you squeeze the tire from the side walls.

Reply to
SQLit

Ultra,

Try 10-12 psi.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Hi, Ditto on mine. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Mine are rated at 50 PSI, but I usually keep about 70-80 PSI. It helps with cornering and braking. Plus you can get a hell of a bounce going when you are going down a set of steps. Watch out for those spontaneous decompressions, though. They can put an eye out.

;-)

Reply to
Robert Allison

I am glad you asked and didn't just go out there and do the wrong thing. So many things must be considered:

What will be the ambient temperature?

Will you be hauling heavy or light materials?

How fast will you be going?

What kind of ground will you be covering, rough or smooth?

Does the barometric pressure in your area vary greatly?

The proper care and maintenence of wheelbarrows requiress a high caliber spendy pressure gauge, storage in a temperature/humidity controlled environment, proper rotation, regular air changes, and regular inspections by a qualified expert.

But, if you are like the rest of us, you just put enough in it to make it easy to push.

HTH

Steve ;-)

Reply to
SteveB

Years old or PSI?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Yep. Most are only 15-20 psi.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Mine is 35. I know this because I have to fill the darn thing up every time I use it - it has a slow leak so I always have to drag out the compressor.

Reply to
Unrevealed Source

I don't have a clue, nor do I care. I fill it until it is hard enough to not sag when loaded. This is not like a finely tuned race car at 185 mph where a couple of pounds means losing control in the turns.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I can tell you don't take your wheelbarrow to the edges of its envelope ....................

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Speak for yourself. Some of us do indeed run high performance wheelbarrows, and losing control in a turn with a full load of compost onboard could be very ugly indeed.

I generally keep mine at 92.5 pounds (cold).

Reply to
Dan C

Take it to a full-service tire store (one that also does farm-industrial tires) and pay them 20 bucks to put a new tube or whatever in it. I did that for a handtruck with leaky Chinese tubes in the tires, and it was worth the money to watch the tire guy fighting with those tiny rims, jumping on them to set the beads, etc. I about bust a gut trying not to laugh. And it hasn't leaked down in 8 years.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

I just put air in it when it looks low, until its solid. If it compresses too much with a load I know I need some air.

Reply to
No

Mine is 51 and 50.

Reply to
Phisherman

Whatever pressure makes the tire "look good" when fully loaded.

If yer hauling sawdust or garden debris, maybe 15 lbs. A big load of rocks in a 5 CF barrow, probably 40 YMMV

Reply to
Rudy